VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game comes with GLQuake 0.95. It crashes when I try to set a resolution through a shortcut, but replacing it with GLQuake 0.97 gets it going.

Is the unofficial 1.13a recommended?

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 22 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No because that's an outdated sourceport that bills itself as a GLQuake version and adds cruft like torch glows and 'bumpmaps' (read: actually alphablended detail texture).. It's also old and doesn't resolve the real issues it has compared to the canonical software renderer.

The standard purist GL recommendation would be either FitzQuake or Quakespasm. These are solid sourceports built for the purist mapping community in mind and is developed with great restraint to not shove in eyecandy where it doesn't belong.

I personally prefer DirectQ because it's a DX9 purist engine that uses pixel shaders to recreate some software renderer effects, but that's just me 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 23 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info!

Quakespasm worked very well. I first burnt the CD, then installed Quake from the CD, then copied Quakespasm and ran it. It plays the music from the inserted CD.

For those interested, the burnt CD of Quake works fine on a Windows 98 machine, but the two mission pack CDs do not install correctly. The installers crash with various errors 😒

I haven't tried copying just the game folders, that likely will work, but haven't gotten around to it.

At the moment I'm just happy to have an original Quake CD with CD audio tracks 😀 I was looking for one for a while, and they are not that cheap on eBay. I did buy one a while ago, but it turned out to be for the Amiga 🤣

EDIT: DirectQ also works very well. Plays music from the CD too 😀

Reply 24 of 28, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice but a bit pricey (Bethesda, 'nuff said). Did they include Jeehun Hwang's music for Quake Mission Packs?

BTW, Quakespasm also supports FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 and more. 😎

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 25 of 28, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, both mission packs have their unique CD audio tracks.

Can someone confirm whether Battlespire or Redguard has CD audio tracks?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 26 of 28, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't help but think about taking a shower when I consider that Bethesda, through Zenimax, are releasing some of the greatest games ever made ... which they didn't actually make. And have, in many ways, destroyed and continue to destroy.

The last good game Bethesda made was Morrowind. At least MachineGames (Starbreeze) did a great job on Wolfenstein. They did the iD guys proud with that one. Shame about Doom and ... Fallout.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 27 of 28, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

Yes, both mission packs have their unique CD audio tracks.

Thanks!

Iris030380 wrote:

Can't help but think about taking a shower when I consider that Bethesda, through Zenimax, are releasing some of the greatest games ever made ... which they didn't actually make. And have, in many ways, destroyed and continue to destroy.

The last good game Bethesda made was Morrowind. At least MachineGames (Starbreeze) did a great job on Wolfenstein. They did the iD guys proud with that one. Shame about Doom and ... Fallout.

Agreed. Fallout: New Vegas by Obsidian wasn't bad, either.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 28 of 28, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I've mucked around with Quake a little bit yesterday.

Here is a brief guide for extracting the audio files and how do de-emphasise the audio files for Quake (not necessary for the mission CDs).

Mount the BIN/CUE images and rip the audio files

I used the free version of Daemon tools. The BIN/CUE images are in C:\GOG Games\Quake

Quake CD: game.cue and game.gog
Mission CD 1: gamea.cue and gamea.gog
Mission CD2: gamed.cue and gamed.gog

Then I extracted the audio as WAV files using Windows Media Player. Other programs can be used of course, I just used WMP very easy to use. You can also rip to OGG or MP3, but I prefer having raw WAV.

The ripped WAV files end up in C:\Users\your user name\Music\Unknown artist

de-emphasising the WAV files from the Quake CD

The Quake Audio CD has pre-emphasised, and without going too much into the details (you can read up on that via Google), it makes the music sound overly bright / harsh / metallic.

So we need to de-emphasise them.

To do this, extract SoX - Sound eXchange into the folder that has the Quake WAV files. Then copy the batch file (deemph.bat), which is attached to this message, into the same folder. Run it, and it will de-emphasise all WAV files, and rename them.

Renaming WAV files

If you ran deemph.bat, the WAV files will be renamed correctly. The files for the two missions packs need to be renamed to:

track02.wav
track03.wav
track04.wav and so on

Quake CD has 10 tracks from track02.wav to track11.wav
Quake Mission Pack 1 and 2 have 8 tracks from track02.wav to track09.wav

Copying the WAV files into the Quake directory

The WAV files for Quake go into:

C:\GOG Games\Quake\id1\music

The WAV files for the Misison Pack 1 go into:

C:\GOG Games\Quake\hipnotic\music

The WAV files for Mission Pack 2 go into:

C:\GOG Games\Quake\rogue\music

Quake engines

I recommend using a modern Quake engine. There are many, but the one I tested and works well is Quakespasm

Delete opengl32.dll

The 64 bit version of Quakespasm doesn't have this issue. But with the 32 bit version it will go through a wrapper, so delete opengl32.dll from C:\GOG Games\Quake.

Download links:

https://www.daemon-tools.cc/products/dtLite

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/

Video tutorial

I've done a video showing all of this if you're more a visual / auditory person like I am 😀

https://youtu.be/eF4GSsffbSE

Attachments

• Filename
    deemph.zip
    File size
    237 Bytes
    Downloads
    63 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception