Show full quote

BEST FPS EVER!!!!:

1. ROTT by InterCepter Entertainment or should i say 3D Realms
2. Duke Nuke 'Em Forever By 3D Gearbox Realms
3. Serious Sam 3 Big F***king Encounter The best old shcool game
4. Halo the grand daddy of First Person Shooters
5. Roblox! You can do anything!

WORST FPS EVER!:

1. Quake - my poops are more colorful!!!
2. Have Life more like have no life.
3. Doom the graphics are blocky and a lego. Skip this on
4. Unreal Tornament has bots because no one play it.
5. Max Pain..... in the ass!!!!!!!!!

🤣

Anyway, this is something I'll have to give some thought to. I've played tons of FPSs, so it's hard for me to say which ones I liked and disliked the most. I've definitely played a good number of forgettable ones though. 😵

Reply 61 of 81, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:

So there are 2 other related games / add-ons or the 2 other parts are in the game but need to be unlocked by the player through playing the game?

1st.
Stalker was a long made game.. too long. So producers activated "plan B" to make it more casual and to finish in shorter time. Many of material and concepts were cut off, then later part of them was used to create 2 stand-alone addons. SoC itself was a cut version of initial plan, with 2 addons it's closer to initial Stalker.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 62 of 81, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
Snayperskaya wrote:

I've played quite a bit of FPS titles. Some of my favourites are (excluding games like Fallout and Deus Ex, which are more RPG-ey):

* Bioshock (series): I must be one of the few people that like the 2nd chapter better than the first. Infinity is on another level of awesomeness. If you have not played it and crave for nice plots, do not waste another minute.

Not seen this one before! It looks pretty dark... with similar gameplay to Fallout.

Bioshock has few RPG elements, and is almost a pure first person shooter. You upgrade your plasmids (basically magic powers but in the game's context they are DNA upgrades produced by science) and the weapons have two upgrades each, but the story is fixed, you have no stats to upgrade (other than the size of your health pool, your Eve pool (your magic power pool), the weapons and the plasmids). It's a great, and VERY ATMOSPHERIC game though, but it does go very downhill after a certain point (don't read about the game or talk about it until you've played it through, or you will learn spoilers about the game), it quickly gets too easy, and the game could have been better if the makers had not took the easy way out of some design choices.

If you like first person shooters then you really should play Bioshock, then Bioshock 2 (which fixes many of B1's flaws, though lots of people say B2 shouldn't exist as (to them) B1 told the story so well that it needed no follow up). Then play B2's superb DLC episode, Minerva's Den. You can get all three in one collection, called the Bioshock Ultimate Rapture Edition:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BioShock-Ultimate-Rap … 3/dp/B00AXXILC8

There's a third Bioshock game, called Bioshock: Infinite, which really polarised gamers. I thought it was hugely disappointing, as it's gameplay was cut down from B1 and B2, and the game failed to include so much that was in the preview videos. And the ending was (to me and lots of people) contrived drivel, but lots of other people really liked it.

If you do play B1, B2, and Bioshock: Infinite, then play them in order, as they do reference the earlier games(s). Not enough to spoil things if you haven't played the earlier games, but it's good to know what the game is referring to.

Reply 63 of 81, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Retro wise I would say Doom II but I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry 3 for PC. What an amazing game!

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 64 of 81, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

BEST FPS EVER!!!!:

1. ROTT by InterCepter Entertainment or should i say 3D Realms

--> Lost interest after the first 20 mins of gameplay. Shadow Warrior is much better. "So you want wash wang, or you want watch Wang wash wang?" 😁

leileilol wrote:

2. Duke Nuke 'Em Forever By 3D Gearbox Realms

--> trolololo

leileilol wrote:

3. Serious Sam 3 Big F***king Encounter

--> only fun the first 30 minutes then it gets stale. Too arcade for my taste.

leileilol wrote:

4. Halo

--> Loved the story, hated the gameplay. Profoundly dislike playing FPS games with a controller so I didn't play anything other then Halo 1 and 2 and frankly I rushed trough them just to see how the story unravels.

leileilol wrote:

5. Roblox! You can do anything!

--> never heard of it.

leileilol wrote:

WORST FPS EVER!:

1. Quake - my poops are more colorful!!!

--> you should probably see a doctor about that...

leileilol wrote:

2. Have Life more like have no life.
3. Doom the graphics are blocky and a lego. Skip this on

--> must be why I like minecraft 😁

leileilol wrote:

4. Unreal Tornament has bots because no one play it.

--> beware skynet

leileilol wrote:

5. Max Pain..... in the ass!!!!!!!!!

--> i urge you to go see a doctor... pain in the ass + colorful poop are never good signs 😜

Reply 65 of 81, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rgart wrote:

Retro wise I would say Doom II but I thoroughly enjoyed Far Cry 3 for PC. What an amazing game!

