Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 220 of 2072, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

I have been debating whether I should get a 4K LED. It would only run @ 30HZ though. My W520 does not support 4K at 60HZ.

I'm currently running an LG UHD (not really "4K" which is 4096x2160!) IPS at 30Hz with a Haswell i3 (HD 4400 graphics) at 30Hz via HDMI (and it can't run both displays at the same time!). It's just a temporary solution -- the i3 4005U is def not a speed demon, further bottlenecked by a sllloooowwwww 5400rpm drive (SSD replacement incoming).

I can say that you'll immediately notice the flickering (though not as bad as even 60Hz on CRT I think), so unless you're going to get a graphics card (or a laptop) with DisplayPort 1.2+ soon, you probably better wait since prices are going down (new models are coming). What monitor are you considering?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 221 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:
New Nickel-Plated Copper water block for my new-to-me I7-3770k computer.http://www.outfoxed.net/i7-current/r_CPU-waterblock.jpg […]
Show full quote

New Nickel-Plated Copper water block for my new-to-me I7-3770k computer.r_CPU-waterblock.jpg

A bit off-topic, but where did you buy it from? I know you can get it from here http://www.performance-pcs.com/heatkillerr-iv … -copper-ni.html, but Is this is where you got it from? Is this is the exact one you have? I am also interested in building my first custom water cooled PC. I am not into overclocking though, I just want a cool system.

Reply 222 of 2072, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't laugh, bought a GT730 Graphics card (from my local buy/sell store) to replace the HD5670 - I don't do heavy games, but wanted to get onto something which wasn't stuck with legacy drivers - for just 15 quid, it's a decent performer.
It's actually the GT630 rev 2 version of the GT730, so while it is KEPLER, the 64 bit DDR3 memory channel holds it back - but still beats the 128 but DDR3 version of the 730 with the older FERMI core

Reply 223 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
kithylin wrote:

New Nickel-Plated Copper water block for my new-to-me I7-3770k computer.

A bit off-topic, but where did you buy it from? I know you can get it from here http://www.performance-pcs.com/heatkillerr-iv … -copper-ni.html, but Is this is where you got it from? Is this is the exact one you have? I am also interested in building my first custom water cooled PC. I am not into overclocking though, I just want a cool system.

Yes I got it from Performance PCS, they're awesome folks. Remember the code OCN55 @ check out for -5.5% off (only if the order is $50 or more) This one is always active 24-7-365.

And also check over here for any recent seasonal promo codes that may be more depending on your order size. http://www.overclock.net/t/1384175/performanc … -discount-code/

Reply 224 of 2072, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ordered a XL2730Z and a G402 Hyperion.
First updates to my main PC since forever (forever being bying the 290X on november 2013)
That'll replace a W2363D and a MX518 which probably is on its tenth birthday.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 226 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Yes I got it from Performance PCS, they're awesome folks. Remember the code OCN55 @ check out for -5.5% off (only if the order is $50 or more) This one is always active 24-7-365.

And also check over here for any recent seasonal promo codes that may be more depending on your order size. http://www.overclock.net/t/1384175/performanc … -discount-code/

Thank you. It seems that you already did your homework. What is the best liquid cooling pump to go with the water block? What are you plan on getting next? In other words, what other parts would you suggest to go with the water block? I really think that we need a separate topic on PC liquid cooling systems for retro and modern computers.

Reply 227 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Thank you. It seems that you already did your homework. What is the best liquid cooling pump to go with the water block? What are you plan on getting next? In other words, what other parts would you suggest to go with the water block? I really think that we need a separate topic on PC liquid cooling systems for retro and modern computers.

The only thing I'll comment on with water cooling is tubing. "Primochill Advanced LRT" the new kind with multiple colors that says it's UV reactive. Pricey stuff but I've used it in multiple water cooling builds, rebuilds, and re-rebuilds for different loops over the past 5 years now and it's never once leaked on me. And I punish it with worm-drive clamps and crush the heck out of it tightly on fittings all the time. It's so durable that when I re-build stuff I don't discard the tubing I just cut off the (crushed) ends and re-use it. Going on 4 years now no issues. And it's compatible with either clamp or compression fittings. Swifttech pumps are "Legendary" status now in the water cooling field, with over 10 years of solid reliability with no break downs and no leaks and no issues. Tubing choice will make or break a water system, and 99% of leaks come from crappy tubing. Mainly don't use the cheap stuff from the hardware store #1, never ever ever. Also do your research and try to contact the manufacturer to see if their tubing contains a plasticizer. If it does, DON'T USE IT. Plasticizers will ruin your loop and blocks and pumps. Primochill Advanced LRT is plasticizer free.. and generally most "Clear" tubing contains plasticizers, that's how they get it clear. So I go for a colored/tinted tubing instead. I don't care if I can see my fluid or not, I want it durable and no leaks.

One of my pumps I bought for a water system with an old Pentium4 Press-hott system back in gosh.. 2005 I think it was.. the MCP355, and It still works great to this day in one of my water builds. The new MCP655 are some of the most powerful and durable pumps sold today.. Expensive, but that's part of it with water cooling.. if you want stuff that will work good and not give out on you, you have to pay for it usually.

Reply 228 of 2072, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sunaiac wrote:

Ordered a XL2730Z and a G402 Hyperion.
First updates to my main PC since forever (forever being bying the 290X on november 2013)
That'll replace a W2363D and a MX518 which probably is on its tenth birthday.

G402 have a good shape. The main problems on it are: 1. The "sniper" button is a bit distant from the thumb (if you keep it at the M4/M5 buttons) and 2. The wheel button is a square switch instead of a D2-type switch, so you don't have the same feedback and durability. Had one for a couple months, sold it and went straight back to my G400s, whose shape is the most comfortable I've ever used (fell in love with it since the MX500).

