Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look at it!

boxart1.jpg
boxart2.jpg

What were they thinking??

Let's see yours.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 47, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These three are not some of my favourites...

rps20151014_220448.jpg
Filename
rps20151014_220448.jpg
File size
142.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
rps20151014_220520.jpg
Filename
rps20151014_220520.jpg
File size
220.08 KiB
Views
File license
rps20151014_220924.jpg
Filename
rps20151014_220924.jpg
File size
106.13 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 7 of 47, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
http://www.mobygames.com/images/covers/l/111091-twinsen-s-odyssey-dos-front-cover.jpg […]
Show full quote

111091-twinsen-s-odyssey-dos-front-cover.jpg

The green sea and the bright red rocks and the character's teal shirt really sell this one. Somebody only knew how to put '00' or 'FF' into the RGB wheel.

I *like* the '90s CG style a lot of the time but you have to *know what you're doing* with colours and shading to make it look good. I'll excuse Rayman up there because he's a (somewhat) iconic character, but that box cover itself was really phoned in.

(On that note did they name him "Rayman" as in "Ray-traced man"? Never made that connection until now.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 47, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of the worst ones I've seen is Karnaaj Rally on the GBA, absolutely horrible:

d2caf2d531d90eff07a47e05f20cdae5-worst-covers-in-videogame-history.jpg

Also, LGR did a video about the worst cover art in his collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRc88azfsKY

Reply 9 of 47, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

These three are not some of my favourites...

rps20151014_220520.jpg

lmao that fish is off his head 🤣

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 11 of 47, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexter311 wrote:

One of the worst ones I've seen is Karnaaj Rally on the GBA, absolutely horrible:

http://0.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/21/94/d2caf2d … ame-history.jpg

Also, LGR did a video about the worst cover art in his collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRc88azfsKY

Lmao...that is absolutely ridiculous!

Reply 12 of 47, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just spotted this on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Bit-Stereo-ISA-Sou … rgAAOSwR0JUMFCt

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 13 of 47, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some years ago there was an interesting version of Jazz Jackrabbit up for sale on E-bay:

2ee8utk.jpg

I showed this to a friend of mine and he remarked " What the hell does John McClane have to do with Jazz? " 🤣 . I also posted this on Jazz2 Online and hilarity ensued:

ipy5i1.jpg

Someone snatched it, but (un)fortunately never uploaded a higher quality scan 😜.

Reply 14 of 47, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

14dhhkx.jpg

Just found these. Local distribution of shareware Wolf3D and Blake Stone, not sure why they couldn't use the regular cover art instead of these camp illustrations ...

Reply 15 of 47, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

Look at it!

What were they thinking??

They're thinking "we have to look modern 90s fast". A lot of early 90s stuff is this haphazardly abstract simple shapes style, most of it dating pretty fast for even in the 90s itself still resonating from the radness from the decade before and some were too late in catching the memo.

Speaking of which..... *cough*Jill of the Jungle's "ready to go" shareware cover*cough*

But what I really want to post is this Diamond Monstersound M80 box but I couldn't find a hires pic of it anywhere 🙁 it's probably the most ridiculous unappealing Diamond hardware box art EVER. Here's a thumbnail

diamond-monster-sound-m80-sound-card-48-khz-stereo-pci-analog-devices-ad2181.jpg

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 47, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really hated that time in the late 90s when every retail box for PC hardware seemed to have some idiot's face or some "cool people" plastered on the front. I guess this one is from a bit later...but still.

51b9pT8o9wL._SY355_.jpg

I really want to punch that guy.

I don't know why, but I feel like we had this same discussion a few years ago.

geforce256box.jpg

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium