VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a video about hardware and PC gaming evolution, so went happily to watch, but I started to find strange some mistakes.
This guy is saying that Wolfenstein 3D needs a beefy cpu (like a pentium), that Voodoo2 is capable of 2D and that Pentium4 is one of the original pentiums!
He must be trolling right?!

here you have https://youtu.be/7Y4sv27J6co

Reply 1 of 14, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Looks more like the video is not properly scripted - PC gaming history is too compressed/oversimplified and the narrator changes topics so fast he keeps tripping over himself (it's hard to pay attention with all the visual/verbal skipping and jumping around). I did spot a potential mistake or 2, but can't tell if it's just me or if the narrator actually goofed.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 2 of 14, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TELEPACMAN wrote:
Found a video about hardware and PC gaming evolution, so went happily to watch, but I started to find strange some mistakes. Thi […]
Show full quote

Found a video about hardware and PC gaming evolution, so went happily to watch, but I started to find strange some mistakes.
This guy is saying that Wolfenstein 3D needs a beefy cpu (like a pentium), that Voodoo2 is capable of 2D and that Pentium4 is one of the original pentiums!

Didn't watch the vid, but the V2 is able to be used as a secondary display adapter in Win2k/XP - https://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/forum/m … s.asp?Topic=380 - apparently some people got 2D and 3D working (with multiple drivers), I only used it for desktop display under 2K (and that was only for the novelty).

Reply 3 of 14, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny ran (barely) on a 286-16Mhz with 512K conventional. The games were playable on a 386 with noticeable (but manageable) slowdown. On pretty much ANY 486, even an sx-33, they ran flawlessly. Doom ran pretty much butter smooth on a DX2-80. Wolfenstein needing a Pentium? No chance.

Never heard of a VooDoo 2 being capable of 2D. At least out of the box, or in the era that they were being used. I thought they were simply an accelerator card for Glide/D3D.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 4 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A V1 or V2 would need a 2D driver which translates all 2D (GDI or whatever) draw calls through Glide. Not sure if such a beast exists.

This would be similar to how R5xx and newer ATi cards use the 3D engine for both 3D and 2D draw calls. The differences are 1) VESA support and 2) proper vendor driver support.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

A V1 or V2 would need a 2D driver which translates all 2D (GDI or whatever) draw calls through Glide. Not sure if such a beast exists.

This would be similar to how R5xx and newer ATi cards use the 3D engine for both 3D and 2D draw calls. The differences are 1) VESA support and 2) proper vendor driver support.

Not the same thing.
The driver could also work by directly accessing the Voodoo's frame buffer, without any acceleration. Or accelerate only some things which are supported by Glide.
This also works for Linux/XFRee86:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list … y/msg01141.html

Reply 6 of 14, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Saw like 1 minute or so, then stopped the video. (could not stand it)

Now...
He talks about "PC's first" on every gaming evolution.... SuperMario on NES (just saying)
And then he talks about a PDP-11, wich is no PC (PC as in PERSONAL COMPUTER), and we are all shown a random photo of apple and then one butt-ugly unknown wannebe richboy rapper wich look's like he has been drunk since 8 years old and have taken too many punches... Oh so contemporary populair culture....

So transparent, oh so transparent... (just wonder, just wonder)

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 7 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
idspispopd wrote:
Not the same thing. The driver could also work by directly accessing the Voodoo's frame buffer, without any acceleration. Or acc […]
Show full quote
gdjacobs wrote:

Not the same thing.
The driver could also work by directly accessing the Voodoo's frame buffer, without any acceleration. Or accelerate only some things which are supported by Glide.
This also works for Linux/XFRee86:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-beta-list … y/msg01141.html

Sometimes I think AC does stuff like this because he can. Likely the big reason, though, was because Glide doesn't have a compatible license allowing Redhat to redistribute.

Anyway, the R400 series consists of a 2D engine and 3D engine. R500 consists of a 3D engine and some semi-dedicated video decoding stuff (part of Avivo). The Linux Radeon developers (jerome Glisse, etc) had to rewrite EXA and Xv to backend on the 3D engine as all the old registers were gone from the GPU. They maintained a 2D driver which utilized low level instructions for the 3D engine directly for R500 series cards and all unified shader VLIW cards only switching with the introduction of GCN.

Linux graphics developers these days have continued the progression and moved away from accessing the lower level of the graphics pipeline for 2D. Glamor is the way now. Performance is competitive and the maintenance burden far less compared to bespoke solutions. You're correct that a driver could directly poke data into the framebuffer, but using existing 3d drivers yields far better results for a given amount of development effort.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 14, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JayCeeBee64 wrote:

(it's hard to pay attention with all the visual/verbal skipping and jumping around). I did spot a potential mistake or 2, but can't tell if it's just me or if the narrator actually goofed.

