VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all,
I booted up my pentium 133 today in hopes of playing some TES Arena. However, when I started a new game I got to where you get the key to open your cell, and it freezes. I can do CTRL-ALT-DEL but after a few seconds it freezes windows. So I have to press the reset switch on the pc. It also happened with daggerfall, it would crash and not even load. However I did the huge install and the no-cd trick (fall.exe z.cfg), maybe that is it. I could try another PC (my K6-2 400) but I'm afraid it might make arena play too fast. Not sure about daggerfall though. I ordered a retail copy of DF (because it was $8 on ebay and came with the back artwork, woo!) My specs are: Windows 98SE, Pentium 133mhz CPU, 32mb ram, dual hdd's (not sure on sizes) and ESS Audiodrive sound card. Thanks, -A

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 4, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ill check that out, I'm guessing i just boot in dos mode?

Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 3 of 4, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, and be sure any necessary drivers are loaded. You'll need at least a mouse driver and, if your sound card is PnP, an utility to initialize it in DOS. Usually older sound cards add their initialization utilities to DOSSTART.BAT (so when you ask Windows to "Reboot in DOS mode" they will run, but Windows doesn't come with pure DOS mouse drivers).

Reply 4 of 4, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried in dos mode w/ all drivers loaded. Same deal w/ Arena, have not tested daggerfall. One other thing I noticed with daggerfall is it will give me random errors sometimes (in the middle of gameplay). But my copy of DF came in the mail today so I'll be testing it out! 😊