Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 2072, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought an i7 3770k a few days ago. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures but I'll post a screen:

i7.png
Filename
i7.png
File size
278.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also bought an ASrock Z77 Pro4-m (see pics above), and "inherited" my sister's Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

Payed ~55 euro for the Pro4-M and ~160$ for the 3770k. It does 4.6GHz @ 1.3something volts, but it gets pretty hot with my cheap AIW water cooler so I settled on 4GHz.

Reply 121 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:
Bought an i7 3770k a few days ago. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures but I'll post a screen: […]
Show full quote

Bought an i7 3770k a few days ago. Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures but I'll post a screen:

*snip*

I also bought an ASrock Z77 Pro4-m (see pics above), and "inherited" my sister's Z68 Extreme3 Gen3.

Payed ~55 euro for the Pro4-M and ~160$ for the 3770k. It does 4.6GHz @ 1.3something volts, but it gets pretty hot with my cheap AIW water cooler so I settled on 4GHz.

These chips just run hot in general, just so you know. This has been well-documented in the overclocking community.. part of why I want to de-lid mine some day and replace intel's crappy thermal paste under the heat spreader with something metallic.

My 3770k runs 4.8 ghz at I think 1.47v, and even with a custom water loop, custom-water highest performance water block we have today, I still have average temps around 70c - 75c - 79c gaming, and if I load it up with benchmarks or crunch 100% at something it'll creep in to the low 90's c. Kinda sad but whatever. Dealing with it for now until I can afford a vise to delid it some day.

Reply 122 of 2072, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Had no ideea these things run so hot. Mine hits 80C at 4.3Ghz and 91C at 4.6. I didn't take it any higher then that. And there's no way I'd go for custom water cooling since it's so bloody expensive. Frankly I don't even think I could fit a proper loop in my micro - atx case:

3sfQRvNl.jpg

gx6qVgIl.jpg
^(same case different innards)^

My old 2500K won't go over 65C at 4.2Ghz and performs quite similarly (~6300 pts in fpuVP8 @ 4.2GHz vs ~6670pts for the 3770k at 4GHz). I have to take it to 5GHz for it to reach 85C but it requires a lot of juice (1.46v) so I only tried it a couple of times.

Right now I'm kind of thinking of switching to Skylake just to solve the heat problem, but I'm not a fan of the skylake architecture - it REALLY weird to overclock. Hanswell runs hotter then Ivy bridge so that's not worth the switch... My sister's new i5 6600k won't go over 60C @ 4.2Ghz and scores on par with my 3770k @ 4GHz in both Fire Strike and fpuVP8.

I could trade this stuff in for an LGA 1151 kit + a little change, but I'll have to buy the MB new since it will have to be an Asrock Z170M Extreme 4 - it's the only mATX board I could find that supports both CF and SLi, is mATX and won't cost me an arm and a leg. In fact it's half the price of the nearest similar board - an asus maximus gene. The CPU (6700k) I can get second hand for about 270 euro. Mainboard is 110 euro new - and that leaves the DDR4. A nice 8gb dual channel kit of Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 CL14 is 56 euro. Overall the upgrade would cost about 150-200 euro and in hindsight I'm not sure it's worth it - just for the better thermals and 10-15% performance increase...

Speaking of Skylake here's what I built for my little sis:

WyhVjOol.jpg

co95ejtl.jpg

tnFcs6rl.jpg

VcCtp4nl.jpg

4L1LBoxl.jpg

bclQRIRl.jpg

i5 6600k @ 4.2Ghz (goes up to 4.8 easily)
MSI Z170 KRAIT GAMING - this thing is a gorgeous piece of kit, even better looking in the dark! It has tons of little blinking / breathing white lights near the PCI-E slots, ram slots, CPU socket - it's awesome (they can be disabled in BIOS).
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz CL14
Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1
NZXT Source 340 black /w window

Here's what she can do with two GTX 970's :

CwrR0Izl.jpg

oKYOrOVl.jpg

My 3770k microATX setup isn't too shabby either. It does 11200p in fire strike with the CPU at 4.2GHz and a 100MHz overclock on the video card's core.

