Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 2072, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It would be awesome if you could do a write up after checking out its retro gaming compatibility 😊

I did some very quick testing using Radeon 8500 LE 128MB conected via single-link DVI. To my surprise desktop works even at 2560x1440 (which is way over specs of SL DVI and most likely R200 too). 1600x1200 and 1920x1440 are working as well... basically pretty much all resolutions work.
The problem is 1280x1024 is the last one actually usable in 3D games. 1600x1200 and up can start but only for for 5-10 seconds, after that no signal message. Actually I'm not sure if R200 officially supports 1600x1200 over DVI... must do more research later. Perhaps even connect old native 1600x1200 20'' LCD and see how that one turns out.

Perhaps I'll start a new thread and write a list of maximum supported resolutions over DVI on various old GPUs. 😀

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 261 of 2072, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
archsan wrote:

I just checked our local prices and WDC Black 4TB is only about $12 more expensive than HGST Deskstar NAS of the same size. From quality/reliability standpoint, the Black is still better than the HGST, right?

At least according to BackBlaze, HGST have the lowest failure rates.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-rel … -stats-q1-2016/

Yes, I'm aware of BackBlaze' surveys/data, hence my question. Point is, they seem to have only used the cheaper WDC drives in the comparison (from reading the model numbers: WD..EFRX = Red; WD..EADS = Green), though to be fair the HGST models were also older 5400rpm (the HGST Deskstar NAS versions I was looking at are the newer 7200rpm model, which explains their rather expensive price).

I'll check where to get retail WDC Black with effective 5-year warranty. The HGST I checked have 3-year warranty. No experience yet with HGST but I have some older WDC Black and Green drives which are alright (well, the Black is good). But I definitely won't buy drives with only 1-year warranty anymore regardless of brand (had a portable WD drive that was dying/undetectable after a little more than a year with only little usage 🙁 ).

If you poke around, you will find older blog posts that cover older hdd models. A couple of years ago, Seagate drives were failing at atrocious rates. It looks like their newer models are doing much better, but I'm still leery of Seagate drives made in the past 10 years. Their drives back in the 90s and early 2000s were rock solid, and it seems like their 2016 models are doing well (according to BackBlaze link above).

Yeah, Seagate was probably 'forced' to do a better job with their newer models. But I'll wait a bit longer to see others' reviews. I think the sweet spot / safe bets for me today are Samsung SSDs and WD Black HDDs.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 262 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Placed an order for the 4gb version of the Sapphire RX480 Nitro. Hits my budget right on the head at $250 after a ridicules 20% tax from Amazon, and will be a solid upgrade from the HD7870.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 264 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

after a ridicules 20% tax from Amazon

Amazon is not the place to go anymore. They lured people with cheap prices and then they hiked them up. It's a pretty common business scheme. Always shop around for sales and better deals.

Reply 265 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

Wow, you got screwed. I got the overclocked 8gb model for 265

Ya no kidding. Although from what I could find everything is out of stock currently and the prices are around $300+ for the 4gb version reference card that you can find in stock. Figured if I dont go for i now while I have money I wont end up upgrading at all. As much bad press as the RX480 got initially it really does not seem like anyone selling them for a fair/reasonable price can keep them in stock.

Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 266 of 2072, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Perhaps I'll start a new thread and write a list of maximum supported resolutions over DVI on various old GPUs. 😀

Yes ATI cards are known to have some issues with the DVI 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 267 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Amazon is not the place to go anymore. They lured people with cheap prices and then they hiked them up. It's a pretty common business scheme. Always shop around for sales and better deals.

Ok, cancelled the order at no cost. All good, I will keep looking and hopefully get the 8gb for my $250 budget 😊 thanks guys.

Reply 268 of 2072, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rein_ein wrote:
Decide to play with that your "VR" so for 30$ i got this: […]
Show full quote

Decide to play with that your "VR" so for 30$ i got this:

KYyDazIl.jpg
6YDSuvDl.jpg

Yes i already found way to connect it to pc and play with,no i still didn't do it.

What is this "that your "VR"" ? 😕
Is it for smartphones?

Reply 269 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Ok, cancelled the order at no cost. All good, I will keep looking and hopefully get the 8gb for my $250 budget 😊 thanks guys.

I had a SMS and email alert setup and I got mine through this site: http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rx480/

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 270 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks just picked up the reference 8gb Power Color card (not my first choice, but meh) on Newegg ebay thanks to that site!

Reply 271 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ODwilly wrote:

Thanks just picked up the reference 8gb Power Color card (not my first choice, but meh) on Newegg ebay thanks to that site!

