Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, I'm thinking on getting the following computer:

IBM 300GL 200mhz mmx CPU

24246958833_f2313b4585_b.jpg

Aesthetically I like the case a lot. My aim is to play DOS games up to 1995-6. so I'm thinking on changing the CPU to a regular Pentium 133mhz so disabling cache can slow down computer to 386, 486.
I want to stick a Sound Blaster 16 CT2330 inside and use Philip's MIDI guide to emulate Mt-32 and Sound Canvas via another computer. I want a mixture of pragmatism, not spending much money but at the same time not
having to use DOSBox or Scummvm.

I also like the idea of an horizontal AT Case, never had one before.
I can get it for 25 euros, which I think is an ok price.

So, Hardwarewise, do you guys think this could be a good option for a Dos machine period 1991-1995?

I've been looking to other options, but that was my fist choice:

Pentium 166, the guys is asking 30 euros as well

24781752171_6074b052af_o.jpg

Pentium 133, the guy is asking 50 euros just for the tower, a bit steep.

24247545994_e89c351b71_b.jpg

Reply 1 of 28, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure that IBM is not a Pentium II? It should according to this:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … 5874#post305874

I've spotted another one here in Granada, something like 'crappy and stingy minitower jewel for collectors' for 5€, no display and turbo tough. It's a pentium 200 mmx.
By the way 'Got a lot of good things on sale stranger'. 🤣

Last edited by dondiego on 2016-02-07, 19:43. Edited 2 times in total.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 2 of 28, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Diego! Yes, this one in particular is 200MMX if you look carefully it is a different model from the one you posted.
Have we met? What a small world hahahaha....

Best regards Diego!

Reply 4 of 28, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just beware - I have a Compaq that does not have jumpers for CPUs without split-rail voltage (like the Pentium Classic), and if the IBM is like that you might not be able to downgrade it.

Reply 5 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:

My aim is to play DOS games up to 1995-6. so I'm thinking on changing the CPU to a regular Pentium 133mhz so disabling cache can slow down computer to 386, 486.

Are you sure Pentium 133 is fast enough to play hi-res, non-accelerated 3D games which are typical of 1995-1996 era? I playing Novalogic F-22 Lightning II on Pentium 133, and it was still choppy as hell. Also, Jane's ATF needed Pentium 166 for smooth gameplay in 640x480 resolution, and it wasn't still max quality setting. If 1995-1996 era is your goal, better stick to Pentium 233 MMX.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 28, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alexanrs: Thanks for the tip. That's just what I was looking for...Ï much prefer OEM systems because of compatibility issues. I remember having a 90's Packard Bell (don't remember which one) and it was a nightmare! I should check what you mentioned.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman: In reality I was thinking of Duke Nukem 3D as TOPS era type of games. I'm really much more into Graphic Adventures as Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle....etc....I know these can be played on a 486, but Socket 7 motherboards are cheaper and easier to work with.

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2016-02-07, 19:48. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 7 of 28, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Pingaloka wrote:

My aim is to play DOS games up to 1995-6. so I'm thinking on changing the CPU to a regular Pentium 133mhz so disabling cache can slow down computer to 386, 486.

Are you sure Pentium 133 is fast enough to play hi-res, non-accelerated 3D games which are typical of 1995-1996 era? I playing Novalogic F-22 Lightning II on Pentium 133, and it was still choppy as hell. Also, Jane's ATF needed Pentium 166 for smooth gameplay in 640x480 resolution, and it wasn't still max quality setting. If 1995-1996 era is your goal, better stick to Pentium 233 MMX.

Actually, the video card will be a HUGE factor here, as my P120 had a Cirrus Logic card in it with 1 MB of video ram and despite how old the card was I had pretty smooth gameplay with games such as MechWarrior 2, ATF, Grand Theft Auto, and even Carmageddon. Not perfect framerates mind you, but very playable... once I installed UniVBE and got VESA 2.0 working at least. ;)

Even before hardware accelerated graphics, the video card could make quite a difference, as did having VESA 2.0 support or not, and even if you didn't have VESA 2.0 support built-in, things like UniVBE made it possible to get it going on older cards. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 8 of 28, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still think that ibm is not a pentium, to be sure we'd need to know the model number(machine type).
@Pingaloka I guess you mean you prefer clones...

Pingaloka wrote:

Do you also collect retro stuff?