It's really painful to watch. I kept watching because I thought I heard wrong, so I rewind it and it really says such things.

Regarding voodoo2 2D capable, remember this is in the context of a "PC hardware evolution" - he talks about the 1998 voodoo2 and how it was important because it had both 2D and 3D ability versus the first voodoo, this must be a joke, there is no other explanation. He could have make other mistakes, but these are too strange. You google voodoo2, however briefly and you'll not get that info anywhere, common'

This is from the first paragraph of the wiki page: " As with the original Voodoo, the Voodoo2 was a dedicated 3D accelerator, and had to be used in conjunction with a conventional 2D graphics card" 🤣

And pentium4 being the fourth iteration of the original pentium? I assure he did not made any research on this whatsoever, he just assumed because pentium4 still has pentium on the name...

By the way, wolf3d was made on a 12MHz 80286, and it play fantastically on my 386SX 25MHz.

Reply 10 of 14, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't usually criticize this kind of content, but I feel that if one has the right to publish something one must do his homework. Imagine you were a rookie in the subject, you would ne misinformed about at least 3 topics in a couple minutes worth of video.

Reply 11 of 14, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TELEPACMAN wrote:
Found a video about hardware and PC gaming evolution, so went happily to watch, but I started to find strange some mistakes. Thi […]
Show full quote

I think there may be language barrier issue going on seeing as you're taking what he is saying out of context (which is due to his poorly puncuated script).

His script has poor English puncuation even though his native language is English (hey, it happens). The poorly puncuated script is causing him to run through on his words and sentences and it thus messes up the context of what he is actually saying and in these cases it generally requires the listener to have native English speaking knowledge to understand the context.

He wasn't saying Wolfenstein 3D required a Pentium the context merely ran together inadvertently. As for the Voodoo 2, I don't think he was saying it had 2D he said combined 2D AND 3D graphics capabilities, though he did say a bit later "all-in-one" so it could have been a mistake of him thinking of the Voodoo Rush or Voodoo 3 series. As for Pentium 4 he was talking about the Pentium name itself hence why he said "they were on number 4 by this point", he wasn't talking about arcitecture itself.

So no, he wasn't trolling. Its all about understanding the context. 😀

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 13 of 14, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.
Albert Camus

Reply 14 of 14, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chaniyth wrote:
I think there may be language barrier issue going on seeing as you're taking what he is saying out of context (which is due to h […]
Show full quote
TELEPACMAN wrote:
Show full quote

I think there may be language barrier issue going on seeing as you're taking what he is saying out of context (which is due to his poorly puncuated script).

His script has poor English puncuation even though his native language is English (hey, it happens). The poorly puncuated script is causing him to run through on his words and sentences and it thus messes up the context of what he is actually saying and in these cases it generally requires the listener to have native English speaking knowledge to understand the context.

He wasn't saying Wolfenstein 3D required a Pentium the context merely ran together inadvertently. As for the Voodoo 2, I don't think he was saying it had 2D he said combined 2D AND 3D graphics capabilities, though he did say a bit later "all-in-one" so it could have been a mistake of him thinking of the Voodoo Rush or Voodoo 3 series. As for Pentium 4 he was talking about the Pentium name itself hence why he said "they were on number 4 by this point", he wasn't talking about arcitecture itself.

So no, he wasn't trolling. Its all about understanding the context. 😀

I could see beyond the poor punctuation that derives from too many editing. There are not many possible context variations as the sentences are very simple and they are about technical stuff.

Wolfenstein:
"Wolfenstein 3D's engine actually did not utilized any hardware features. Obvisously required a preety beefy cpu, and some ram, wich intel was pretty rapidly developping in that case with the pentium coming along in a short span of time."

Help me understanding the context here. Is he saying wolf3d requires a beefy cpu, but intel was soon to deliver the pentium cpu?

Voodoo2:
"This card managed to stay relevant for years by combining 2D and 3D graphics capabilities."
Does this mean is does NOT have 2D?

Pentium4:
"CPUs at the time weren't developing that fast. Between the year 2000 and the year 2003 top of the line processors were generally between 1 and 1.3GHz. Intel was still making pentiums, and when I say that I mean the original pentiums series. They were on number 4 by this point."
In a video about the evolution of PC hardware isn't it misleading to, without prior notice, start adressing the branding instead of hardware specs?

I believe context misunderstanding does not play a role on this. The video states its context at the beginning, with it's title. Anyway, I allways enjoy this videos, but this one I don't like because it is broadcasting content that is faulty on basic topics, furthermore it has poor punctuation.

When a student comes to me having a hard time expressing his ideas, I can still see if he has poor punctuation, but knows the subject, or just has poor punctuation AND does not know what he's talking about.