Common searches

Doom reboot

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 56, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep looks trash, I was outright revolted by the amount of gore. The take downs and interactive bits like prying open the door just don't belong in a game like this either...

Guns look like they were ripped straight from Mass Effect also.

Also the "verticality" they were talking about with jumping and double jumping on platforms and stuff is frankly a stupid idea and has NOTHING to do with the original Doom.

I also agree with the modern naming trend being dumb, whenever they remake something and it's worse it totally mars the name of the original. I hate it when they do this with movie remakes.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 41 of 56, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iris030380 wrote:

This about sums it up ....

"This video mirrors my personal opinions and tastes, therefore is objectively correct."

Please.

When did this forum become more about shitting on the new than celebrating the old?? Have we not got better things to focus our energy on?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 42 of 56, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

When did this forum become more about shitting on the new than celebrating the old?? Have we not got better things to focus our energy on?

Exactly. Of course new Doom won't be like old Doom. If you want to play old Doom, play old Doom.

I for one am excited to see what the Doom 4 turns out like. The cutscene kills and what have you can be turned off from what I've read, so the only gripe I have with it has been solved.

I can't see why people are judging this book by its cover. Nobody has even played it yet.

Reply 44 of 56, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Iris030380 wrote:

Absolute trash. This about sums it up ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dw6F-rQ3aw

Brutal Doom = absolute trash
Doom 4 = absolute trash in 3D

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 46 of 56, by brotalnia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have two wishes concerning the new Doom. I want it to be at least a bit scary like Doom 3 and i want a lot of gore. So far it fulfills the second requirement, but we'll see about the first. From the gameplay video they released it looked kinda easy and not very dark. I hope the AI is better on higher difficulty settings and they add some good scares. It should have both fast-paced action parts where you slaughter hordes of demons and darker slower moments that keep you on your toes.

Reply 47 of 56, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Exactly. Of course new Doom won't be like old Doom. If you want to play old Doom, play old Doom.

If anyone does want to play the old Doom, then they can do so, true. They can extend the playing time by years, if they wish, by playing through the countless wads and level packs that fans have made in the past twenty-plus years.

But if people just wanted to play the original Doom, then they wouldn't spend money on a new game. Those of us who are interested in a new Doom game want a game that builds upon what is so good in Doom, and we're less than pleased that the new game, like Doom 3, seems to miss out on what was so great about the original.

I for one am excited to see what the Doom 4 turns out like. The cutscene kills and what have you can be turned off from what I've read, so the only gripe I have with it has been solved.

I can't see why people are judging this book by its cover. Nobody has even played it yet.

We're not pre-judging the game, no one is saying "I will NOT buy the game when it comes out, based on what I see now". We're just commenting on what we've seen so far, and what we've seen isn't what many people want from a Doom game.

Mind you, at least we know that there's a Doom game being made. Unlike Half-Life 3, which Valve still won't confirm or deny, despite the millions of fans desperate for information.

Reply 48 of 56, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
"This video mirrors my personal opinions and tastes, therefore is objectively correct." […]
Show full quote
Iris030380 wrote:

This about sums it up ....

"This video mirrors my personal opinions and tastes, therefore is objectively correct."

Please.

Haven't seen the video, just going to say I have nothing against the new but this Doom reboot seems awful in every way.

The only reason I have any interest in it is because of the Doom name. Nothing they've shown looks like a good game. Under any other name I wouldn't even notice this game.

Reply 49 of 56, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:

Those of us who are interested in a new Doom game want a game that builds upon what is so good in Doom, and we're less than pleased that the new game, like Doom 3, seems to miss out on what was so great about the original.

The catch is that nobody knows how to build something better upon old Dooms. Almost everything has been tried by now already. No game will look good in comparison with Doom + 20 years of free goodies by the community. New games have to be different.

Reply 50 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

However, twitch FPS games have been successfully created in the interim. This new Doom game is horribly slow paced.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 51 of 56, by Lo Wang

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Everything about this new Doom's looking very generic, and that's the biggest problem. Doom had an endless variety of cool looking textures and sounds meet for any type of map you can think of (without them the game would have died long ago), and even the enemies themselves had very distinctive appearances that added greatly to the character of the game (tomatoey caco, what happened to you?)

The level design in the original was fresh and wacky and looked nothing like any place you could find in real life. Contrast that with anything Doom4's trying to push: B.O.R.I.N.G

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved" - Romans 10:9

Reply 52 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lo Wang wrote:

Everything about this new Doom's looking very generic, and that's the biggest problem. Doom had an endless variety of cool looking textures and sounds meet for any type of map you can think of (without them the game would have died long ago), and even the enemies themselves had very distinctive appearances that added greatly to the character of the game (tomatoey caco, what happened to you?)

The level design in the original was fresh and wacky and looked nothing like any place you could find in real life. Contrast that with anything Doom4's trying to push: B.O.R.I.N.G

Don't forget the pace. The crazy, frenetic speed of the game.

Reply 54 of 56, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quake 2 itself is not really impressive either... Maybe back in 1997 it felt this way because of the technology, I dunno.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 55 of 56, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake 3 was fun enough in multiplayer, but it didn't stand out as much compared to UT and TFC. Doom and Quake were unparalleled when they first came out.

Reply 56 of 56, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Don't forget the pace. The crazy, frenetic speed of the game.

The only speed I would call crazy is that of player movement. Big games nowadays spend lot of resources into creating graphically detailed environments and make sure player will see it and not just run by. I also miss numerous bodies on the floor. Similarly monster count got low because of their detail, and their bodies have to disappear or frame rate will be unpredictable. Focus groups are made up of teenage boys looking for 'real' violence. Risks of first person shooters are too high for AAA production, remake true to original is impossible. Indie scene may do some fine conversions, but I have to find one that won't be one time event. I got very content with having only old Dooms, and few gigs of maps and mods. So far the fun does not end. And the new one does not have to be same to be good game.