Reply 123 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a 120gb PNY SSD, a goofy card, and a 22oz Corona for my Step-father's 50th birthday today. The SSD will go in his Sandybridge i5 Dell XPS.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 124 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just so you know, next year Microsoft is forcing everyone on skylake in to windows 10, even they're currently today on windows 7. It's already been announced microsoft will de-activate their win7 installs and not let them use their machines unless they upgrade it to win10. Also microsoft is pushing to try and make motherboard vendors remove all windows 7/8/8.1 drivers from their sites for all systems as well, when the switch happens. Which is -highly- undesirable by most of the population. So a lot of folks are avoiding skylake and shooting for broadwell instead, which has better temps than skylake too, supposedly.

Reply 125 of 2072, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frankly I don't really mind windows 10. Sure, they changed the UI so much that common tasks and activities can be a pain in the ass to find but I'm sure I'd get used to it. Frankly, the only reason I'm not using win10 is because I don't have any DX12 games, and that's the only real reason to upgrade. As for win7 - I loved it compared to XP and vista, but win 8.1 is so much faster + I got a couple of free 8.1 x64 licenses from some microsoft program and installed the OS on my main rig w/o looking back. I'm using Stardock Start8 tough I f#(king hate that metro bull$hit.

Unfortunately win 10 seems a bit more bloated then win 8.1, but it doesn't feel slower then win7, witch is good. Another reason not to jump on installing it even tough it sometimes bugs me about switching to win10 even tough I disabled the notification in the action center.

As for broadwell - it's practically non-existent in the Romanian IT market - most retailers had a few chips for sale at one point but they were too expensive and almost never in stock as opposed to the skylake launch and current price / availability. Personally I'd like to afford a Hanswell-E LGA 2011-3 machine, but the CPUs are silly expensive, mATX boards are hard to find and equally expensive, and rather poorly laid out with the exception of the Asrock Fatal1ty series witch is never in stock.

I remember LGA 2001-3 stuff was really well priced at launch (300 to 350 euro for a 5820k depending on where you looked) but the price skyrocketed when DDR4 got fast and cheap. I could have bought a Hanswell-E CPU then - even a 5930k witch was about 450 euro - but I didn't have the $$$ for the rest of the system, didn't have a proper video card for such a fast machine and didn't really want to do the i7 920 thing again where I spent a boat load of money on a computer way too fast for my needs witch I'd then sell a year later for a fraction of the price all because I got bored.

Meh - I'll probably go for an LGA 2011-3 rig if I can get a bargain on a mATX motherboard at one point - and I insist on mATX because it's quite compact while still allowing for multi-GPU setups unlike mITX. ATX stuff just takes up too much room, and I sometimes haul my desktop around the house or even at my parent's place or a lan party or something.

I'm keeping the 3770k and 2500k for my collection tough. I have a feeling K series CPUs - especially i7 CPUs will be hard to find later on and I'd rather take the plunge now, when they're still modern and usefull then fork out 200-250 euro for a kit later (like some people are asking for i7 920 / xeon + X58 board combo's).

Reply 126 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Just so you know, next year Microsoft is forcing everyone on skylake in to windows 10, even they're currently today on windows 7. It's already been announced microsoft will de-activate their win7 installs and not let them use their machines unless they upgrade it to win10. Also microsoft is pushing to try and make motherboard vendors remove all windows 7/8/8.1 drivers from their sites for all systems as well, when the switch happens. Which is -highly- undesirable by most of the population. So a lot of folks are avoiding skylake and shooting for broadwell instead, which has better temps than skylake too, supposedly.

Any source to support this statement? It sounds like BS to me...
If Skylake works with win7 now, it will continue to do so until all boards or CPUs are dead 20 years from now. Noone can force me to upgrade if I don't want to.