Reply 229 of 2072, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received my Zalman VF2000 LED hybrid GPU/CPU coolers about a week ago. I had ordered an extra one for a friend of mine, which he tried to mount on his HD6850 right away...and it seemed to fit!

He didn't test this HSF with his HD6850 right away though, but instead mounted it on one of his AM3 rigs and it seemed to cool well enough (it was not one of the more high-end CPU's, it might've been an Athlon II x4 3GHz or something).

Only thing we noticed was that its LED wasn't as bright as we had hoped, but he did have 4 or 5 other blue LED fans in there. But anyway, both of us were satisfied anyway 😀

I also got a truckload of new case fans (over 20 in total). Most I bought for my retro rigs (since I recently discovered I had basically completely ran out of case fans of all basic sizes), but all of them were new.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 230 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spent under $100 to build a small file/Minecraft server. 4gb of DDR3 1600, Kabini 5350, and an ECS AM1 motherboard. Reusing a scrap Gateway ITX case/psu and a 120gb SSD i got for free from a friend. Should be power efficient and perform well.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 231 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That minecraft server is likely going to destroy that SSD. The game makes CONSTANT small writes to the disk as you explore and make changes to the world. this will eat a SSD for lunch. That said, I run my own from home and I use a ram disk with this software: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ Just remember to do enable automatic save to disk. I forgot this once and lost about 3 weeks of save progress. I was less than happy.

Largest server map I ever made was about 8GB, 80% of that was a high-resolution web map care of the DYNMAP mod.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 232 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Speaking of servers. I forgot to post here, but got upgraded processors for my file server in the other room. I mainly host my outfoxed.net web domain on it and two Ark: Survival Evolved servers on it. Which use a lot of ram and are sensitive to physical cpu mhz speed. So..

Old server processors: www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon% ... 5506).html

New Processors: www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon% ... 5640).html

Upgraded chips were $19 total shipped on ebay (for a pair of two) used and work fine.

A number of improvements for server came with the upgraded chips.

+667 mhz CPU speed (I run with max turbo multiplier and speedstep disabled for full turbo speed at all times.. because ark servers respond best to physical cpu speed)
+8MB L3 cache per processor (4MB previously, 12MB now)
+Intel Hyper-Threading (No HT on old chips, now has it)
+266 Mhz memory speed for the system (Old CPU limited server to ddr3-800, now DDR3-1066. Memory controller is in the chips, upgrading chips upgrades ram speed for server).

All for just $19. So yay. There are faster chips I can get for it.. all the way up to 3.9 ghz quad cores or 3.7 ghz 6 cores with 12MB cache and ddr3-1333 ram, but they're still expensive.
For now this is much better than we had, and vastly improved in-world load times for the game servers more than double.

Some performance data:
E5640-Cinebench-R15.jpg

I ran this test quickly with the game servers running, which is taking some of the cpu away so the score is lower, there's an older score in there from when I first got the chips and ran the test with nothing loaded on server.

Next step is going to be upgrading the ram on the thing within the next 2-3 months. Going to try to get a set of 12 x 8 GB, and aim for 96GB. I already found a supplier on ebay and I can get 96 GB for $150, maybe less with make-an-offer, we'll see when the time comes to buy.

And before you ask, the reason for the huge ram will be VM's. I plan to host a number of virtual machines for some friends of mine.

Reply 233 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

That minecraft server is likely going to destroy that SSD. The game makes CONSTANT small writes to the disk as you explore and make changes to the world. this will eat a SSD for lunch. That said, I run my own from home and I use a ram disk with this software: https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ Just remember to do enable automatic save to disk. I forgot this once and lost about 3 weeks of save progress. I was less than happy.

Largest server map I ever made was about 8GB, 80% of that was a high-resolution web map care of the DYNMAP mod.

Thanks for the info! I had no idea. I will use a spare 2tb Hitachi sata3 drive instead then. Double it up as a movie server.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 234 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this for my first custom water cooling build that I plan on doing hopefully in the near future.

Attachments

Reply 235 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got this for my first custom water cooling build that I plan on doing hopefully in the near future.

Sexy! If you have any questions about it (custom water in general) PM me I'd be happy to chat with ya on steam or IM or something. I have 3 custom-looped computers here and been doing it since around 2005.

Reply 236 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Sexy! If you have any questions about it (custom water in general) PM me I'd be happy to chat with ya on steam or IM or something. I have 3 custom-looped computers here and been doing it since around 2005.

Thanks a lot, will do. I still need a bunch of parts though. I am thinking on getting this ek-xres 100 d5 pwm pump as it seems to be a very popular choice, but I can't find it anywhere. There is a newer version of it, but I don't know if it's actually better. I'll probably be getting the heatkiller IV next and the Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX case.

Reply 237 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Amateur. My first water cooled rig was a pentium 2 450 in about 2000 ish.

But seriously, watercooling is a waste of time and money. Todays air coolers can do the job in 99% of cases.

Reply 238 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

Amateur. My first water cooled rig was a pentium 2 450 in about 2000 ish.

But seriously, watercooling is a waste of time and money. Todays air coolers can do the job in 99% of cases.

I've read that this graphics card runs much cooler compare to air cooler versions. I've been actually thinking of mixing air CPU cooling with water VGA cooling, this way nothing should die if there ever a leak. However, this is probably not a very good idea.

Reply 239 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Experience has taught me, its not worth the cost. If you need a faster video card, spend the $100 on a better gpu/cpu and you will be better off.