VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Night Drive Studios, who managed to get the rights to System Shock 2 a while back (so those of us who never bought that brilliant game back then could do so now) have reputedly obtained the rights to the first game too. So hopefully very soon System Shock will be available to purchase (sadly it's probably going to be download only, not a physical purchase with a box and everything), which is great news for those of us who only got to play SS via the brilliant System Shock Portable fan project, which is now no longer available, it was taken down when NDS informed SSP's host of their purchase of the game's rights.

It remains to be seen, though, if a newly purchasable version of System Shock will be fully recompiled to run natively in Windows and support modern first person shooter conventions (such as re-definable keys, proper mouse-look, higher resolutions, etc) or if it will just be the original DOS game, in which case players will probably have to add the features themselves, via the patches that were incorporated into SSP.

Anyway, now there'll be no excuse for people not to legally own this great game!

Reply 2 of 42, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Nice I have always thought SS1 was better than SS2.

I like them both equally for different reasons. SS1 is a lot more atmospheric and explorative than SS2, given cyberspace and its varying environments. SS2 however has a stronger combat engine, simpler controls, and multiplayer. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 42, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope they supply the original ISO. I lost my original CD years ago. 🙁

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 4 of 42, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MusicallyInspired wrote:

I hope they supply the original ISO. I lost my original CD years ago. :(

That would be the simplest approach, sure, but since System Shock has no CD Audio tracks, they may decide not to do that. I think it's going to depend mostly on the attitude, skill and approach of whoever does the porting.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 5 of 42, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have my original CD buried somewhere. Never got anywhere near to playing it.

I hope the SSP people release an "installer" of some sort that will effectively re-build SSP from whatever package ends up being released. I understand it was a pretty good piece of work.

And I'd still like to hear at least a little of the story from Night Dive about what they've been doing. Even if it's all very boring, I'd like to see just how boring it is.

Reply 6 of 42, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume that System Shock would be like a typical GoG release, DOSBox bundled with PDF manuals and an install of the game that would not be simple to get running on appropriate hardware.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game can just be downloaded from this archive project...

If the game doesn't use CD Audio tracks, I actually prefer it it runs from a folder. Makes it easier to add to my 120 GB drive on my Socket 7 machine. But if they remove the SETUP files to change sound cards and things like that, that's not cool.

Luckily GOG is getting better. The Doom release, unlike Steam, includes all the SETUP files.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9 of 42, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd really like to see a HD version of System Shock. Yup, the one uses OpenGL, runs natively on Windows, but still retains its MIDI music so that I could use sound fonts with it. Re-texturing is okay as long as it keeps the game's original 'look and feel' --things like DOS-era vibrant colors instead of different shades of grey.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 42, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That'd be hard since most of System Shock's aesthetic is brought to you by the power of Deluxe Paint's gradient fill 😁 if it does get a reboot you know it'll just take the dxhr techno piss ambience and/or crank up the bloom like it's 2006.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 42, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

That'd be hard since most of System Shock's aesthetic is brought to you by the power of Deluxe Paint's gradient fill 😁 if it does get a reboot you know it'll just take the dxhr techno piss ambience and/or crank up the bloom like it's 2006.

Um.... say again? So, is such aesthetic hard to reproduce with modern shader?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 12 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG has released it!

System Shock: Enhanced Edition.

Buy through this link to support DOSBox

Was an instant buy for me 😊

Reply 13 of 42, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unlike most GOG releases they seem to have actually included a number of community mods/fixes.... this release runs natively under Windows, includes 1024x768 resolution and a mouselook mode.

See here for details
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=8030.0

I've completed the game before but it might be worth playing again to see how different it is with the new interface 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 14 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

I'm downloading the installers. There are two version in your library. Enhanced Edition (90 MB) and Classic Edition (360 MB). Hopefully it's an ISO installation image!

Reply 16 of 42, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

"the game runs natively under windows, no (slow) dosbox emulation"

🙄

That's cold. They have started their business around DOSBox.

The classic version does use DOSBox though.

The classic edition comes with 3 shortcuts. One to run SETUP and configure sound, one for floppy version, one for CD version. I'm burning the ISO image (.bin) and hopefully it's a full installation disc.

EDIT / Update!

YES! The image is the full installation CD! Here running in 640 x 480 on a Celeron 300 😁

x9jOACal.jpg

Attachments

• System Shock.PNG
    Filename
    System Shock.PNG
    File size
    64.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 42, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

"the game runs natively under windows, no (slow) dosbox emulation"

🙄

That's cold. They have started their business around DOSBox.

Not to worry, that comment is not from the GoG team. Using the term slow with emulation is kind of redundant, emulation will always be slower than native source ports etc.

Reply 19 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is an exciting release. Had to check this out ASAP, Also to see what is new in the "Enhanced Edition".
It works well 😀, I am not sure what this is though: Is this a custom Dosbox like wrapper for the original DOS code? Or is this a completely decompiled + recompiled program, like the OpenDune project? SShock.exe is just 200kB, so I suspect the bulk of the program is in SShock.dat. SShock.exe requires SDL2.dll.

Edit: I think it is a wrapper/emulator like Dosbox, why else would the drivers mpu401.mdi and sb16.dig still be retained. sb16.dig being a Miles audio driver for the Sound Blaster 16 (ISA). Sb16.dig was modified recently. Probably by swapfix.com, which is included in the classic edition, and described as "SB16.DIG stereo fix".

Edit2: Source "This is the CD version of the game, now running through a custom windows loader that has been created by Malba Tahan". More info on an older SHLink version, with source code.

"sshock.ini" has these options:

[SSHOCK]
FullScreen=Yes
FullScreenMode=Desktop
WindowWidth=1024
WindowHeight=768
Filter=Nearest
Stretch=Proportional
SoftRenderer=Off
VSync=No
VideoMode=5
CustomWidth=854
CustomHeight=480
CustomAspect=0
UseModePicking=On
Language=English
MouseHand=Right
DoubleClickTime=21845
Joystick=On
JoyDeadZone=5000
JoyDivider=100
GammaCorrection=19005
TextLength=Normal
OnlineHelp=On
MusicVolume=100
SoundVolume=100
AudiologVolume=100
Messages=Both
SoundChannels=8
StereoSound=Normal

There is also "controls.cfg" with the profiles "original", "custom" and "lefthanded". Each key of these presets can be modified.

As for the Classic Edition: the executables outside of the CD image are the untouched original files:
SSHOCK.EXE, dated 28-11-1994 06:31, size 1.254.195
CDSHOCK.EXE, dated 28-11-1994 06:31, size 1.543.695
INSTALL.EXE, dated 24-08-2015 21:09, size 360.233 (no differences despite date)

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul