Spelling and grammar pet peeves around here

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Yeah. Greenland is part of our state, yet they decide for them self.
They own their own land. Greenland has the same status as Commonwealth nations.

Real colonies are few, and not really any left on the global scene.

"themselves" 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 23 of 76, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Denmark still has Greenland.

You still have the Faroes too. Shame you lost Iceland - you would be the north Atlantic badasses.

I'd noticed your instead of you're just a minute ago and there was something else the other day which of course I now can't remember. But they were talking on the wireless today about the English being crap at languages because they don't teach us how language works in school. I've mentioned somewhere else my understanding of language is naive, not classical. I didn't know what an adverb was until 7 years ago and I still can't give an example of a sub clause if that's even an actual thing. I can read Russian though.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 26 of 76, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
StSam wrote:

Your kidding! I hate grammer nazi's alot! 🙄

3 strikes, you're out!

Are you sure he's not yanking our chains?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 28 of 76, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't even speak English natively and still there are a few mistakes that I find annoying.

Mostly homophones :
its / it's
allowed / aloud
your / you're
their /they're / there

And confusing plural/possessive/to be
the penguins walk / the penguin's beak / the penguin's walking

For the rest, I know I probably make mistakes too and I apologize in advance 😀

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 29 of 76, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love homographs.

Be sure to use your two axes to cut this log on these two axes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30 of 76, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:
I don't even speak English natively and still there are a few mistakes that I find annoying. […]
Show full quote

I don't even speak English natively and still there are a few mistakes that I find annoying.

Mostly homophones :
its / it's
allowed / aloud
your / you're
their /they're / there

And confusing plural/possessive/to be
the penguins walk / the penguin's beak / the penguin's walking

For the rest, I know I probably make mistakes too and I apologize in advance 😀

I often just ignore all " ' " when writing so I have probably written "it is" as "its" now and then. 😀

For older people I guess things get more confusing so perhaps it would be better if we used "i's" or "tis" as contraction for "it is". 😜

From Wiktionary

"
Its

Alternative forms

it's (possessive form, obsolete or nonstandard)

"

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 31 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Learning another language opens your eyes to some of the dumb things English does. I can't even fathom how a person from a non-English-speaking country manages to become fluent, but they do!

There are so many superfluous mechanisms in it, like definite/indefinite article and plural forms.

We're not alone though. Genders for inanimate objects anyone?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 32 of 76, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I love homographs.

Be sure to use your two axes to cut this log on these two axes.

Woldn't the last "axes" be replaced by "axis"? I'm somewhat confused by that sentence oO

SquallStrife wrote:

Learning another language opens your eyes to some of the dumb things English does. I can't even fathom how a person from a non-English-speaking country manages to become fluent, but they do!

There are so many superfluous mechanisms in it, like definite/indefinite article and plural forms.

We're not alone though. Genders for inanimate objects anyone?

Portuguese speaker here! Genders for EVERYONE!!!! And EVERYTHING!!!!!
Actually, when learning english I found it to be so much simpler than portuguese. Verbs in portuguese have a form for every tense and person (simillar to spanish), whereas english has a LOT less variation. The downside of not having those variations is that, while in portuguese we can often enough omit the subject in a sentence (as it is implicit, and can be deduced from the verb's form), one cannot usually do that in english.

Reply 33 of 76, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it not contradictory to complain about spelling and grammar while identifying oneself as a l33t?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 34 of 76, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

... Actually, when learning english I found it to be so much simpler than portuguese. Verbs in portuguese have a form for every tense and person (simillar to spanish), whereas english has a LOT less variation ...

Agreed, as indo-european languages go English is relatively easy, even for people whose native tongue is a non-germanic one, like you and me. Our verb conjugation is waaay more convoluted. 😵

Picking up the phrasal verbs can be a bit tricky, however. 😀

Let the air flow!

Reply 35 of 76, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another one I've seen lately in some old posts is the usage of the word 'duel' in place of 'Dual' 🤣. I'm far from excelling at the language and I do make my good share of mistakes as well, but I find that particular mix-up kind of hilarious. ^ ^

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 36 of 76, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Your" and "you're" gets to me, but I think one reason that it does is because I mentally stumble over it myself. I get frustrated when I see that I've typed it wrong somewhere. I feel compelled to slow down and reread these words and think for a second about which is correct. Seeing other people make the mistake just reminds me of how clumsy these words are to deal with.

"Duel" in place of "dual" is kind of funny. On car forums people love to say "breaks" instead of "brakes".

People will very often type "should of" and "could of" instead of "should have" and "could have". It happens because when people speak verbally they routinely mispronounce "have" as "of", but when it's actually written that way in text it bugs me a bit.

Incorrect usage of possessive apostrophes is definitely up there. I can ignore the occasional mistake but sometimes it's painful, like saying "I have lot's of game's" (not a reference, I made it up) or something so abusive that it suggests the person really thinks every word ending in s is supposed to have an apostrophe by default. Non-native speakers are forgiven. 😀

Reply 37 of 76, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My problem is, I have started to do some strange mistakes when writing in English. Somehow my hands mistype words based on how you pronounce them without caring about spelling. Things like "I do it two" instead of "I do it too" or "want" vs "won't". I haven't had such problems until about 2 years ago (I have a CPE certificate so I'm not really terrible at English), don't really know why it developed. Unfortunately Firefox's spell checker won't catch such errors.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 38 of 76, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
shamino wrote:

It happens because when people speak verbally they routinely mispronounce "have" as "of"

It's not mispronouncing to use a contraction (e.g. "could've" instead of "could have"), and the contracted form of "have" does sound similar to "of" when spoken. People that make the mistake are probably just typing what they hear, whether through ignorance or laziness.

Reply 39 of 76, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The single largest grammatical mistake on Vogons which gets at me the most is the use of “then” in place of “than”. “Then” refers to events in sequence, whereas “than” is a comparative preposition. Used in sentences – I consider the MB-8433 to be better than the M919. I optimised BIOS settings on the MB-8433 first and then I upgraded the cache.

My posts are full of spelling mistakes. The spell check feature of the Vogons website doesn’t work with my PIII Tualatin and whatever the latest version of Firefox is (4x.xx).

Another thing to consider is British and American spelling differences of the English language. I find Canadian English more like British spelling than it is with American spelling, however I have seen evidence of it shifting, probably due to frequent interaction with the Americans and the Internet. I sometimes get confused as well because I have encountered both spellings in the Canadian wild.

Some examples which come to mind:
Cheque vs. check; fibre vs. fiber; catalogue vs. catalog; chilli vs. chili; tonne vs. ton (although this one is valid; one refers to 1000 kg vs. 2000 lbs); tumour vs. tumor; apologise vs. apologize, etc.

There are thousands of examples.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.