Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 2072, by Sedrosken

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I'm on a GTX 660 and I'm also considering the 480 😀

I think that AMD press event was an absolute disaster, but the card should be good. Still want to see what the 1060 will be like.

I for one want to see what a 1050Ti can do, when it comes out. Although to be honest there's nothing that I want that my integrated graphics can't do. I don't fuss over running games at ultra, I just want them to work at a decent framerate. GTA 5 runs alright on my T450's HD 4400 at 800x600 lowest settings. That might sound bad but I'm happy with it. The T450 has eaten up almost my entire computer budget for the next few years with the upgrades I gave it (an extended battery and drives, I actually got the machine itself for high school graduation). I figure it'll come in handy with me going to college this fall.

Nanto: H61H2-AM3, 4GB, GTS250 1GB, SB0730, 512GB SSD, XP USP4
Rithwic: EP-61BXM-A, Celeron 300A@450, 768MB, GF2MX400/V2, YMF744, 128GB SD2IDE, 98SE (Kex)
Cragstone: Alaris Cougar, 486BL2-66, 16MB, GD5428 VLB, CT2800, 16GB SD2IDE, 95CNOIE

Reply 181 of 2072, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty set on AMD at this point. The fact that they are in all the consoles is really the deciding factor for me. The closer they start optimising to the metal, I think the better the experience for AMD PC users.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 183 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iris030380 wrote:
I've been following Polaris closely for a while. After the ridiculous paper launch of the *magical* 61 degrees, 2700Mhz+ GTX1080 […]
Show full quote

I've been following Polaris closely for a while. After the ridiculous paper launch of the *magical* 61 degrees, 2700Mhz+ GTX1080 and the subsequent beating of the reality club, I figured the 1070 was the better card of the semi-DX12 capable Pascal series. Still I wanted to see more before I took the plunge. Then AMD told us exactly what I wanted to hear. A card around 390/970 performance (but better in DX12 situations), with a 4GB and 8GB version, and a lot less power requirements than the 970 even ... for $200. Although I would expect after taxes of ROB (rip-off Britain) I'll probably be able to pick them up for £170 each (around $240-$250). Still an amazing deal.

SO I called my friend who was struggling to play Doom on low settings with 20-25fps on his GTX570 and offered him my GTX980 for £250 (they currently sit around £360 new and £300 on eBay here in England). It's a Palit Jetstream model with pretty awesome factory overclocks and a tacky silver / gold cooler which I never liked. He took it. Now I'm using a backup X1950XTX (WOOOOOO!) for the next few weeks before dual R9 480's get slapped into my PC. That's gonna be around GTX1080 performance (lower in DX11 / higher in DX12) for £340, compared to Nvidias moron friendly £622 for their GTX1080. Which runs at 81 degrees and throttles itself back to stock clocks after 2 minutes of gaming.

Probably don't need 2 480's for a 1920x1200 screen but they can't hurt. I've never gone with top end before. I usually always go mid range. But at this price it's not a thing at all.

No, thankyou Nvidia.

Still I'm sure Civilization 6 isn't gonna require that kind of power. Even at 4K (considering 30fps is fine for Civ games, you would probably run it in 4K with anything R9 290 / GTX970 and upwards). It's the CPU that comes into play in Civ games with end-game turn times and whatnot. And VR isn't my thing either. Just excited about knowing I can play anything, at any settings ... for a long time. And happy my friend can play Doom without taking a tea break in between frame updates.

Just so you know, there's a MSI Gaming X 8G GTX 1080 coming up very soon that will sell for the same price as the founders edition, ship with a +350 mhz overclock, and a cooler that both doesn't throttle, and runs max 55c under gaming load.

It's only the founders edition 1080's that are shite, the aftermarket ones are fantastic.

Personally I'm waiting on the GTX 1060 and consider buying one. I'll stick to nvidia myself. CUDA (Fastest transcoding for video editing), physx, and better 3rd party tweak utilities.

I know it's all subjective, but it's what I want, so.. I waits.

That or a friend of mine keeps saying he'll send me a pair of his super-clocked golden GTX 970's free later this year. Dunno if/when that'll happen... probably never, and probably look towards a 1060 for myself soon. Hopefully they come with 6 or 8 GB of ram.

Reply 184 of 2072, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

This guy basically confirmed my worst fears; wait for the 490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5wYVu-tM8

Its still the best card in the $200 range, with Nvidia only having the gtx 960 at this price.

