Common searches

Spelling and grammar pet peeves around here

Topic actions

First post, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know a good number of you are not native English speakers, but thankfully you try your best, or else otherwise we would not be able to read and moderate your awesome posts (and therefore posting in other languages is pretty much forbidden).

Even so, I don't want to call anyone out but there's some glaring mistakes that often slightly annoy me.

Current mild annoyance of the month: which.

"wich" is incorrect, full stop, in modern English: search.php?keywords=wich
unless you're writing about a tasty sandwich, it's never a standalone word 🤣
Unless you date from the Old English time period and used a time machine to get here? http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/wich

"witch" is also normally incorrect, unless you are writing about a woman who casts spells and flies around on a broomstick:
search.php?keywords=witch

The word you want is W-H-I-C-H. "Which"

more-you-know.jpg

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 76, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Haha, good post! (stiletto)

The one that always bugs me is people using "your" in the place of "you're"!

But I must say that I'm in awe of the non-native English speaker's ability to communicate in another language.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 4 of 76, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote:

But I must say that I'm in awe of the non-native English speaker's ability to communicate in another language.

English, Danish or German, I am equally good at speaking, reading or writing each language. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5 of 76, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

England has so many colonies, I guess they really kicked some butts back in the days.

They did. Oh my... They did.
And yet, they are the reason for Americans to drink coffee and not tea. Long story (read: "extra long").
Naa... I don't think that there are that many English colonies left. Australia and India is no longer, just to mention a few that were.
Denmark had colonies too. The last ones were sold off to USA, about 100 years ago.

Reply 6 of 76, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Denmark still has Greenland. the UK and France still have some island territories scattered throughout the Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian oceans. The Netherlands still has territory in the Caribbean (along with France and the UK).

Not really colonies, more like vestigial traces.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 76, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Aren't those grammar pet peeves in all languages? I have a two in German (seid/seit and the made up word "Standart")...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 76, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah. Greenland is part of our state, yet they decide for them self.
They own their own land. Greenland has the same status as Commonwealth nations.

Real colonies are few, and not really any left on the global scene.

Reply 9 of 76, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not mind native English speakers having pet peeves about spelling and grammar - it hurts my eyes when I see some people murdering portuguese in Facebook. People confusing past and future tenses is horrible, and mistaking "mais" por "mas" (mais - plus, in addition to; mas - but) or putting works in the feminine form even though they DO NOT HAVE one is like a stab to the chest.

IMHO the most annoying thing for a non-native english speaker and forum like these is the autocorrect feature of the spell checker that most moder browsers/OSes have. I got so tired of that thing changing what I wrote to a simillar portuguese word that I disabled it completly in my PCs. In my smartphone it is easier to change the language of the spell checker (there is a button on the on screen keyboard to go back and forth pt-BR and en-US), so I just change it to en-US whenever I post here.

Reply 10 of 76, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

I Sense Butthurt

A greed
https://imgur.com/gallery/rd5jhzV

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 76, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

English colonies left. Australia and India is no longer, just to mention a few that were.

...... "are" no longer.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 12 of 76, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:

The one that always bugs me is people using "your" in the place of "you're"!

I catch myself doing that all the time.
I suppose using "ur" universally would take care of both cases.

badmojo wrote:

Me too.

Wow, There is another one. To and Too.
Also Their and There.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 76, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

"Could of" instead of the contraction could've, same for would. That one is closest to a peeve for me, but not to the point where I can't restrain myself from calling people out on it. 😜

Reply 14 of 76, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about the phrase 'no one' merged into one word 'noone' or the word 'yeah' spelled 'yea' as in the way one would vocally vote.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 76, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not giving up "I dunno" or "wasisname" (as in "Ole Wasisname").
I just like them.

Reply 16 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Im pretty shure theres nothing to worry a bout 😁

But I really try my best 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 17 of 76, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't use loose instead of lose!!! Don't capitalize it "VooDoo"! You're and your are different. Same for it's and its.

one word I truly don't understand how it spelled there is whit for with.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Looks like the Grammar Police is coming out of the woodwork 🤣

Personally, I tend to make silly mistakes every so often; at least I try to catch and correct them when I can, but sometimes that's just not possible. At times the error goes beyond grammar and/or spelling (here's an example of a cluttered post from yours truly 😵 ). And at times I make posts that are, well, quite weird (don't ask, just don't ask! 😅 ).

As for my Spanish grammar, it's non-existent, that's all (I used to drive my school teachers in Ecuador really crazy because of that ^^").

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 19 of 76, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am guilty of a few of these and apologize for any past/future mistakes here and now.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1