Spelling and grammar pet peeves around here

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 76, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Another one I've seen lately in some old posts is the usage of the word 'duel' in place of 'Dual' 🤣. I'm far from excelling at the language and I do make my good share of mistakes as well, but I find that particular mix-up kind of hilarious. ^ ^

My Computer Defiantly Have a Duel Chanel Memorie !!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
leileilol wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Another one I've seen lately in some old posts is the usage of the word 'duel' in place of 'Dual' 🤣. I'm far from excelling at the language and I do make my good share of mistakes as well, but I find that particular mix-up kind of hilarious. ^ ^

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 !!!!!

(Great....it's happening again......can't.........stooooopp!!................. 🤣 🤣 )

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 42 of 76, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

xD But What Can Be more Better Then Duel cpu Setup Whit Duel Bus Architecturing and Duel way Rated Memori????

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 44 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

xD But What Can Be more Better Then Duel cpu Setup Whit Duel Bus Architecturing and Duel way Rated Memori????

AAAGGHHHH!!!! THE LOLs!!! CAN'T STOP!!!!!!!!!! 😵 😵 😵

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 45 of 76, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
leileilol wrote:

The Qaud CoreDuel Computer With An X Fire American D Hi Defiantion Radon It's is Literaly To Personnel Computer's in I !

Also Have U Heard?? Creative Lab's Shutted Down!!! What Tearable New

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 46 of 76, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Oh no! I hope it doesn't effect us in the retro community too much.

🤣 I couldn't resist.

Reply 47 of 76, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Confusing "its" and "it's" is perfectly understandable.

Sometimes apostrophes are used to show possession.
Example: "I'm living in my mom's basement".

Sometimes they are used in contractions.
Example: could have = could've, cannot = can't.

It's only logical that if the subject is an "it", you would use an apostrophe to show ownership.
I made this mistake frequently for years, because apparently I was asleep when the teacher explained the exception to the rule. I must have annoyed a lot of people with my constant misuse of its and it's. I still think it's a stupid rule. I would never confuse a contraction with ownership when taking context into consideration.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 48 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired
retrofanatic wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Oh no! I hope it doesn't effect us in the retro community too much.

🤣 I couldn't resist.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 !!!!!!!!

(Dies of incurable LOLs).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 49 of 76, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Confusing "its" and "it's" is perfectly understandable.

Sometimes apostrophes are used to show possession.
Example: "I'm living in my mom's basement".

I may be wrong, but I think the difference here is usage with a noun, and a pronoun.

possession with a pronoun
his legs
its legs

and yes, possession with actual nouns/names allows for the 's
mom's spaghetti
Bob's car

at least that's how I understand it from a non-native-speaker point of view...

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 50 of 76, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, personal pronouns have no apostrophe to indicate possession. Also, plural nouns have an apostrophe after the 's' instead of before.

Many citizens' rights had been infringed by the policies of Hoover.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 51 of 76, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I knew this thread would become awesome. 😁

Please understand: I'm not a terrible Grammar Nazi, but when a post is all but unreadable it can stop me in my tracks. If I haven't had my coffee in the morning, I may even use mod powers to fix that if it aggravates me enough. But often I let a ton of things slide.

Another related one that I came across today: "wile". Instead of "while". Oh boy. 😁

There shouldn't be any reason for some of these kind of mistakes if you're using Firefox and its spellcheck feature. Although, in the above case, "wile" is also a word, just not the word "while".

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 52 of 76, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

There shouldn't be any reason for some of these kind of mistakes if you're using Firefox and its spellcheck feature. Although, in the above case, "wile" is also a word, just not the word "while".

Does this feature require an SSE2-compatible CPU, or is there some feature I need to manually enable?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 53 of 76, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

To be fair, if you aren't a native english speaker, the spellcheck feature of the browser might be trying to correct it as if it were written in another language. I deactivated mine because it was getting on my nerves, as I cound not even type "an" without the autocorrect making an appearance and 'correcting' it to "na" (the feminine form of "in the" in pt-BR)

Reply 54 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

(Makes a miraculous recovery and comes back to the Land of the Living ^^)

Stiletto wrote:

I knew this thread would become awesome. 😁

Please understand: I'm not a terrible Grammar Nazi, but when a post is all but unreadable it can stop me in my tracks. If I haven't had my coffee in the morning, I may even use mod powers to fix that if it aggravates me enough. But often I let a ton of things slide.

I know what you're saying Stiletto. My Grammar Nazi comment was meant to lighten things up, nothing more (as well as a small distraction from the daily grind).

I also agree with alexanrs about the Firefox spellcheck getting in the way sometimes (it's even trying to do so right now 😜 ), in particular when typing anything other than English words (really Firefox, give me a break! I know what I'm doing, so stop highlighting every single word I type in Spanish, please!). Unfortunately I have to keep the spellcheck on since I type in English most of the time, at least it helps me out with seldom used words; just have to live with it, I guess 😒

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 56 of 76, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

OH MAN!!!!! NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 57 of 76, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a good one that people haven't mentioned yet: when people follow an acronym with the last word of the acronym. Examples:

PC computer
CPU unit
RAM memory!

I have seen all these recently.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 58 of 76, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.engrish.com/most-popular/

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 59 of 76, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
leileilol wrote:

The Qaud CoreDuel Computer With An X Fire American D Hi Defiantion Radon It's is Literaly To Personnel Computer's in I !

You are winner !!!

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png