However I will still be waiting for the 490 or even Vega gpus later this year,

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 185 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus A88XM-Plus
FM2+ board, should support everything starting with Trinity and up to Excavator (Athlon X4 845).
fm2ebbfp.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 189 of 2072, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
havli wrote:
Asus A88XM-Plus FM2+ board, should support everything starting with Trinity and up to Excavator (Athlon X4 845). http://abload. […]
Show full quote

Asus A88XM-Plus
FM2+ board, should support everything starting with Trinity and up to Excavator (Athlon X4 845).
fm2ebbfp.jpg

Nice, a modern motherboard with a P4-era cooler 🤣 .

Reply 190 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

This guy basically confirmed my worst fears; wait for the 490

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5wYVu-tM8

Good things go to those who wait, I really do need to get a decent card for my xeon e5 rig instead of buying so much retro :s
I don't have any great expectations of amd and nivida until they get their cards out to retail, just hope that none of them got any nasty vrm surprises after a year or two of daily use.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 191 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:

Nice, a modern motherboard with a P4-era cooler 🤣 .

Yeah, this Zalman is great for quick testing, fits any IHS-equipped CPU... also no need for retention mechanism - it is heavy enough to just stay in place where I put it. 😎 The only downside is cooling performance, everything over 100W TDP is too much to run cool enough without throttling.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 192 of 2072, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved this thread to Milliways. I feel it fits better than Marvin which is for discussion about old PC hardware and Retro PCs.

Bought one of these sunflower type coolers. I like these coolers than blow air down, will review it and see if it lives up to the 100 W raring. A similar product from Deep Cool wasn't quite able to keep temperatures in check.

It's a ID-COOLING Denmark Series DK-03.

DK03-1%20%282%29.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 193 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Moved this thread to Milliways. I feel it fits better than Marvin which is for discussion about old PC hardware and Retro PCs.

Thank you. I honestly wasn't quite sure where to post it in the forums. So.. thanks for finding us a proper place for it.

Reply 194 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191874908411?_trksid= … K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT picked up this bundle for $130. Not cheap, but figured for the $60 cost of a bare Phenom ii 965 I may as well pick up a board, HSF and ram as well. Phenom is going in my sister's pc and I am going to pop my old Athlon iix2 250 in the Asus for a spare/backup PC.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 195 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Short story time, then on to my recent modern hardware buy.

So about.. gosh, 4 years ago now, I spent (at the time) a lot of money buying an expensive ram set for my x58 system. I had a good job at the time and I wanted the best. So I read some reviews and the ram I had selected got good reviews but.. later proved to be the worst purchase in my life of computing.

What I bought: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Ridgeback DDR3-2400 set, 6 x 4GB.

I had them with my old i7-920 + x58 system for a while. And they indeed clocked up to about 1700 Mhz, which was the extreme upper limits of the early i7 chip's memory controller. So then later I upgraded to a later-revision i7-980x chip in that system.. and the newer improved memory controller let it get up to 2400 mhz Triple channel ram. Which was nice.. but I had to phone mushkin support for help getting it to 2400. A CSR there told me to set it to 1.9v to do it. I was dubious.. but he assured me it would be fine.

10 months later.. woke up one day to BSOD, then the dreaded "burning electronics smell". Fearing fire.. shut off my system. Got inside.. sniffing here, sniffing there for the source. Finally removed the ram and smelled it and it rinked of burnt-electronics smell. Guess that tech was stupid. Sent all 6 sticks back for RMA, got replacement set. And when I put em back in, found out that it had also burnt out 2 of the ram slots on that motherboard.. which now only works with 4 instead of 6, reducing it to dual channel. I also ran it under-clocked at 1800 mhz @ 1.65v for the remainder of owning that system.

I continued using it like that for a long time, all the way out until I replaced that entire system with my new-to-me Asus P67 Sabertooth + I7-3770k system just 4 months ago from today. I had no indication anything was wrong so brought my mushkin ram set forward to the new system and after about a month of tweaking the new system.. I got it up to 2280 Mhz stable, running it at just 1.65v. The limits of the Ivy Bridge ram controller I'm guessing, possibly.

That worked fine for 2 and a half months... Daily, no problems. Ran CPU water cooled @ 4.8 ghz & Ram @ ddr3-2280, everything was happy, fast and awesome. Then about.. 9 days ago, a BSOD when playing games on this system one day, 0x0000007D error.. which I know is RAM. Ran it through memtest86+, 2 hours later.. came up clean no errors. I shrugged it off kept playing.. few days later, another BSOD. Same error.. another memtest scan.. still clean.. kept going. Then 3 days ago from today I woke up one day, flipped the switch and the system "Came on and ran" as in all the fans were on and spinning. It ran about.. 20 seconds then *poof* off, then came on again and would sit there "running" fans on and drives running but never showed video.

