VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

At work I like listening to youtube videos from 12voltvids from time to time. He shows how to do hardware repairs on electronics, like televisions. Unfortunately there's nothing on repairing computer hardware. I searched on youtube myself, but I didn't really find anything I liked. So I thought I'd ask around here.
What I like is someone that's easy to listen to, so no indian english for example, and that are to the point. That's why I like 12voltvids (and e.g. chomsky videos 😀 )
Bonus points for videos about old computer hardware ofcourse. 😀

Reply 1 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd be somewhat interested in this myself actually. I did once come across some youtube vid which was basically a music video showing how to reflow some PCI-E graphics card or something 🤣!

I'm pretty sure some of these should exist, perhaps search for something about the recapping of motherboard? Usually motherboards that are recapped will be old enough to develop bulging/leaking caps in the first place 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 5, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I'd be somewhat interested in this myself actually. I did once come across some youtube vid which was basically a music video showing how to reflow some PCI-E graphics card or something 🤣!

I'm pretty sure some of these should exist, perhaps search for something about the recapping of motherboard? Usually motherboards that are recapped will be old enough to develop bulging/leaking caps in the first place 😀

I've been wanting to find time to make such videos for a long time. Are people interested in simply knowing what can be fixed or do you want to see actual techniques such as soldering / using a multimeter, etc? I only have one video so far but I will do more if I can find the time.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brassicGamer wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

I've been wanting to find time to make such videos for a long time. Are people interested in simply knowing what can be fixed or do you want to see actual techniques such as soldering / using a multimeter, etc? I only have one video so far but I will do more if I can find the time.

There are several regulars on Vogons who, in some cases, have had a youtube channel for years. Often they have a thread over here Release Announcements with newest videos for feedback and such, you could ask there, I only watch youtube vids about retrocomputing now and then so don't actually have any real preference right now (but one in which retro hardware is repaired, those aren't very common)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 5, by j'ordos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

That video was surprisingly good actually, pretty much exactly what I meant! I'd certainly watch more. Explaining how to solder or use a multimeter for me personally isn't interesting to watch. 😀

I'll take a look at the threads there tetrium, thanks.

Reply 5 of 5, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
j'ordos wrote:

That video was surprisingly good actually, pretty much exactly what I meant! I'd certainly watch more. Explaining how to solder or use a multimeter for me personally isn't interesting to watch. 😀

Thanks for the feedback =D

There's definitely more in the pipeline. I figured that soldering itself is pretty generic and can be seen anywhere else.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.