VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I was flashing this laptop bios with a custom post splash image but something went wrong and after rebooting i only get a black screen and a fan running... no beeps, and no disk access that i could notice. If i remove the ram i get the proper amount of beeps though, so the post works that far 😀
Does anyone know anything i could do to try to recover this laptop?
Thanks and a happy new year!

Reply 1 of 8, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:
I opened her up, and found the following on the mainboard:

20160110_124611.jpg
Filename
20160110_124611.jpg
File size
3.57 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Seems to me like I could change the second switch on SW-1 to enable the BootBlock (BB) and hopefully this way reflash the BIOS?

Reply 2 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know. If your BIOS chip is socketed (I really don't know how this is done for laptops, but I reckon most weren't socketed due to space constraints), I'd say the easiest way is to reflash it somehow, I've heard good things about EPROM burners but never used one myself.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 8, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j'ordos wrote:

Seems to me like I could change the second switch on SW-1 to enable the BootBlock (BB) and hopefully this way reflash the BIOS?

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/mbsys/bios/compBoot-c.html

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 8, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

I don't know. If your BIOS chip is socketed (I really don't know how this is done for laptops, but I reckon most weren't socketed due to space constraints), I'd say the easiest way is to reflash it somehow, I've heard good things about EPROM burners but never used one myself.

Yes, I was initially looking for the BIOS chip when I opened the laptop 😀 I couldn't see it anywhere (the white three pin connector in the photo is for the CMOS battery so it should be around this area), I'm afraid it's on the underside of the board and I am too lazy to remove everything to access it for now. :p Anyway, it will most likely be soldered on..

PCBONEZ: right, I will give it a go!

Reply 5 of 8, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems like it worked!
I created a floppy with a tool called WINCRISIS, using the latest BIOS from fujitsu (H2U_A1F.ABL in my case). The filename had to be renamed to BIOS.WPH for the tool. Then, with the switch set to BB enable, I inserted the floppy and turned on the laptop. It started reading the floppy and after a while it began beeping. I powered it off, reset the switch and powered it on again and all seems well.

Reply 6 of 8, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CONGRATS!!!

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cheers! Well done 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!