Diagnostic time.. removed all ram sticks to 1 stick, worked fine and happy. Passed benchmarks, some games, everything fine. Tried adding a second stick.. BSOD's again. But one stick for me was just 4GB, I can't do much with that. So I started testing the sticks individually.. all passed memtest86 one by one.. couldn't get any of em to pass in dual channel mode though, red errors. So I started dropping the ram speed back from 2280 and re-testing and finally found out this mushkin ram only works stable (now) at 1333 Mhz. And only with 2 sticks of ram installed. It fails to POST at all with 4 installed, and crashes and locks up and BSOD's with 3 installed, even at 1333 Mhz... but just two runs fine.

So like 2 years ago.. this mushkin ram has yet again, degraded it's self over time and no longer will work at it's rated speed of 2400 mhz. I could RMA it but don't know if I want to bother anymore. They're just going to send me back another set of shit mushkin ram that will die in 2 years. I might just forget it and consider tossing it in the trash and consider it "lesson learned" and avoid mushkin in the future.

Well anyway, knowing this ram has already degraded it's self down from 2200 down to just 1333 mhz.. and expecting at this rate more than likely it will just fail outright any day now, I went ahead and blew all my money I had saved up and bought something I should of bought in the first place, this:
487941tUZwv_bHL.jpg.jpg

Kingston "SAVAGE" DDR3-2400 16GB set, 2 x 8GB. The first half of the limit of my motherboard.. a second set of this later would max it out. Brand new for $77 free shipping. My my how ddr3 prices have really hit rock bottom today! Kingston ram always has had a big reputation for working at it's rated speed (And usually even overclock past it a little bit). So I'm hopeful this kingston set will be a great fit for my high performance system. If it works out well I may consider buying a second set sooner rather than later and just max it out.

I don't know just yet if my 3770k actually can do 2400 mhz ram, or only 2280. I won't know until this ram gets here. There's a possibility that the Mushkin ram was already degraded from the 1.5 years use in my x58 980x system and it may have been the ram actually being bad that was keeping it from hitting 2400.

Time will tell.. looks like I have another month of tweaking and tuning my newest system this coming week to figure out how the new ram works.

EDIT: Just tried to turn it on now and my 3770k machine won't even come on and POST with this mushkin ram.. I even tried a cmos reset so everything was 100% bone-stock.. nada. Not even with 1 stick of ram in it. So.. joy. This machine's dead in the water now until new ram comes. 🙁 Guess this mushkin ram is totally dead finally.

Reply 196 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
Short story time, then on to my recent modern hardware buy. […]
Show full quote

Short story time, then on to my recent modern hardware buy.

So about.. gosh, 4 years ago now, I spent (at the time) a lot of money buying an expensive ram set for my x58 system. I had a good job at the time and I wanted the best. So I read some reviews and the ram I had selected got good reviews but.. later proved to be the worst purchase in my life of computing.

What I bought: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Ridgeback DDR3-2400 set, 6 x 4GB.

I had them with my old i7-920 + x58 system for a while. And they indeed clocked up to about 1700 Mhz, which was the extreme upper limits of the early i7 chip's memory controller. So then later I upgraded to a later-revision i7-980x chip in that system.. and the newer improved memory controller let it get up to 2400 mhz Triple channel ram. Which was nice.. but I had to phone mushkin support for help getting it to 2400. A CSR there told me to set it to 1.9v to do it. I was dubious.. but he assured me it would be fine.

10 months later.. woke up one day to BSOD, then the dreaded "burning electronics smell". Fearing fire.. shut off my system. Got inside.. sniffing here, sniffing there for the source. Finally removed the ram and smelled it and it rinked of burnt-electronics smell. Guess that tech was stupid. Sent all 6 sticks back for RMA, got replacement set. And when I put em back in, found out that it had also burnt out 2 of the ram slots on that motherboard.. which now only works with 4 instead of 6, reducing it to dual channel. I also ran it under-clocked at 1800 mhz @ 1.65v for the remainder of owning that system.

I continued using it like that for a long time, all the way out until I replaced that entire system with my new-to-me Asus P67 Sabertooth + I7-3770k system just 4 months ago from today. I had no indication anything was wrong so brought my mushkin ram set forward to the new system and after about a month of tweaking the new system.. I got it up to 2280 Mhz stable, running it at just 1.65v. The limits of the Ivy Bridge ram controller I'm guessing, possibly.

