VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I posted this in Milliways because I'm not asking necessarily about retro hardware (though if it's an older flightstick that will work on a modern PC, I'm good with that). I hope that is okay. If not, do what you need to.

Looking for a flightsim joystick for my son's computer. He has a modern i5/Win10 PC, so it needs to be USB. But it needs to be very reasonably priced. Any recommendations?

It will probably be used both for modern flightsims as well as GOG.com retro flightsims.

Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 18, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Logitech Attack 3. Yes, it's no CH, but it's compact, it's durable, and always dependable. Also, it's somewhat programmable using Logitech software. Just like AK-47, it's probably not much, but it always gets the job done.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Logitech Attack 3. Yes, it's no CH, but it's compact, it's durable, and always dependable. Also, it's somewhat programmable using Logitech software. Just like AK-47, it's probably not much, but it always gets the job done.

Thank you for putting that one on my radar. It seems like it's only available used at this point, which is the only thing that gives me hesitation. But the other two that seem to be top rated for less than $40 are the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X and the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Any thought from anyone on how these three compare?

edit: there is a "new in box" Attack 3 on ebay for $28 shipped. Looks like a nice price, I may pull the trigger on that one.

Reply 3 of 18, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Thank you for putting that one on my radar. It seems like it's only available used at this point, which is the only thing that gives me hesitation. But the other two that seem to be top rated for less than $40 are the Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X and the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Any thought from anyone on how these three compare?

edit: there is a "new in box" Attack 3 on ebay for $28 shipped. Looks like a nice price, I may pull the trigger on that one.

Never tried Thrustmaster T-Flight Stick X myself, but Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is quite a versatile stick. Of course, the Logitech 3D Pro cannot compare to a real HOTAS setup, but it works pretty nice for something arcadish like Crimson Skies.

It should be noted that I prefer a real HOTAS setup for Pacific Strike --which consists of CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals in my case. Not because Pacific Strike is realistic, but because there are moments when you need to "spread your fire" by yawing left and right while pursuing rather slow bombers while keeping your aircraft on the same plane with the said bombers. That's where I find twist rudder control uncomfortable, because it makes me tend to roll as well as yaw, ruining my aim in the process. However, I don't think it's the fault of the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, because Pacific Strike's controls can be sluggish and overly sensitive at the same time --it's the case where you need a HOTAS setup not because the flight model is realistic, but because the flight model is so fatiguing to the player that you need a true HOTAS to alleviate the fatigue.

In Comanche 4, where the flight model isn't as annoying as Pacific Strike, the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro substitutes a full HOTAS setup nicely. Of course, it's more exciting to use HOTAS, but Logitech Extreme 3D Pro works just fine. The Extreme 3D Pro has actually become my "traveling joystick", where I would play something that has throttle and rudder controls during business travels (say, in hotel rooms) without a full set of HOTAS controllers because they're too cumbersome to carry around.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 4 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I appreciate your feedback. So I'm deciding between the Extreme 3D Pro for $32 (new on Newegg) and the Attack 3 for $28 (ebay seller claims it is new). Tough choice. Keep in mind we are not joystick afficianados like you--this will be a 1st joystick for my son so we can play basic games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter and IL-2 Sturmovik 1946, etc. Maybe some modern flight games off of Steam, etc.

Reply 5 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have that Logitech 3D stick as well, but also a Thrustmaster T.16000. I prefer the Thrustmaster hands down. For games such as Wing Commander or flight simulators I really think it's the better stick.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 18, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When it comes to flight sticks, you need to consider game compatibility. Look at the games that it will be used with and check if the model flight stick you are considering are compatible. Don't assume that a flight stick is the same as a joystick or game pad. Quite often you will have to program a stick's host software as well and configuration of the game for each button, switch, knob, throttle, and other extra features.

Of the budget sticks, I find the Thrustmaster T-Flight to be the best. It's well built, but very light weight. Heavy is a preferred trait in flight sticks. The T-Flight is very compatible with many modern games and easy to use with older games.

The 1600 is a bit more complicated in setup, and not as compatible with as many games as the T-Flight, but feels way more precise. You cant go wrong with either of them.

If you decide to step it up to the next level, I recommend the X-55 Rhino. It's neither a budget model, nor is it simple to use. In fact it's a bit of chore just to install it, as it needs its own powered USB hub. It also doesn't work well with older games, but its well worth its price and required effort. DCS, Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen feel like vr worlds with the precision and features this stick offers. It's my modern goto stick for current release games.

Reply 7 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you Kreshna and Phil. After researching all the different models suggested and taking your comments into consideration, I ordered the T.16000m. It was a little more money than I was intending to spend, but it sounds like it's the best option under $50. My original spending limit was $40, so I did go over a bit, paying $48 shipped.

Reply 8 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kodai wrote:

The 1600 is a bit more complicated in setup, and not as compatible with as many games as the T-Flight, but feels way more precise.

Hi Kodai, can you expand a little on this statement? I just ordered this stick and now am having reservations about setup and compatibility. 🤣.

