Common searches

How can I FAT32 format my hard disk?

Topic actions

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got an old 500GB hard disk, which I messed about a bit with (possibly put Win 7 on it at some point) but now I'd like to install Win98SE to run an old game. However when I come to reset the disk, fdisk worked fine, and now the disk reports it's in RAW format. I tried doing a format to FAT32 inside WinXP, but after a few hours of chugging away it finished saying it was too big for FAT32?!

If I run the Win98 CD and startup disk, it says it'll format the drive, but then sits at 0% with seemingly no hard disk access for hour+.

Anyone got any other ideas or ways I can format it?

Oh, I should add that in WinXP Disk Management area, it reports the disk having something like a GPT protected partition, as well as the writable bit, both listed as 500GB...

Are there any third party programs that can make this drive formatable as FAT32?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 1 of 31, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

XP won't allow you to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB (even though it can see and use such partitions). 98/ME will.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314463
https://support.microsoft.com/EN-US/kb/255867

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Download a windows 98SE boot disk from the net. And do not forget to choose quick format (/q option) if you don't want to wait for looong.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 31, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or use any Linux and use gparted to create and format the partitions.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 31, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:

Or use any Linux and use gparted to create and format the partitions.

This^

Linux live stick really is your friend when windows craps out on you

Reply 6 of 31, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Personally I use Partition Magic. It's not freeware, but does the job without much complaints. Granted, a Linux Live distro will also do (and it's free 😎 ).

I also agree with collector, this topic makes more sense in Marvin or Milliways.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 7 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:

Download a windows 98SE boot disk from the net. And do not forget to choose quick format (/q option) if you don't want to wait for looong.

The links:

Masterbooter: Actually it is a multi boot management application but its efdisk partitioning utility is a gem. aAd fully functional in its shareware (no time limit) version.
http://www.masterbooter.com/download/sharewar … version_en.html

Windows 98SE boot disk (and many others): Choose the one you like.
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 10 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a modern Windows PC, I use Fat32Format. It's extremely fast and there is also a GUI version.
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm

If there's no Windows involved, I would boot Gparted Live, Parted Magic, Partition Magic, or some other random thing on UBCD perhaps.

Reply 11 of 31, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

. And do not forget to choose quick format (/q option) if you don't want to wait for looong.

NO
You can only quick format a drive if its already formatted with the same file system, you can't quick format ntfs to fat32 or fat16 to fat32 only fat32 to fat32 or ntfs to ntfs ect

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 12 of 31, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

XP won't allow you to format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB (even though it can see and use such partitions). 98/ME will.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314463
https://support.microsoft.com/EN-US/kb/255867

XP can't?

tayyare wrote:

Lol, I always slaved my drives to an XP system as I never knew 9x had a quick format option 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DISKPART can't - it will tell you that partitions bigger than 323GB need to be fo. You can just use something like EASEUS Partition Magic or a compatible version of Partition Magic and format it under XP. Or any other partitioning tool really.

Reply 14 of 31, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lots of good options have been posted.

Some others I can think off:

If it's a Seagate, boot from SeaTools for DOS and put a capacity limit on the drive. 120 GB for example, or 60 GB.

The other option is a USB docking station on a modern PC and using tools such as mini partition wizard, great little tool.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 15 of 31, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pretty sure you can at the command prompt, either with FORMAT or in DISKPART.

Edit: OK, format will get to the end and fail when it's >32GB. DISKPART should still be able to do it?

NO
You can only quick format a drive if its already formatted with the same file system, you can't quick format ntfs to fat32 or fat16 to fat32 only fat32 to fat32 or ntfs to ntfs ect

Not true. If you use DISKPART to CLEAN a disk and create a new empty partition, you can still format it as NTFS with the QUICK option.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 16 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meh still struggling; I used Fat32Format initially, this went well and formatted it, but Win98 I read only allows disks/partitions up to 137GB... so when I booted Win98 setup it said the drive needed formatting then got stuck on the formatting screen with no text appearing.

So, I ran SeaTools (as it is a Seagate drive) and tried setting the max size to 120GB, but now the drive is doing the same thing in Win98 setup, can't be seen in Fat32Format or fdisk (from Win98 bootup disk) says integer divide by 0 error, SeaTools says error trying to set any size to the disk, DISKPART and WindowsXP Disk Management can't see the drive and BIOS reports it as a 0MB disk 😒

How can I revive the disk and then set it to something that Win98SE can actually use?

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 17 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Win98 doesn't really have a 137GB limit per se. Its the built in IDE driver that doesn't support LBA48 addressing, which is necessary to use HDDs bigger than 137GB. Just get this and patch Windows 98.
Now, the erros you are getting now are beyond my knowledge.

Reply 18 of 31, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

Win98 doesn't really have a 137GB limit per se. Its the built in IDE driver that doesn't support LBA48 addressing, which is necessary to use HDDs bigger than 137GB. Just get this and patch Windows 98.
Now, the erros you are getting now are beyond my knowledge.

Yes. FAT32 supports up to 2Tb *if* the system supports 48-bit addressing.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 19 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alexanrs wrote:

I guess that might work, if I had 98 installed already and was adding this as a slave drive, but I'm trying to install 98 in the first place... Would using this fdisk/format from a floppy, after booting using the Win98 bootup disk work?