I hate Newegg's eBay store though. Happened to me after I received a refurbished and bare iPad instead of new one sealed in a retail box. The worst part was when I realized that I was not alone with the exact same problem. Patience is a must when it comes to shopping for a new graphics card.

Reply 272 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ODwilly wrote:

I hate Newegg's eBay store though. Happened to me after I received a refurbished and bare iPad instead of new one sealed in a retail box. The worst part was when I realized that I was not alone with the exact same problem. Patience is a must when it comes to shopping for a new graphics card.

A few years back when the HD3870x2 was new, I wanted one badly.. and didn't have the money right away. But when I did get it.. like now, they were sold out everywhere. But I was so excited for a new GPU and wanting one badly that Instead of waiting for a name brand one, I ended up buying a "GeCube" brand HD3870x2. Which -DID- work, but there was zero support.The company never responded to emails at all, phone number went to voicemail and I never got an answer. And the fan bearings dried out in 8 months and I had to buy another fan and replace it and the replacement fans on ebay didn't fit their card and I ended up having to disassemble the entire f'ing thing and oil the bearings and it was just a nightmare and total waste of my money and If I'd just waited another few weeks for newegg to restock I could of gotten a Sapphire card. Or XFX...... and one of those would probably still be working today.

Reply 273 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

A few years back when the HD3870x2 was new, I wanted one badly.. and didn't have the money right away. But when I did get it.. like now, they were sold out everywhere. But I was so excited for a new GPU and wanting one badly that Instead of waiting for a name brand one, I ended up buying a "GeCube" brand HD3870x2. Which -DID- work, but there was zero support.The company never responded to emails at all, phone number went to voicemail and I never got an answer. And the fan bearings dried out in 8 months and I had to buy another fan and replace it and the replacement fans on ebay didn't fit their card and I ended up having to disassemble the entire f'ing thing and oil the bearings and it was just a nightmare and total waste of my money and If I'd just waited another few weeks for newegg to restock I could of gotten a Sapphire card. Or XFX...... and one of those would probably still be working today.

Ouch you and Dreamer have some horror stories 😲 at least I have heard and used Power Color products before, and as a reference card you would think it would be rather difficult for them to mess up since they basically just put their sticker on it.

Reply 274 of 2072, by rein_ein

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Arctic wrote:

What is this "that your "VR"" ? 😕
Is it for smartphones?

Yes,since when all this mess around introduced Oculus started i missed... all until now and finally bought cheap alternative to pair and play with my Nexus 5

3x5uzq-5.png
4sv43l-5.png

Reply 275 of 2072, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kithylin wrote:

Ouch, this is probably why I never buy noname products. The best time to shop for a new video card is when new products are about to be released and that's when the previous generation of graphics cards goes on sale. That alone can save up to 50% on previous products. Just like I purchased this GTX 980 Ti. Although, it wasn't cheap however, I got it much cheaper than $799 that it used to cost a few months ago. I just really wanted a water cooling edition, since modern cards run hotter and tend to die faster these days.

Reply 276 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:

Ouch, this is probably why I never buy noname products. The best time to shop for a new video card is when new products are about to be released and that's when the previous generation of graphics cards goes on sale. That alone can save up to 50% on previous products. Just like I purchased this GTX 980 Ti. Although, it wasn't cheap however, I got it much cheaper than $799 that it used to cost a few months ago. I just really wanted a water cooling edition, since modern cards run hotter and tend to die faster these days.

I usually get em a couple years used myself. Also yeah, I shared my old experience here for others to learn from it.

Reply 277 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

Been through worse, most laptops out there these days give that a run for its money especially with all the plastic snaps that break and the millions of different screws of all different sizes in the same machine ect. One of my biggest grips is the flat flex connectors that easily break and that there is so many vs how it was in the good old days.

The reference model 3870x2 was even worse due to the poor thermals that slow roasted most of them into oblivion.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 278 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ordered an XFX card almost 2 weeks ago. Sadly, it got lost in the mail: https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?trackn … n&cntry_code=us

Newegg is pretty awesome about it. A bit slow on the refund process, but I cried on the phone to a customer service agent, then cried to his manager, told them how my dog had cancer and this was his final wish ( joking ). Long story short, they said they were going to cancel my order, and give me a different brand of card. I had two choices, a MSI reference 480 card or this: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX … X480-8G-GAMING/ But I had to pay the difference, and wait until release day. Which they wouldn't tell me.

I chose the 2nd option. So i have to suffer with my overheating 8800GT for a while longer. 🙁

NEVER sell your old card until you get a new one kids. Lesson learned.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 279 of 2072, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone likely stole the card in transit, learned the hard way to NEVER use DHL and never trust UPS as they are likely to deliver to the wrong address.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.