Common searches

How can I FAT32 format my hard disk?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe the patch's readme has instructions for that. Or you could just create a partition under the 120GB mark, install it, patch it, then create another partition.

Reply 21 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Boot with the floppy (choose CDROM support), partition and format as suggested, then copy the relevant directory (the one with setup.exe and all the cab files) from w98 CD into your HDD, and start setup from HDD. This is what I always do.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 22 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, I got lucky and SeaTools for DOS allowed me to format the drive as 32GB, so I'm installed Win98 now. Hopefully it'll work, as it's a P4 3.2GHz Extreme Edition...

All I'm trying to do is get some screenshots of Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix Championship 1998, but it only worked on my old (now sold as parts) Win98 machine. The only other option I can think of is DOSBox with Direct3D patched version, although I've seen that can be hit-and-miss.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 24 of 31, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ultimate Boot CD contains the proprietary HDD installation utilities from major hard drive makers - WD, Seagate, etc. You can either get this ISO or download only the required file to help partition your drive.

I had similar problem when partitioning my 320GB WD drive for Windows 98. Partitioning via Win98's Boot CD DOS FDISK will report wrong drive capacity - takes forever during integrity check and formatting. After formatting the drive shows full capacity. I created two partitions and in Win98's DOS, it couldn't see the 2nd partition even when in logical mode.

But you can install Windows 98 after doing FDISK and it will just work.

I had better result after limiting the partition size to 137GB limit. Formatting and such has no problems after using WD's Data Lifeguard Tools, which is included in the Ultimate Boot CD. That CD has many other tools that can be used for troubleshooting.

[Usually I create two partitions one large portion for the OS, and another smaller portion to keep the CD contents and drivers and all the tools and software. Installing Win98 from the HDD is fast and later on, when installing drivers, Win98 will automatically search in this drive when it requires the original CD (which can also be done in registry - but out of scope for this topic already)]

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 25 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The current issue now is that whilst Win98SE, that latest DirectX 9.0c that it supports, and the BFG Nvidia drivers that support 7800 GS are all installed, the graphics card won't work/initialise in Win98SE 🙁 it gives a black screen with a flashing cursor the first time you change res/color depth, then when you reset, it says the card couldn't be initialised and goes back to 640x480 16 colours.

My PC spec: Win10 64bit, i7-4970K (not overclocked), KFA2 GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, Creative Soundblaster ZXr, 16GB RAM, Asus Z97-A motherboard, NZXT 410 case, ROG Swift GSYNC monitor

Reply 26 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I'll try Win98SE inside DosBox, though my first trials of that (following a guide or two on VOGONS) failed so far :-p

Reply 27 of 31, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

The current issue now is that whilst Win98SE, that latest DirectX 9.0c that it supports, and the BFG Nvidia drivers that support 7800 GS are all installed, the graphics card won't work/initialise in Win98SE 🙁 it gives a black screen with a flashing cursor the first time you change res/color depth, then when you reset, it says the card couldn't be initialised and goes back to 640x480 16 colours.

Don't you have a lesser card? I always heard 7000 series Nvidia cards does not mix up well with Windows 98. A 5000 series card or lesser will probably work without any problems.

I also heard that installing 98 in dosbox is not an easy flowing process.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 28 of 31, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tayyare wrote:
VirtuaIceMan wrote:

Don't you have a lesser card? I always heard 7000 series Nvidia cards does not mix up well with Windows 98. A 5000 series card or lesser will probably work without any problems.

^+1

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 29 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I could get a cheap old AGP card. Just trying Win98SE in DOSBox now...

Reply 30 of 31, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which worked!!!

Reply 31 of 31, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VirtuaIceMan wrote on 2015-12-31, 10:47:
I've got an old 500GB hard disk, which I messed about a bit with (possibly put Win 7 on it at some point) but now I'd like to in […]
Show full quote

I've got an old 500GB hard disk, which I messed about a bit with (possibly put Win 7 on it at some point) but now I'd like to install Win98SE to run an old game. However when I come to reset the disk, fdisk worked fine, and now the disk reports it's in RAW format. I tried doing a format to FAT32 inside WinXP, but after a few hours of chugging away it finished saying it was too big for FAT32?!

If I run the Win98 CD and startup disk, it says it'll format the drive, but then sits at 0% with seemingly no hard disk access for hour+.

Anyone got any other ideas or ways I can format it?

Oh, I should add that in WinXP Disk Management area, it reports the disk having something like a GPT protected partition, as well as the writable bit, both listed as 500GB...

Are there any third party programs that can make this drive formatable as FAT32?

bump on recent discovery
this is important for legacy support.

AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional will do it for free I hooked up my ATA133 500gb PATA disk to windows 10 pc for it. Being just a simple partition / format I bet a usb hdd caddy is all thats needed to do it as they usually support up to 1tb on USB2. Up to 3tb PATA/ SATA disks will run fat32 single volume disks that theres no AHCI involved until after 3tb size disks.
GPT can be reverted to basic in windows disk manager safely or with 3rd party tool
Have just placed a secondary disk with a 2tb sata with pci controller fat32 disk in my millennium tower good for multimedia. (may even try booting)