VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For some reason I can't quite explain, I like Westwood RTS than Blizzard RTS. Yes, Starcraft and Warcraft III have great story, but each mission feels almost like chore to advance the story. Warcraft III mission feels "less chore" than Starcraft mission, but still...

Westwood RTS, on the other hand, have exciting mission. My most favorite is Emperor: Battle for Dune, playing as House Atreides. While the story isn't really bad, I'm not quite paying attention to it since I'm too busy playing the mission. I remember reading an Emperor: Battle for Dune review, that the battle tend to be repetitive, because the battle of each province is randomly generated instead of meticulously scripted like, say, Warcraft III. However, each battle is exciting to me, that I took the extra effort to capture every single province when playing the Atreides campaign. My next favorite is Red Alert 2, where each mission is also exciting.

Both Emperor: Battle for Dune and Red Alert 2 are RTS that I play more than one mission in a row, because each battle is so exciting that I can't wait to play the next battle. Blizzard RTS, on the other hand, are the opposite. I tend think, "alright, maybe I'll play the next mission tomorrow" after finishing a mission, because the mission feels like a chore that I feel mentally tired after finishing it. When playing Blizzard RTS, the motivation to play a mission is more to see the story than playing the mission itself, while when playing Westwood RTS, I don't really care about the story because I just can't wait to play the next mission.

Of course, there are Westwood games with less-than-exciting missions, like the first Command & Conquer or Tiberian Sun, but they're still way more enjoyable than Warcraft I. Heck, I even enjoy Dune II much more than Warcraft I.

Problem is, I can't even explain why do I find Westwood RTS are more exciting than Blizzard RTS. The best explanation I can give is that when playing Blizzard RTS, I always read the walkthrough first, because I'm way too lazy to figure out the puzzle to finish the mission. But when playing Westwood RTS, I rarely need walkthrough because I always enjoy figuring out how to finish the mission myself --which usually involves more strategy and less puzzle.

Anyone feels the same?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should give Emperor - Battle for Dune a chance, and I did like Starcraft a lot.

But personally I agree with Westwood campaigns leaving me with a feeling of "epicness", even though some of the missions were kinda a drag because they were so hard.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 43, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Protip: There are 7 billion people on earth, you aren't the "only one" that does anything. 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 43, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer Gas Powered Games / Cavedog over both of them. 😁

Though a few months ago I beat a significant chunk of both Dune 2000 and Tiberian Sun. Dune 2000 is just too simple and outmoded. Tiberian Sun is probably my favorite Westwood RTS. Red Alert 2 is basically more of that in a different setting.

I have tried to get into Emperor a few times but it hasn't grabbed me. I think it's just too much more of the same. The 3D isn't exactly a big improvement over the 2D art / voxels either.

Reply 5 of 43, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's interesting that I never played the Emperor and I never liked the 3rd instalment of Warcraft. Dune II and Warcraft II are the best from my early years.

From "newer" RTS I played like 99% of the time just Warhammer 40K series - many times over. But it's been like 5 years since I really played _any_ game at all - that seems depressing right now 🤣

I guess I have to find the time to try the Emperor.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 43, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Protip: There are 7 billion people on earth, you aren't the "only one" that does anything. 😜

I am the only one typing this here right now.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 8 of 43, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I should give Emperor - Battle for Dune a chance, and I did like Starcraft a lot.

But personally I agree with Westwood campaigns leaving me with a feeling of "epicness", even though some of the missions were kinda a drag because they were so hard.

The hardest mission in Emperor: Battle for Dune is taking the opponent's home planet, because there's no spice. Fortunately, we are given Ixian projector to "clone" our army. The clone army would die after one hit, so the walkthrough suggest we clone Fremen Fedaykin because they can attack with impunity, due to the fact they're invisible.

Well, I didn't read the walkthrough, and found myself winning with cloned Minotaurs instead of Fedaykin, and that's probably the reason I like Westwood RTS better than Blizzard RTS.

kixs wrote:

If you like strong defense then you're probably gonna' like House Atreides, especially in early low tech level where Kindjal/Sniper combo beats everything.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 43, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
kixs wrote:

If you like strong defense then you're probably gonna' like House Atreides, especially in early low tech level where Kindjal/Sniper combo beats everything.

I never felt great need of Kindjal and snipers. Minotaurs are the best overall units in the game . They destroy infantry easily and can wreak havoc on armored and light units too, especially when you have a group of minotaurs packed for defense. Against buildings they are just as incredibly good. Only disadvantage is no air capability. Just put 2 or 3 Mongooses next to the Minotaurs and victory is yours.

Reply 10 of 43, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carlostex wrote:
kixs wrote:

I never felt great need of Kindjal and snipers. Minotaurs are the best overall units in the game . They destroy infantry easily and can wreak havoc on armored and light units too, especially when you have a group of minotaurs packed for defense. Against buildings they are just as incredibly good. Only disadvantage is no air capability. Just put 2 or 3 Mongooses next to the Minotaurs and victory is yours.

