VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by yacht

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm wondering, because I'm a total nostalgia pleb for stuff like that. I'm in the process of making a sleeper build. I kind of want to have a 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drive along with a beige RW drive while running Syndicate at 1500FPS (If you're wondering how I'm going to pull that off I'm just going to have Win7 as my OS (due to SECDRV games not able to run on Win10) and run games like SS1 and Syndicate in a virtual machine).

I also want to play more modern games at high settings (I'd be playing mostly older games if I didn't have friends 🤣). This is how much of a pleb I am.

So yeah. If you find a beige case that's ATX and 500 or more watts please post it or a link to it here.

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATX power supplies are easily replaceable, and there's been beige ATX cases since the 90's, so go for it. You don't have to get a case that includes one, and if you do happen to get an appropriate retro beige ATX case with one, it's bound to blow pretty soon anyway.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Besides, even if you DO find a beige case that comes with a 500W PSU, it is probably an Athlon XP-era one, with aged components and unbalanced (for today's computers) power distribution. Get the case, put a new (and good) PSU in it and be happy. Just beware the cooling - most beige cases have subpar cooling, so be sure to pick up extra fans and populate all empty places.

Reply 3 of 3, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure about availability of a very modern motherboard with floppy support. And I'm pretty sure if you can find one, it most probably will be supporting only a single floppy, an 3.5" one.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000