Reply 9 of 18, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It was only meant as a direct compression to the T-Flight. The 16000 is more of a flight stick and as such, some of the buttons have to be mapped. The T-Flight is more like a game pad in the way most games communicate with it. It's an internal hardware thing, and nothing to be overly concerned with. The T-Flight can actually be used like a joystick which is why its more "compatible ". But the 16000 has better precision and will tend to be a better flight stick. Either way, they are both good budget sticks and you can't go wrong with either choice. I have both and like both of them.

Reply 10 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, gents. Looking forward to the new 'stick! I probably won't be using it much (other than configuring and testing), as it will be on son's Win10 PC, but now he can play some flight sims. 😉

Reply 11 of 18, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Thank you Kreshna and Phil. After researching all the different models suggested and taking your comments into consideration, I ordered the T.16000m. It was a little more money than I was intending to spend, but it sounds like it's the best option under $50. My original spending limit was $40, so I did go over a bit, paying $48 shipped.

I was actually going to suggest you to buy the cheapest stick available (Logitech Attack 3) while saving money to buy a full HOTAS setup later (CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals). Nonetheless, I hope the T.16000m works well. 😀

Reply 12 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A tip for using any joystick with DOSBox that has a hat and rudder functions, make sure you configure DOSBox correctly. I usually set the joystick type to FCS, then you can map the rudder and hat, even in games that don't support this, like in Wing Commander. So you can look around with the hat and twisting the stick does a roll.

Anything modern is really easy to configure. Usually you go into the options of the game, click on the function, press the button or move the stick and it's mapped. It's really easy. What I like about the T.16000 is the lower resistance and further travel the stick does. The Logitech stick is more "hard work" so to speak 🤣

Reply 13 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was actually going to suggest you to buy the cheapest stick available (Logitech Attack 3) while saving money to buy a full HOTAS setup later (CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, and Pro Pedals). Nonetheless, I hope the T.16000m works well. 😀

It was a tough call, for sure. But I don't see us getting serious enough for a full-on HOTAS setup, so I think the T.16000M might end up being "high end" for us. 😀

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

A tip for using any joystick with DOSBox that has a hat and rudder functions, make sure you configure DOSBox correctly. I usually set the joystick type to FCS, then you can map the rudder and hat, even in games that don't support this, like in Wing Commander. So you can look around with the hat and twisting the stick does a roll.

Anything modern is really easy to configure. Usually you go into the options of the game, click on the function, press the button or move the stick and it's mapped. It's really easy. What I like about the T.16000 is the lower resistance and further travel the stick does. The Logitech stick is more "hard work" so to speak 🤣

Thanks, mate. Cheers!

Reply 14 of 18, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS T.Flight X and it's really well built for what it is. Has a huge deadzone on the main stick so might be a little tricky to adjust to, but otherwise has a lot of functionality for its price. :)

However, one thing I really need to point out: If this is for a Windows 10 machine, I'm going to assume a lot of the gaming is going to be more modern. Keep in mind that many of the flightsticks out there do NOT support XInput, so if a modern game supports XInput but not DirectInput, you're kinda screwed. There MIGHT be some DirectInput -> XInput mappers out there but I haven't really found anything like that yet... maybe I'm not searching hard enough. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 15 of 18, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I knew then what I know now, I would never buy a new joystick ever again.

I see so many barely-used and perfectly functional MS Precision Pro sticks at thrift stores for $2-$4. As long as you've got the USB adapter for it, they're as good or better than any new ThrustMaster, Logitech, or Saitek stick. They work just fine in XP, Vista, and Win7 with programming software like JoyToKey or XPadder. I haven't tested mine in Win8 or Win10, but I suspect it would work just fine there too. Just make sure you get model 57540, as earlier versions will not work with the USB adapter.

For Win98, the MS SideWinder 3D Pro is probably the best choice because it's an ambidextrous digital stick with DOS support. I can never thank VOGONS member Akula65 enough for his fantastic work on making the drivers work correctly.

Reply 16 of 18, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The T.16000 also works in Windows 98 😀

But not for DOS games, it's great for Descent 3 or Wing Commander Prophecy however.

Reply 17 of 18, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

+1 for the Thrustmaster T.16000M, one of the better joysticks I own and IMO better than the CH sticks especially when comparing the price.
I got mine for less than €50,- and can probably be bought for around $40 depending on where you get it.
GOG.com games use DosBox and I know from experience that this joystick works with these DOS games (actually no USB gamecontroller ever gave me problems in DosBox).
The only thing I don't like about this joystick is the TARGET software, it's bloated and overly complicated to use, on the other hand you can just ignore the software but Logitech's Profiler software is much more userfriendly for instance.

Reply 18 of 18, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

For Win98, the MS SideWinder 3D Pro is probably the best choice because it's an ambidextrous digital stick with DOS support. I can never thank VOGONS member Akula65 enough for his fantastic work on making the drivers work correctly.

Thank you for this. I do have a Sidewinder 3D Pro that shares duty between my Win98SE and WinXP rigs, so I will be trying out his driver. Both systems have PCI sound cards with gameports, so no USB adapters.

I also have a CH Products Mach I for my DOS PC. Despite it being a "joystick" and not a "flightstick" I still find it very responsive for Wing Commander and X-wing/Tie Fighter. The fact that it is easily hand-held and controllable with two fingers makes it very responsive. Plus, you don't need to have extra desk space to place it while using it.