Also remove drivers for older (possibly discontinued) HW, impossible.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 127 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
havli wrote:
Any source to support this statement? It sounds like BS to me... If Skylake works with win7 now, it will continue to do so unt […]
Show full quote
kithylin wrote:

Any source to support this statement? It sounds like BS to me...
If Skylake works with win7 now, it will continue to do so until all boards or CPUs are dead 20 years from now. Noone can force me to upgrade if I don't want to.

Also remove drivers for older (possibly discontinued) HW, impossible.

https://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=skyla … 494.h-jhkh4bX-8

Many large reputable companies have reported it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/skylake-support

The official Microsoft page outlining how official support for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users on Skylake computer systems ends on July 17, 2018. It doesn't say specifically, but all the other sites say Microsoft won't allow activation of windows 7/8.1 on skylake any more after that date.

Besides all of that, the next systems after skylake will not support windows 7 at all. As in can't install it, can't get drivers for it, can't activate it, can't use it. I think "Kirby Lake" is what I read, might be wrong.

EDIT: This is not a "new concept" by the way. Many intel Haswell-Based systems had drivers on their websites for Windows XP when it first came out, and Intel even had some chipset drivers for XP on it's download center. But now today, no one has any drivers for XP on haswell anymore. They were all removed, pulled, deleted. So today it looks like no one can use XP on it. or anything past it, even though we could at one point.

One example. Old version of a Jetway motherboard web page...

Old version: https://web.archive.org/web/20131106184701/ht … r.com/NF9J.html

Current version: http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/NF9J.html

All mention of XP support removed. This is what tends to happen when microsoft removes offical support for an OS: most everyone removes drivers for unsupported OS's. So when microsoft officially ends support for windows 7, expect a lot of websites to remove windows 7 drivers on their latest hardware.

Reply 128 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok then. No official support for win 7 on next-gen HW is no big deal imho, 8+ year old OS is simply too old for that kind of hardware. Just like trying to instal win2000 on Nehalem PC. Yes, it might work, but whats the point. I'm sure there will be a way to get it working... just like you can run XP on Skylake if you really want to http://hwbot.org/submission/3145020_dancop_su … min_25sec_734ms Maybe not official, but still a way.

As for the Haswell and XP thing - at some point when Haswell was still new (even before the devils canyon refresh) I was considering to build XP gaming system using Pentium G. And there was no XP support even then, at least for majority of board manufacturers. So I went for IB instead.

Drivers for the older OS - no new drivers for latest HW is quite natural approach, has been like this for years. I see little reason to waste resources to create drivers for discontinued OS. Just like there are no win 2K Drivers for Radeon HD series, the same will happen in the future with R9 500 and win7 maybe... I don't think they will remove existing win7 drivers, simply there will be no new version, but the last win7 compatible will stay in place. And if not, there are plenty of driver database-like websites which will keep it.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 129 of 2072, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need to buy this but the price is disgusting;

disgustingprice.png
Filename
disgustingprice.png
File size
352.21 KiB
Views
File comment
JVC AC-V10M extortionate prices!
File license

Daren't use a cheap one because I am scared of batteries and the original PSU cannot be repaired. Guess I could just run the thing from the jack on regular batteries, I did something similar to my old SD camera in its later videos simply to yield a very long battery life - 4 rechargeable AA batteries could run it for over 12 hours - so it may be time to do it again. I planned to replace the camera later this year anyway. The AC adapter usually gives 5VDC, so it should be easy to get at least close enough that the camera will run.

Edit: The entire camera, with charger and all, is barely £20 more than the damn charger. Definitely going to look at alternate solutions to this one. Bloody extortionate.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 130 of 2072, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814202173 bought one of these for a bday present for my sister today. Her Christmas present was a new EVGA 430watt psu to replace her Dell 300, next up she is going to buy a Phenom ii 965 and she should be able to play Fallout4 pretty well. Had a pair of 1gb sticks of DDR3 laying around to kick her up to 6gb so that should help as well.