Indeed, but Minotaurs turn slowly, while Kindjals don't have to turn to fire at off-axis enemies. In early games, Kindjals and Snipers rule the battlefield, until infantry-killing machines like Inkvine Catapults and Kobra show up.

In any case, Minotaurs are great against on the open field --that I have grown a habit of relying on them too much. Then I learned the hard lesson when facing the Ordos, because Minotaurs are almost useless against Hovertanks. That's where I learned to change tactics, relying more on Moongoses than Minotaurs.

But then again, it's probably the reason why I like Westwood RTS than Blizzard RTS. Not that we don't have to adapt our tactics against different enemies in Blizzard RTS; probably there are such moments too, but I just fail to notice it since I'm too busy figuring out the correct "puzzle sequence" to win a Blizzard mission.

Though, well, Blizzard RTS have better stories and better voice acting, while Westwood stories and acting are campy sometimes.

Reply 11 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

Though a few months ago I beat a significant chunk of both Dune 2000 and Tiberian Sun. Dune 2000 is just too simple and outmoded. Tiberian Sun is probably my favorite Westwood RTS. Red Alert 2 is basically more of that in a different setting.

I have tried to get into Emperor a few times but it hasn't grabbed me. I think it's just too much more of the same. The 3D isn't exactly a big improvement over the 2D art / voxels either.

But these are a totally different level altogether, imo TA is still the best and most groundbreaking RTS of all time. I got like 8 copies of TA (I lost count 😁)

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 43, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In any case, Minotaurs are great against on the open field --that I have grown a habit of relying on them too much. Then I learned the hard lesson when facing the Ordos, because Minotaurs are almost useless against Hovertanks. That's where I learned to change tactics, relying more on Moongoses than Minotaurs.

I never had problems with Minotaurs against Hovertanks as usually my Minotaur groups are big enough to get rid of those annoyingly fast buggers. Even if they get the chance to fire a shot, by that point my Minotaurs are already "generals" and self heal. I usually put 2 repair units around the Minotaur groups and they keep them all fresh and healthy too. 😎

Reply 13 of 43, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

I like Ensemble Studios the most, putting those farmers to work. 😈
Also Cossacks was pretty fun, basically AoE without the popcap.

Reply 14 of 43, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

StarCraft: Brood War had incredibly fun multiplayer that I used to play the crap out of with my friends, but Blizzard screwed it all up for SC2 by trying to appeal to the e-sports crowd. WC3 I never really played much of to develop an honest opinion of, but WC II was incredible for its time if a bit simplistic by modern standards. As far as WestWood RTSs go, the one I've played the most is actually Dune II of all things, though C&C Tiberian Sun is pretty awesome as well. Never really played the other ones much, I've sampled some of the other C&Cs, and got stuck on the third mission of Red Alert 1 years ago, but that's about it.

What are some other RTSs a person should try if they enjoy Brood War, Dune II, and Tib Sun?

Reply 16 of 43, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it depends on the games. I do prefer C&C and Red Alert to Warcraft II , while I also prefer Starcraft to Tiberian Sun or Red Alert 2 (both of which are still fantastic).

Emperor Battle For Dune I didn't manage to get into nearly as much , same for Dune2000 , while Warcraft III is a favourite game of mine.

Reply 17 of 43, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Procyon wrote:

Yeah I do AOE2 as well. My friends always like to LAN that one up. The net code isn't so great though and it can get very laggy.

Tetrium wrote:

But these are a totally different level altogether, imo TA is still the best and most groundbreaking RTS of all time. I got like 8 copies of TA (I lost count 😁)

Yeah I have TA and Core Contingency on CD. That game is definitely my favorite RTS of its time. We played tons of hours of multiplayer and the mods were nuts. The mods are still going. I saw they have one with shields and experimental-sized units.

Reply 18 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:
Yeah I do AOE2 as well. My friends always like to LAN that one up. The net code isn't so great though and it can get very la […]
Show full quote
Procyon wrote:

Yeah I do AOE2 as well. My friends always like to LAN that one up. The net code isn't so great though and it can get very laggy.

Tetrium wrote:

Yeah I have TA and Core Contingency on CD. That game is definitely my favorite RTS of its time. We played tons of hours of multiplayer and the mods were nuts. The mods are still going. I saw they have one with shields and experimental-sized units.

Yes, I think it's amazing how long the TA community has managed to last. Last time we played TA in a LAN it was Total Mayhem and the shields were in another mod (Escalation?). At some point we moved on to spring and I even ended up porting some things over from TA which mostly involved redoing the unit files, along with a few other things.

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 43, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I loved Total Annihilation - still do. Oddly enough the game works fine on win 8.1 x64 even in widescreen 😀 - still play with my sister sometimes.