VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10/15/micro … medium=facebook

Microsoft is now forcing the upgrade on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users. Don't leave your PC on and connected to the internet overnight, it might have Windows 10 installed when you wake up in the morning.

Reply 1 of 33, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm already there. Although I don't trust it for my torrenting/deepweb, I like it for its looks.

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 33, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Time to step up my Linux Learning Experience (and move up the date window for Phase II 😏 ).

BTW, I found this tidbit in one of the article's comments:

What the idiot writing the article left out is that this affects only the people who ordered Windows 10. If you are not gong to install it, don't order it. If you are waiting to see if they work the bugs out then wait to order it. You have a year to do so.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 3 of 33, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, they are just delivering what they promissed for users who asked for the upgrade. MS would NEVER just force people to upgrade without some sort of consent: their business users would unleash the hounds on them.

Reply 5 of 33, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CIA and NSA want info about you very much. Even laws and resonable sense are not important.

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Time to step up my Linux Learning Experience

Time to think about virtualization (but they may overcome this too, at least for USA, EU made VMs). Win10 is needed at least for games, but to give to this spying crap access to main HDD is not good idea.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 6 of 33, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm happy with Windows 7, and since Windows 10 doesn't yet offer anything that I want then I'm sticking with Windows 7 since it works fine, and I know how to use it. The people who rush to upgrade to any new version of Windows just because it is new, are mostly those people who lack much understanding of how computers work or what an operating system is. I'm not knocking these people, of course - I'm largely clueless about how the organs in my body work, and that's much more important than how a PC works, so if someone wants to have a PC and just use Facebook and/or play PC games then that's fine, but these peoples' actions shouldn't be used as a gauge as to what's good for PC users generally.

Personally I'd never use a new version of Windows until it had been out a while, preferably until Service Pack 1 had been released.

And I WILL NOT be happy if Microsoft ever do force an OS upgrade on me (via downloaded updates, I mean, not by killing off support for the OS I am already using, which is their right, even if it does disappoint me). I doubt they'll ever do it, though, as the number of potential law suits from people and companies would be monumental.

Reply 7 of 33, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

I'm happy with Windows 7, and since Windows 10 doesn't yet offer anything that I want then I'm sticking with Windows 7 since it works fine, and I know how to use it. The people who rush to upgrade to any new version of Windows just because it is new, are mostly those people who lack much understanding of how computers work or what an operating system is. I'm not knocking these people, of course - I'm largely clueless about how the organs in my body work, and that's much more important than how a PC works, so if someone wants to have a PC and just use Facebook and/or play PC games then that's fine, but these peoples' actions shouldn't be used as a gauge as to what's good for PC users generally.

Personally I'd never use a new version of Windows until it had been out a while, preferably until Service Pack 1 had been released.

And I WILL NOT be happy if Microsoft ever do force an OS upgrade on me (via downloaded updates, I mean, not by killing off support for the OS I am already using, which is their right, even if it does disappoint me). I doubt they'll ever do it, though, as the number of potential law suits from people and companies would be monumental.

If you plan on switching to 10 once its been out long enough, I advise you to download the 10 DVD, image your HD, update (so you get the free license), then go back and restore your old 7 install. This way at least you get to use your "free" license once you decided to move - and if you never do, it won't hurt. I say that because after the first year you'll have to pay if you ever want to update, but if you do it before, you're entitled to reinstall it on the same PC anytime and it will activate just fine.

Also, please do not generalise. I believe I understand plenty of how PCs work (don't most of us in a retro-computing fórum?), yet so I like dealing with the most recent version of Windows. That way I can learn how it works, see what changed and just mess around with it. And the only time I was ever really let down was Vista, and how poorly it ran on my Pentium D until I upgraded the RAM.

Reply 8 of 33, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Microsoft is now forcing the upgrade on Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users. Don't leave your PC on and connected to the internet overnight, it might have Windows 10 installed when you wake up in the morning.

from the comments:

Alfredo Faragalli:
What the idiot writing the article left out is that this affects only the people who ordered Windows 10. If you are not gong to install it, don't order it. If you are waiting to see if they work the bugs out (like me) then wait to order it. You have a year to do so.

sounds more believable...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 33, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

The people who rush to upgrade to any new version of Windows just because it is new, are mostly those people who lack much understanding of how computers work or what an operating system is.

Well, that's not always the case, there are also people choosing to upgrade to an immature OS consciously and not only because it's new. Just an example, those who got a new desktop/laptop/upgraded right after the OS was launched.

Reply 10 of 33, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That article does not represent reality for most users, myself included. I am still running Windows 8.1 even after the latest automatic software updates. I have "Get Windows 10" in my Icon tray, but I don't notice it. The GWX Control Panel site linked in the article indicated that the issue only affected certain people who had clicked on the upgrade, and now the GWX program appears to have fixed the issue.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 13 of 33, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

Time to step up my Linux Learning Experience (and move up the date window for Phase II 😏 ).