That worked fine for 2 and a half months... Daily, no problems. Ran CPU water cooled @ 4.8 ghz & Ram @ ddr3-2280, everything was happy, fast and awesome. Then about.. 9 days ago, a BSOD when playing games on this system one day, 0x0000007D error.. which I know is RAM. Ran it through memtest86+, 2 hours later.. came up clean no errors. I shrugged it off kept playing.. few days later, another BSOD. Same error.. another memtest scan.. still clean.. kept going. Then 3 days ago from today I woke up one day, flipped the switch and the system "Came on and ran" as in all the fans were on and spinning. It ran about.. 20 seconds then *poof* off, then came on again and would sit there "running" fans on and drives running but never showed video.

Diagnostic time.. removed all ram sticks to 1 stick, worked fine and happy. Passed benchmarks, some games, everything fine. Tried adding a second stick.. BSOD's again. But one stick for me was just 4GB, I can't do much with that. So I started testing the sticks individually.. all passed memtest86 one by one.. couldn't get any of em to pass in dual channel mode though, red errors. So I started dropping the ram speed back from 2280 and re-testing and finally found out this mushkin ram only works stable (now) at 1333 Mhz. And only with 2 sticks of ram installed. It fails to POST at all with 4 installed, and crashes and locks up and BSOD's with 3 installed, even at 1333 Mhz... but just two runs fine.

So like 2 years ago.. this mushkin ram has yet again, degraded it's self over time and no longer will work at it's rated speed of 2400 mhz. I could RMA it but don't know if I want to bother anymore. They're just going to send me back another set of shit mushkin ram that will die in 2 years. I might just forget it and consider tossing it in the trash and consider it "lesson learned" and avoid mushkin in the future.

Well anyway, knowing this ram has already degraded it's self down from 2200 down to just 1333 mhz.. and expecting at this rate more than likely it will just fail outright any day now, I went ahead and blew all my money I had saved up and bought something I should of bought in the first place, this:
487941tUZwv_bHL.jpg.jpg

Kingston "SAVAGE" DDR3-2400 16GB set, 2 x 8GB. The first half of the limit of my motherboard.. a second set of this later would max it out. Brand new for $77 free shipping. My my how ddr3 prices have really hit rock bottom today! Kingston ram always has had a big reputation for working at it's rated speed (And usually even overclock past it a little bit). So I'm hopeful this kingston set will be a great fit for my high performance system. If it works out well I may consider buying a second set sooner rather than later and just max it out.

I don't know just yet if my 3770k actually can do 2400 mhz ram, or only 2280. I won't know until this ram gets here. There's a possibility that the Mushkin ram was already degraded from the 1.5 years use in my x58 980x system and it may have been the ram actually being bad that was keeping it from hitting 2400.

Time will tell.. looks like I have another month of tweaking and tuning my newest system this coming week to figure out how the new ram works.

EDIT: Just tried to turn it on now and my 3770k machine won't even come on and POST with this mushkin ram.. I even tried a cmos reset so everything was 100% bone-stock.. nada. Not even with 1 stick of ram in it. So.. joy. This machine's dead in the water now until new ram comes. 🙁 Guess this mushkin ram is totally dead finally.

This is why I get paranoid about heat and always check and double check everything for excess heat as heat can be expensive when things get bricked. 😵
I have in the past would find ways to mount a 80mm fan near the ram just to keep things cool but now days I often neglect to clock things up enough for to get hot. Good luck getting your rig up and running again.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 197 of 2072, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've just won this nice FM1 motherboard in eBay for 19€ including shipping; it uses the "high-end" chipset with SATA 3 and USB 3, it's more modern than my heavy duty computer 🤣 (vendor's image, I still have no received it)

$_57.GIF
Filename
$_57.GIF
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also bought an A6 3620 for 26€ from a well known korean vendor and, together with a nice kit of high speed memory I already have, I have the basis of a nice HTPC for 45€... not bad 🤣

g.skill-flare-dual.jpg
Filename
g.skill-flare-dual.jpg
File size
328.05 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 198 of 2072, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few days ago I managed to snatch this pretty little thing : LINK
😀

Other than that I got GoddRAM Iridium Pro for my normal rig (switching from Intel 520 180GB which goes to my sisters PC).
For syntetic test results (done on SATA2 board - intel P35 chipset) : LINK
300PLN (zloty), in USD it's 1/4 (so ~75$).

157143230295.png