VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've read bad stuff in Gmail news that Gmail spies on you when you use their services, it collects your data, reads your email, and uses keywords in your emails to target ads. They don't respect user privacy. I need to change email providers for privacy reasons so I can feel safe emailing friends and family. Please share any knowledge to help me with my choice, and if there are private email providers out there that have free accounts please mention those.

more info on this:

http://www.ibtimes.com/alternatives-google-gm … ake-nsa-1317983

I cannot afford one of those fancy encrypted email providers yet. Some are using Sweden servers and have all kinds of tools to keep emails on the acount private, but I need something free right now as a stopgap product until I get a better email provider account later. Thanks for help on this.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 20, by b_rros

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try EuMX, I think you can try to ask for a free account.

Or you can use FastMail, but this is a paid service.

Have a look at http://www.emaildiscussions.com/ you can find a lot there. 😀

Reply 2 of 20, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my family members uses Hushmail. Unfortunately, it costs $35/year at minimum for their normal service. You CAN sign up for a free evaluation account which has no limits on usage, but you can only store 25 MB worth of messages and you must sign in once every three weeks to keep the account active.

*shrugs* It's an option. :B

https://www.hushmail.com/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 3 of 20, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, many services like email are not generally free. If you don't pay for it, the service provider will analyze your data and sell the metrics gleaned from it, target you with ads and the like. Privacy has to be paid for in this day and age, but is it really worth it for email?

Moreover, your privacy may end the moment you send a message to someone else, because they may have an account like gmail which will obtain the information anyway. Similarly, the information that you were sent may also be known to someone other than the sender because it was sent from a gmail-like account. In either case, the person on the other end can do whatever they want with the message.

Furthermore, unless your email provider is located outside your country, it will send your emails in response to a search warrant to law enforcement or a national security letter from the FBI (or your country's equivalent.)

Gemini's suggestion makes the most sense, provided you routinely sign in and back up your email.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 20, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really won't, short of hosting it yourself.

Respecting user privacy is a matter of trust, that's gained over time and I believe just all the big email providers who have been around a while have done at the very least something wrong in this area.

Reply 5 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As already mentioned you are likely to be "spied upon" by your email provider or the recipients. You can set up email encryption to prevent that, but then all your recipients will need to be willing to to jump through hoops to decrypt things. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2473585/ … rypt-gmail.html

In general, if you are communicating something that you are concerned with someone seeing, you probably shouldn't be using email to do so.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 6 of 20, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can confirm that Gmail does read the e-mails, or at least scans for certain items. I discovered some time back that if I sent an email with a certain link (a site that contains (illegal) downloads of science fiction TV programs) then the e-mail would just 'disappear' - it never arrived at the recipient's inbox, I received no message saying that it wasn't sent and why, and my 'Sent Mail' page showed the e-mail as sent.

I'm not complaining, of course, as my link was illegal (though I certainly hope that gmail are as thorough regarding genuinely disturbing links, and send those e-mails and links to the authorities), and I've never thought that e-mails are totally private anyway. And I'm sticking with gmail as it works, plus I've had the address for a decade or so now, and gmail is very good at screening out spam, but I was surprised that they'd actively search for links including a pirate science fiction site.

Reply 7 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

https://protonmail.ch/

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 20, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

I can confirm that Gmail does read the e-mails, or at least scans for certain items. I discovered some time back that if I sent an email with a certain link (a site that contains (illegal) downloads of science fiction TV programs) then the e-mail would just 'disappear' - it never arrived at the recipient's inbox, I received no message saying that it wasn't sent and why, and my 'Sent Mail' page showed the e-mail as sent.

I'm not complaining, of course, as my link was illegal (though I certainly hope that gmail are as thorough regarding genuinely disturbing links, and send those e-mails and links to the authorities), and I've never thought that e-mails are totally private anyway. And I'm sticking with gmail as it works, plus I've had the address for a decade or so now, and gmail is very good at screening out spam, but I was surprised that they'd actively search for links including a pirate science fiction site.

it's much much more likely that your mails got caught up in spam filtering than any anti-piracy effort by Google.

Reply 9 of 20, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

short of hosting it yourself.

some just did that, they hire some cheap VPS, register the VPS's IP-address with some cheap domain name-registrar
and host the email server program on that VPS.

-fffuuu

Reply 11 of 20, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used Hushmail for a while but I forgot to log in for a month so the account got closed. I've had that problem before on other free services. Requiring me to log in just turns into a hassle and eventually I lose the account. There is a paid option with them as was already mentioned.

I use Fastmail nowadays, which I'm very happy with but it isn't free. They used to have a free option but I think they discontinued it. They use IMAP, which I greatly prefer over POP3 or web based, but they also have a web interface. I don't know how good they are about privacy, but they are regulated under Australian law, for whatever that means pro or con. They seem to have more tweakability and features than any other email service I've seen. I think they're geared more towards technical users than most services.

Reply 12 of 20, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm starting Fastmail 30 day trial. It's actually only as little as $10 a year.. Any objections?

Reply 13 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you do end to end encryption? If you use GPG and strong keys, no email provider can read your messages. The most they can do is watch traffic patterns which they can often do anyway.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 20, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

I need to change email providers for privacy reasons so I can feel safe emailing friends and family.

I am afraid that such email providers are no longer exist. NWO as well secret services and business corporations are not interested in you to have your privacy for obvious reasons. Just because you pay for it doesn't mean that nobody reads your emails. And no, it's not paranoia, but logic. Who owns the information - that owns the world. The best way is to avoid using email services in general for very personal or sensitive information if you don't want anybody to read or see it.

Dominus wrote:

Actually it might work since it's located in Switzerland - the place where everybody hides their money 😎

Reply 15 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Protonmail is very interesting. They have recently been a victim of DoS attacks and they even paid a "ransom".

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 20, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was concerned when I read that Protonmail paid a ransom, small though it was, $3,500.00 in bitcoins. The money they paid did not stop the attacks. It may have just encouraged other attackers to keep hitting the servers. Now they asked for and will probably receive $50K from gofundme.com. I would not be inclined to donate or set up an account after seeing how poorly they spent their money, but I could be persuaded that this was an isolated error of judgment brought on by inexperience dealing with sophisticated attackers.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 20, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Protonmail is very interesting. They have recently been a victim of DoS attacks and they even paid a "ransom".

DoS attacks? You mean MS-DOS hacked them?? 🤣

Reply 18 of 20, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Denial of service. Often DDoS, where you just overload and swamp it with several requests, or sometimes exploiting the system and breaking service that way.

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98