I have an R7 250X, which is basically the same card. Not a bad little piece of kit. 😀

Reply 133 of 2072, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kithylin wrote:
Ohh, it's one of -those- cards.. :D […]
Show full quote

Ohh, it's one of -those- cards.. 😁

batman.jpg

Yep and also its 40nm,long and black. 😈
Found myself actually like reference cards and ATI/AMD especially.

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 134 of 2072, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I received this little oddity, an Asus IMISR-VM, it includes also CPU and cooler: it's a desktop motherboard wich uses laptop CPU, chipset and memory (most mobos like this use regular desktop DIMMs, instead of SO-DIMMs). In its day this type of motherboard enjoyed some popularity with the HTPC and micro server crowds because they are more silent and require less power than regular mobos (in fact, if you look at the power section you'll see it's tiny, with only two phases and small capacitor and coils), but I don't bought it for that, I bought it because I also bought at the same time a job lot of memory with A LOT of SO-DIMMs, and it's much faster and safer to use a mobo like that for testing than to use a laptop.

IMG_20160514_221802.jpg
Filename
IMG_20160514_221802.jpg
File size
925.44 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 135 of 2072, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Q : Is there a longer card than 5870 ?
A : Yes, there is : LINK

Bought it few days ago (upper one), funny "little" thing to have 😀
Name from label : 7900 GTX Duo, also known as 7900 GX2.
It's Nvidia's first attempt to put two GPU in one card.
It works like a charm, but has few "problems" which were solved by second iteration the 7950 GX2.

157143230295.png

Reply 136 of 2072, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Q : Is there a longer card than 5870 ? A : Yes, there is : LINK […]
Show full quote

Q : Is there a longer card than 5870 ?
A : Yes, there is : LINK

Bought it few days ago (upper one), funny "little" thing to have 😀
Name from label : 7900 GTX Duo, also known as 7900 GX2.
It's Nvidia's first attempt to put two GPU in one card.
It works like a charm, but has few "problems" which were solved by second iteration the 7950 GX2.

Nice little thing you get,congrats,im still searching for mine,btw there is one more thing longer than HD 5870 - HD 5970 🤣

Image_01.jpg

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 138 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of little things.. 😁 😁 I bought this recently.

Photo from the seller's listing on ebay, as I forgot to take a good photo myself before installing it. And now it's buried beneath the jigsaw-puzzle that is this system I've built and I can't photo it.

from-ebay.jpg

And here it is finished and where it sits on my desk. I call it my "Little Cube".

r_On-Desk-Finished.jpg

General specs:
Intel I3-2130, Sandy-Bridge core @ 3.4 ghz
8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Kingston HyperX
1 x Icy Dock 4-in-1 hotswap bay device.. puts hotswap sleds for 2.5" drives in a 5.25" bay

Currently.. had a 9800 GT in here but I've since swapped it for a GT-240 instead. The 9800GT just runs too fecking hot inside this little thing and it's fan screams if I watch a 1080p video on it.

I had to take it apart shortly after building it to re-connect some fan wires a different way so I made a little video about it.. I feel sort of embarrassed posting these things.. I don't appear infront of a camera very often.

Anyway, the focus is the computer thing, so if you care to take a little look, it's over here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lfY6mupRCk

Purpose of this machine is chatting + web-browsing + movie/video watching + maybe transcoding videos from my DSLR if I need to and my 3770k is unavailable for some reason.

I was using a i7-920 @ 4.4 ghz for this.. thing idled at about 450 watts, so the purpose of this build was power reduction. After building the entire thing, the whole little cube only uses 40-50 watts idle, 115-125 if I load it like with a small game or something. So yes.. power reduction: Project accomplished.

Reply 139 of 2072, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this baby today to replace the stock AMD cooler on my fx.

P_20160516_175451.jpg
Filename
P_20160516_175451.jpg
File size
3.28 MiB
Views
File license

Idle temps went from ~22C to ~12C, plus my PC no longer sounds like a jet engine 😎

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4