VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What im thinking on is that from computer A that already has a os system on it, i'd install from that to computer B that is empty and have no system on it, all of the computer's are useing lan connection, shouldnt that be possible today? it should be installed with ms dos 6.2 and then with windows 95.

Reply 1 of 19, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can get network booting going, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Acronis and other disk image programs can also restore across the network.

I will be slower than from CD however.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 19, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know my university did that with Windows 9x back in the day, on the library computers.
They would just receive a fresh OS image everytime they booted, via PXE network boot.
It requires two things:
1) A computer with a network card that has a PXE-compatible boot rom (these ROMs are optional, and not found on most consumer network cards).
2) Another computer that acts as a PXE-compatible server (basically you need to provide DHCP and TFTP), to distribute the bootstrap and the actual image of the OSes you want to install.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 4 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I PXE boot DOS images all the time. It would require some repacking, but I don't see a reason this couldn't be done.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll need to start doing some reading.
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK

Reply 8 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's fine. PXELINUX is just an overlay on DHCPd / TFTPd which allows you to boot stuff. You can run all the server processes on Windows. Or you can do what I sometimes do and serve all the necessary stuff off your router.

Reply 10 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it's not Windows. PXE is a boot environment like El Torito for optical disks. PXELINUX is a set of tools and a configuration syntax which allows you to create a flexible PXE environment. It uses standardized services to operate, so you can use almost anything network enabled to deliver the required files.

Incidentally, PXELINUX has a sister program called ISOLINUX which does El Torito. Configuration is pretty much the same.

Reply 12 of 19, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to have something on your network which is running the right programs. It can be a Windows PC, a Linux computer, a sufficient flexible wireless router, etc. If you want to use Windows, look up how to set up DHCP and TFTP on a Windows computer. The remainder can be accomplished by following one of several online guides for configuring a PXE server.

I'll leave it to your judgment whether it's worth proceeding at this point, but this is the clearest way I can state the requirements.

Reply 13 of 19, by Nic-93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The computer have a windows system on it now, just did it with a cd, has anyone gotten installed driver's on it remotely without the computer had the internet connection on it?
its windows 98

Reply 14 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the PC is in a network you can just start an FTP server on your router and put the drivers there from a machine allowed to access the internet, but you need to get the NIC working in the first place.

Reply 16 of 19, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Internet Drivers"? Remember that networking and Internet aren't exactly the same thing. If you mean the NIC's drivers, then yes, they must be installed before you can access anything in the network like an FTP server.