Sure, i've got several pentium, k6-2 and even a couple of 486s. I sold another one recently and two pentiums. Also i'm an old school computer technician. I'll send you an email later.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 9 of 28, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dondiego wrote:

I still think that ibm is not a pentium, to be sure we'd need to know the model number(machine type).

If IBM is like Compaq, it could very well be.
The Compaq Deskpro 2000 I have had four variants (counting only desktops, as each had a mid tower counterpart):

• Intel VX-based Pentium Classic board with 72-pin EDO SIMM slots and integrated Cirrus Logic graphics chip
  • Pentium Pro board (don't know the chipset) with 72-pin EDO SIMM slots and no integrated graphics
  • VIA VP2/97-based Pentium MMX board with SDRAM DIMM slots and integrated S3 Trio64 V2/DX (the one I have - mine is a Deskpro 2000 5200MMX specifically)
  • Pentium II board (don't know the chipset) with SDRAM DIMM slots and integrated Matrox graphics chip

All of them used the exact same case, with the appropriate Intel sticker on the front.

Reply 10 of 28, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If pragmatism is a driver then I'd simply grab yourself a PIII with at least one ISA slot. They're still easy to find, cheap (often free), and can run even the most demanding SVGA DOS games. They might be too fast for some games but any machine that can run '95 era DOS stuff will be in the same boat.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 11 of 28, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a spec list for withdrawn IBM desktops, which should include the desktop you've listed:

http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/dwbook.pdf

You'll be able to look up the original specs of the machine using its machine type and model type e.g. 6282-75U etc. Couldn't make out the number from the pic you posted 😀

Also pretty sure that the motherboard isn't AT/Baby-AT compatible, it will likely be NLX, with a PCI (and maybe ISA) riser card, so swapping the motherboard is not so easy. If you want to swap parts around one day, the towers will be a better choice.

Re processors, from reading service manual on this machine's older, bigger brother, the PC 350, the MMX version of the motherboard should actually be able to run lower spec Pentiums, but the non-MMX versions of the motherboard will require an Overdrive processor to upgrade to MMX processors.

Reply 12 of 28, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pingaloka wrote:

this one in particular is 200MMX if you look carefully it is a different model from the one you posted.

True, it's a pentium mmx, i've checked the specs list and it's machine type 6282. JidaGeki has been faster however. It's similar to this one: http://mastodonpc.tripod.com/personal/6282-830.html
However seller says untested and that usually means not working.

RUDE (Doom)

Reply 13 of 28, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Are you sure Pentium 133 is fast enough to play hi-res, non-accelerated 3D games which are typical of 1995-1996 era?

P200 may to be not too fast for SVGA DOS game also. In 1996 there were games like Quake, for example. If 3D SVGA is important I'd look for PII 300, at least.

Pingaloka wrote:

Day of the Tentacle....etc....

check the compatibility with CPUs
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_C … sensitive_games

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 14 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pingaloka wrote:
Pentium 166, the guys is asking 30 euros as well […]
Show full quote

Pentium 166, the guys is asking 30 euros as well

24781752171_6074b052af_o.jpg

Get this one! 😁

It's got a LED display too 😁

If you want a DOS rig with some flexibility then forget about that IBM as IBM + flexibility == does_not_compute 🤣. If something in that IBM breaks, it will be much more painful to get it up and running again. Even IBM's floppy drives often had different pinouts, one can't just swap out hardware if some of its partnumbers include "IBM" 😜

Price is nice also, that case alone is worth it. And even if the mobo turns out to be dead, Socket 7 AT mobos are very easy to find and even more common than any ATX s7 stuff.

That AT case even has a 1?? LED display, it's not very yellowed, its front looks undamaged, to me this would be the easy choice and it's got a pushbutton instead of a flip switch and even while I think flip switches have an increased coolness-factor, the pushbutton ones are easy to mod to use an ATX PSU 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 28, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No? You dont think any of them is worth it? What should I do?? Hahahaha.....I'm not in a hurry actually. When I see something is worth it, a bargain, or a case I really like I'll buy it! 😀

Reply 18 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dondiego wrote:

Don't buy any of them. 😉

Well, he can't buy any from you as trading is prohibited on Vogons and for good reasons (stuff with someone paying for stuff and never receiving anything, it happened a few times, not so great). Use amibay instead.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 28, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well actually i'm not selling anything in this thread and was kidding a little, we live in the same city and could talk and see what happens. 😎

RUDE (Doom)