Yar I had a lot of fun with FC3 - the main character was such an asshat that I found myself wishing for a 'shoot self in face' button but the gameplay and environment was just excellent.

Have you tried 4? Looks good but I'm waiting for it to hit the bargain bin.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 66 of 81, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
rgart wrote:

Yar I had a lot of fun with FC3 - the main character was such an asshat that I found myself wishing for a 'shoot self in face' button but the gameplay and environment was just excellent.

Have you tried 4? Looks good but I'm waiting for it to hit the bargain bin.

The whole system was so fluid... combat... movement...inventory and the characters , story and voice acting had me hooked... I wanted to kill Vass bad.

I like vibrant colours in a game... the whole Island/pirate setting did it for me .

I have Farcry 4 and its very good but why the snow setting? I havent played it a lot ...I found the world bleak, barren and depressing. Are there sprawling islands and forests to explore? I'm not sure.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 67 of 81, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolute fav? Probably Blood after that it would definitely be Strife, that game was cool as hell. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 70 of 81, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few of my top faves.

• Half-Life series (if I had to pick one, I'd say HL2)
  • Unreal 1
  • Dark Forces
  • Duke Nukem 3D
  • Serious Sam 3
  • Serious Sam TFE HD
  • Goldeneye
  • Elite Force

I wouldn't put them on the list since they aren't really true FPS games, but I really enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim. I'm not sure which I enjoyed more. Skyrim is more approachable, but I have far more fond memories of Oblivion. I played FO3 before but it never really grabbed me. I snagged it and NV on the recent Bethesda sale on Steam so I'll have to give them another chance. Other honourable mentions would be Prey and Minecraft (heavily modded).

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 71 of 81, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's amazing how underrated is ROTT (the old game). Although it was not the best FPS, it had very interesting multiplayer modes (like that "pacman with weapons" or that "tag" game) that I've never seen again.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 72 of 81, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

It's amazing how underrated is ROTT (the old game). Although it was not the best FPS, it had very interesting multiplayer modes (like that "pacman with weapons" or that "tag" game) that I've never seen again.

Yeah ROTT is right up there with my other favs, I spent a LOT of time playing the "deluxe" version (which was really the shareware version on CD). It's a killer fun game with awesome music, weapons and fast paced action! Plus you can burst through glass panes which I always thought was really cool and action movie-esque. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 73 of 81, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CS 1.6.

I'm not a fan of FPS games, and despite having a lot of fun playing Noone Lives Forever, Unreal, HL1/2, Left for Dead, I still consider CS1.6 to be my favorite. It's the game that has infinite replayability, infinite expendability, only essential visuals and, well, it's the game I can play with all of my friends. Ask anyone, they all played it, they all agree to take part 😀

Reply 74 of 81, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

My friend bought it and I was unfortunate enough to try it. The graphics were abysmal considering the release date. All the enemies were trenchcoat wearing rapists or monks and they all looked like fat neckbeards. It also included platform elements and other Super Mario nonsense. What's more amazing is that most magazines rated it 8/10 back in -95! I would give it a 6/10 as a shareware game, but as a commercial product no more than 4/10. A real mess, but that's just my take on it.

OT: My TOP-3 would be:

1: Wolf 3D
2: Half-Life / Deus Ex
3: Rainbow Six

I can't choose between HL and DE as they were both pretty influential back then, even though not consider "pure" shooters. Most FPS back then (Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke3D) were pretty much the same game with rehashed sprites and I didn't really think much of them.

Reply 75 of 81, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess if I had to make a list of my favorite FPSs, it would be something like

- Doom/Doom II (they're pretty much the same game 🤣)
- Unreal Tournament '99
- Perfect Dark
- Team Fortress 2
- Quake III
- Duke Nukem 3D
- UT 2004
- CounterStrike 1.6

So, you know, all the typical oldschool ones. 🤣

Reply 76 of 81, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And for me as a Star Wars saga fan - ... One of my faivorite games on PC are the Dark Forces Series... Also I respect Hexen_! and Heretic - like to play them on a real 486/p1 with classic CRT monitor)

Reply 77 of 81, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I mentioned AVP2 earlier. It (especially the facehugger levels) ties JK1 for the most disorienting game I've ever played. Really pushes FPS to a new plateau.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 78 of 81, by deemster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitly the original Rise of the Triad. In my youth i played all the famous shooters such as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Doom etc.

I tried ROTT much later and it confused me, it was so weird. Later i tried it again and i noticed how unique it actually is. I love all the little things such as the 'trampolines', the ankhs you can collect, the awesome power-ups, everything. It has become my favourite 😁

Reply 79 of 81, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't like the original ROTT that much, but I love the ROTT released in 2013. I also didn't think Duke Nukem Forever was that bad. And I didn't like the single-player of Halo 1 that much, but I love the multi-player.

Last edited by MrEWhite on 2015-12-03, 02:55. Edited 1 time in total.