What the idiot writing the article left out is that this affects only the people who ordered Windows 10. If you are not gong to install it, don't order it. If you are waiting to see if they work the bugs out then wait to order it. You have a year to do so.

It's an article comment; a reader's opinion at best. However, it contradicts what happened in September.

Microsoft has told The Inquirer that even if users do not reserve a copy of Windows 10, the update files will be downloaded anyway if the user has chosen to receive automatic system updates through Windows Update — a feature which is typically enabled by default.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 33, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
SquallStrife wrote:

Come now JayCeeBee, never let the facts get in the way of good clickbait!

[ 🤣 JK]You're right, it's best to just keep taking potshots at Windows 10 until it sinks like the leaky vessel it is! Where's my Nerf Gun with pinky bullets? [/ 🤣 JK]

Tertz wrote:

Win10 is needed at least for games

Since I'm a full-on retro gamer this doesn't affect me in the least (last game I bought was over 10 years ago). I'm also not interested in online gaming at all. Sorry Microsoft, you lose! 😜

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Joke's on them, I've removed the updates which download Win10.

Same here, and they will never be installed again, ever.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

It's an article comment; a reader's opinion at best. However, it contradicts what happened in September.

Microsoft has told The Inquirer that even if users do not reserve a copy of Windows 10, the update files will be downloaded anyway if the user has chosen to receive automatic system updates through Windows Update — a feature which is typically enabled by default.

I don't have automatic system updates enabled - it's the first thing I disabled as soon as Windows 7 was installed and running. And if MS finds another way to do this, I'll just backup my data, erase my hard drive, install Linux Mint, and be done with it for good. Sorry Microsoft, you lose - again! 😜 😏

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 15 of 33, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

However, it contradicts what happened in September.

It's not contradictory at all.

People that deliberately reserved a copy are getting the upgrade they asked for.

People that did not still receive the staging files in case they do decide to upgrade later, which is different to the upgrade being installed.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 16 of 33, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Windows 10 screen pops up but I am not forced to upgrade on any of my machines (W500, W510, W520). My work X1 Carbon does not even have the Windows 10 upgrade icon in the task bar (Windows 7 Pro).

Reply 17 of 33, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

The people who rush to upgrade to any new version of Windows just because it is new, are mostly those people who lack much understanding of how computers work or what an operating system is.

Well, that's not always the case, there are also people choosing to upgrade to an immature OS consciously and not only because it's new. Just an example, those who got a new desktop/laptop/upgraded right after the OS was launched.

Yes, sorry about that, my wording was too broad. Lots of technically minded people do upgrade out of curiosity or because they need to have experience with the new OS for work (though I don't doubt that many dual boot the new OS with their current OS, or only put the new OS on a different machine, to minimise the chance of data loss through new bugs or the inability to run favourite software on the new OS). It's just that in both my professional capacity (lower end of IT support) and as the bloke who fixes his friends and family's PCs (a little PC knowledge and a lack of social life means I'm usually the first port of call), in my experience most people who want to upgrade to a new version of Windows as soon as it's available are the people who don't actually know what an OS is, they just assume that as it's new and from Microsoft that it must be better than the earlier version and they don't tend to be aware that a new OS could contain bugs, potentially run slower than the older OS, might not work with a particular program or game that they like, etc.

And yes, as you say, lots of people get the new OS since it comes with their new desktop or laptop. On the plus side, I really doubt we'll ever see a travesty like the Windows Vista launch again - the number of desktops and laptops I had to 'downgrade' (yeah right) to XP, especially when the new hardware ran slowly due to the new laptop or desktop coming with too little memory, even though it was well within Microsoft's list of required hardware to run Vista. I don't think I had real trouble getting any desktops to go to XP, but some laptops didn't have XP drivers, and so were either impossible to change, or had to be kludged to do so.

Kerr Avon wrote:

If you plan on switching to 10 once its been out long enough, I advise you to download the 10 DVD, image your HD, update (so you get the free license), then go back and restore your old 7 install. This way at least you get to use your "free" license once you decided to move - and if you never do, it won't hurt. I say that because after the first year you'll have to pay if you ever want to update, but if you do it before, you're entitled to reinstall it on the same PC anytime and it will activate just fine.

That's a great idea! Thanks, I'll do that.

Also, please do not generalise. I believe I understand plenty of how PCs work (don't most of us in a retro-computing fórum?), yet so I like dealing with the most recent version of Windows. That way I can learn how it works, see what changed and just mess around with it. And the only time I was ever really let down was Vista, and how poorly it ran on my Pentium D until I upgraded the RAM.

Yes, sorry, it was a bad generalisation.

Reply 18 of 33, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if OP will learn critical thinking from this, or keep reading shitty tech blogs and repeating what they say without thinking for himself.

The article is obviously bullshit, I'm on Windows 8. Upgrading to Windows 10 is very optional. I've even opted in for the upgrade and it's still very optional to actually go through with it.

Reply 19 of 33, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frig. I already accepted it before changing my mind. Frigity frig frig. I hope it is all bogus.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.