VOGONS

Common searches

Scariest Level Ever?

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 47, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the dungeons in Ultima VI, where you had to retrieve a dragon's egg from a load of dragons. I smartly went in with all of my party equipped with invisibility rings - most of which survived right up until the point where I retrieved the egg, between about five dragons.

shiiiiiiit. run away! The heartbeat type music sounded pretty decent on my soundblaster at the time.

Reply 23 of 47, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asylum in ShadowMan and Hell in first Diablo.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 24 of 47, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:
I'm voting for Thief 3: Deadly Shadows - Robbing the Cradle […]
Show full quote

I'm voting for Thief 3: Deadly Shadows - Robbing the Cradle

I still remember playing this late at night all alone and with the lights out.

EDIT:

Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4YZuRUgXA

Yes, that would be my vote too. All the more amazing as (a) Thief 3 (or any other Thief game) isn't scary in any other levels, and (b) there aren't even any enemies in the first part of the level, it's just you, the building, and the atmosphere! You and I aren't alone in thinking the Cradle part is amazingly unnerving, it's a popular choice when this sort of question comes up, beating out even Amnesia, System Shock 2, the Resident Evil games (though personally I never found the RE games too atmospheric), and the Silent Hill games. Though if I had to leave out Thief 3's Cradle, I'd say Silent Hill 2, as that game's atmosphere was really good (well, really horrible, but good as in strong!). I've not played Silent Hill 3 onwards (only 1 and 2), so I can't comment on those myself.

Incidentally, for anyone who hasn't played the modern Thief reboot, there's a very Cradle like part in that game. It's similar in idea and intent, but *hugely* inferior in every way. In fact, just don't bother with the Thief reboot, it did almost nothing right Just stick to Thief 1, 2, 3, plus the best freeware mods, and the free fan made Thief games The Dark Project (http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/) and Thievery UT (http://www.thieveryut.com/).

Reply 26 of 47, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really didn't have a problem with Andariel. Duriel is much easier with a melee character to distract him and a ranged character to just pump shots in. (He is scary first time when he kills you in no time at all. I did Zeal Paladin popping rejuves + someone as Bow Amazon.) Mephisto is just catch him on the level geometry and get shots on him. I haven't got to Diablo and Baal just yet.

IMHO, I had more problems with the quest superuniques. Blood Raven and Izual are mostly just annoying, but the Summoner and Radament were much tougher. Honourable mention to the council members with the fire snakes - that's at least scary looking.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 27 of 47, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
calvin wrote:

Duriel is much easier with a melee character to distract him and a ranged character to just pump shots in.

Duriel was the most surprise for my necromant. 😀 Others were easier, including Diablo himself.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 28 of 47, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:
squareguy wrote:
I'm voting for Thief 3: Deadly Shadows - Robbing the Cradle […]
Show full quote

I'm voting for Thief 3: Deadly Shadows - Robbing the Cradle

I still remember playing this late at night all alone and with the lights out.

EDIT:

Here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4YZuRUgXA

Yes, that would be my vote too. All the more amazing as (a) Thief 3 (or any other Thief game) isn't scary in any other levels, and (b) there aren't even any enemies in the first part of the level, it's just you, the building, and the atmosphere! You and I aren't alone in thinking the Cradle part is amazingly unnerving, it's a popular choice when this sort of question comes up, beating out even Amnesia, System Shock 2, the Resident Evil games (though personally I never found the RE games too atmospheric), and the Silent Hill games. Though if I had to leave out Thief 3's Cradle, I'd say Silent Hill 2, as that game's atmosphere was really good (well, really horrible, but good as in strong!). I've not played Silent Hill 3 onwards (only 1 and 2), so I can't comment on those myself.

Incidentally, for anyone who hasn't played the modern Thief reboot, there's a very Cradle like part in that game. It's similar in idea and intent, but *hugely* inferior in every way. In fact, just don't bother with the Thief reboot, it did almost nothing right Just stick to Thief 1, 2, 3, plus the best freeware mods, and the free fan made Thief games The Dark Project (http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/) and Thievery UT (http://www.thieveryut.com/).

You said it better than I could and I agree.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 30 of 47, by mrferg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason the dianogas in the 3rd Dark Forces level Anoat City freaked me out as a kid. I'd even cheat and skip levels just so I didn't have to see the dianogas. Apparently I was a wuss of a 10 year old. 🤣

PacBell 386sx
Gateway 2k P75
HP Pav 7360 MMX200
SE440BX-2, P2 450
3 Modernish Dell Precisions

Reply 33 of 47, by ragnar-gd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. System Shock 2
1.1 When hearing the Zombies, looking for me, desperately saying "Run! Run away! Kill me... please..."
1.2 First contact with the sirring midwifes
1.3 Anything else. A real nightmare.
2. Shadow of Chernobyl
2.1 ... when down in the factory, among the remains of the experiments, running from the pseudo-giant and the invisible suckers at the same time. I didn't know they both could be killed using the right guns and AIMING until very later... 😁 ... and I still shake a bit when entering that level today.
2.2 I never shot at the feral dogs. As they pittied me, while one of the dogs was hobbling and yelped, i shot at those bandits. The next time i was on that level, and some bandits ambushed me, bringing me down nearly, the dogs attacked them, saving me, half of them dying in that onslaught. Waiting for them to rip me apart. Seeing them running around me, barking happily instead. Goosebumps. At that time i forgot i was playing a game (which i do not very often).
3. Bio-Shock
3.1 ... when that damned su**er committed suicide with me as his tool. Definitely not for below 18, and not SFW either...
3.2 ...when i fould the remains of some parents, still clinging to each other, reading their last message about their deparation about loosing their child, and then taking those poison pills...

My posts on the subject of W98SE legacy are dedicated to Rudolph Loew, (+11/ 2019, *1952), as without his work my builds would not be possible.

Reply 34 of 47, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ohhhh boy. I forgot about literally every time you're above ground in Metro 2033. Scary stuff, there.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 35 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if this is scary:
http://www.gog.com/game/amnesia_the_dark_descent
At least it was made to be scary. But IMO Movies have so far done a far better job at being scary then games. The usual save/load option in games makes bad user actions and their consequences a trivial matter.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 36 of 47, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is going to sound lame, but I was creeped out by E1L2 of DOOM.
Keep in mind this was the first time I ever played the game (or anything like it), and it was late at night with me immersed into the game on headphones and a joystick.
Level 1 was pretty simple, but in level 2 the level design gets a little more involved and you slow down. The music for that level also sets a more scary mood. I have a slow and methodical approach to that game, especially back then, so that certainly contributed. Got a few jump scares on that one and I was panicked by some ambushes.

I am not a run and gun FPS player. Never have been. Put me in front of a modern FPS and I am hopeless.

My nephew *is* a modern FPS player, but if you asked him, I'm pretty sure he'd say that Quake still scares him. I used to try to play that game with him when he was a kid. He'd ask me to play but he was afraid to play it himself. It came up in conversation, and I'm honestly not sure if he would even be willing to confront it today. I think it scarred him. I probably shouldn't have played it with him.

Reply 37 of 47, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Ever"... I would need to think about... possibly in the school of Silent hill... everytime one of those wee buggers jumped out of nowhere!

Another more recent though... the dream, Tranquility Lane (When you sit in the chair) of Fallout 3 was kinda freaky.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 39 of 47, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read this as "Scariest Level Editor" at first, I was a little confused by the comments within. 😜 I vote Quake armyknife for the scariest level editor. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!