VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember those days when I played Call of Duty and Medal of Honor for the first time. Despite they're both scripted and linear, I love the little twists that makes the game interesting, like cooperating with your scripted teammates, and having to complete mini objectives instead of simply killing everyone in the said level. However, I ended up playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein instead. In fact, I was more glued to RTCW than either CoD or MoH, despite the more sophisticated gameplay of the latter two. Turned out it was RTCW plot premise and atmosphere that intrigued me.

Yes, the plot wasn't perfect, and the scripts aren't as advanced as those in CoD or MoH. But there are nice, thrilling moments you cannot find in either games. My most favorite RTCW levels are those crypts and catacombs underneath the village; as soon as you peek down, you see Nazis retreating while strafing at the advancing undeads. Very cool! In the catacombs, as you pass through certain coffins, you see them shaking and you hear loud knocking sounds from the inside. Then you peek through a grate, and you see another Nazi backing off while strafing at an incoming skeleton. I also busted into laughter as I see a skeleton raising it shields to protect its head when I strafe it my my Thompson. Too bad the scripts are not advanced enough to enable you to cooperate with the Nazis to survive against the undeads, but regardless of its shortcomings, RTCW is still a thrilling FPS experience. Later levels doesn't disappoint either; Deathshead's Secret Weapons Facility is far more eerie and interesting than the boring Strogg installations in Quake II. And while RTCW's ending cutscene is as cheesy as 80's cartoons, it is an enjoyable kind of cheese; the way I enjoy Red Alert's cheesiness.

So, RTWC is one of those rare moments when I choose atmosphere and plot premise instead of gameplay in an FPS, and I think RTWC does it right. CoD and MoH has interesting missions and plots, but they're all history and no fantasy. Doom 3 has interesting tense buildup, but once the shooting starts, turns out the gameplay sucks and not really balanced. Quake II's gameplay is similar to that of RTWC; a "good enough" shooter, but too bad the game has no personality at all. Even Quake, which is explicitly stated to not have any plot at all, has much better personality and atmosphere than Quake II.

Sometimes I wish for a zombie or "supernatural/fantasy WWII" expansion pack for CoD or MoH. Either that, or RTWC with more advanced scripts and gameplay. I mean, wouldn't it be groovy if we could hijack a tank to disrupt Heinrich's final ceremony, just like Ash using his DIY deathmobile to wreak havoc among the deadites in Army of Darkness?

So, anyone has any suggestion for such games? I think the most obvious choice is Wolfenstein, which is the sequel to RTCW, but I missed the gameplay on the first place, so I wonder if the game is still cheesy-interesting like the previous, or has become grimmer and more serious.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 38, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never liked RTCW 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 felt it was overrated then because the OKMG ITS A BRAND NEW WOLFENSTEIN!!! CELEBRATE 20 YEARS OF WOLF FRANCHISE!! U MUST BUY TO HONER THE WOLFENSTEIN LEGACY!!!1 etc. was a bit overblown in hype from the brand and id OMFG THEY INVENTED FPS involvement alone, and I preferred MOHAA which came shortly after and didn't have as much hype to ride on at the time other than being that one omaha beach game at e3.

You might enjoy Red Faction. It's got a somewhat interesting storyline, and some noble attempts at making interesting gameplay (like making holes and taking vehicles, in between hitscan shoot shoots) and has a certain camp factor to it all, as well as certain hilarious AI bugs that miraculously survived all the way to SR4 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 38, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I grew off of the typica FPS. For me, and its just my opinion, F.E.A.R. was the latest and greatest of the type. Playing Operation Flashpoint changed my life. The thrill of an absolut open world with a hundred square miles of terrain and the freedom that it gives you, to take a different approach and new tactics and an absolutely unpredictable AI which will give you nightmares.

Reply 4 of 38, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thief? Half-Life? Jedi Knight 2? Unreal?

Last edited by clueless1 on 2016-03-19, 19:03. Edited 1 time in total.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 38, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Terra Nova was rather nice, if you don't mind cheesy acting.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 38, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, that should have been Nazi Zombie Army in my previous post.
Also, Far Cry Blood Dragon sounds like what you're looking for.
I'd add those to your wish list and wait for them to go on sale, though.
No sense paying full price, though both drop to $5 or less on sale.

Reply 8 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the suggestions, folks! 😀 Red Faction sounds promising --plague and the likes.

carlostex wrote:

Playing Operation Flashpoint changed my life. The thrill of an absolut open world with a hundred square miles of terrain and the freedom that it gives you, to take a different approach and new tactics and an absolutely unpredictable AI which will give you nightmares.

Indeed, so is Delta Force. But this time I'm looking for something less serious. 😀 I don't know, just something like Quake II, but with interesting plot premise and personality.

leileilol wrote:

I never liked RTCW 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 felt it was overrated then because the OKMG ITS A BRAND NEW WOLFENSTEIN!!! CELEBRATE 20 YEARS OF WOLF FRANCHISE!! U MUST BUY TO HONER THE WOLFENSTEIN LEGACY!!!1 etc. was a bit overblown in hype from the brand and id OMFG THEY INVENTED FPS involvement alone, and I preferred MOHAA which came shortly after and didn't have as much hype to ride on at the time other than being that one omaha beach game at e3.

Believe it or not, the original Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 3D isn't the reason I played Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Nope. I didn't care much about Wolfenstein 3D. Yes, it has mecha-Hitler, but the rest of the enemies are boring and bland. There's simply not enough atmosphere, and I don't really blame the designer, since the technology was pretty limited at that time.

Nope, the thing that attracted me to the game was the intro. Yep, I watched a co-worker of mine playing the game for the first time, and the intro really pulled me to the game --the magical battle against Heinrich in the past, followed by Nazi archaeological digging that reminds me much of Indiana Jones Movie. Then the campy OSS briefing, then the beginning of the game where we're tortured by the Nazi mad scientist. Then I told myself, "I *must* play this game even if it's for the sake of storyline alone!" Then I bought and played it, and it didn't disappoint. To be frank, the part of RTCW that reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D is the first scenario, where we are to escape from the Castle Wolfenstein. But the rest of the game? I think it's pretty original, and enjoyable too.

I'm not saying that RTCW is the best shooter around. Nope. But it's a great casual game. The gameplay is casual enough like Quake II (unlike, say, Delta Force or Operation Flashpoint), yet the game's atmosphere and personality is very attractive, unlike the bland and boring Quake II.

And like I say, Medal of Honor and Call of Duty has much better gameplay than Return To Castle Wolfenstein, but unfortunately both games are more historical than fantasy, and the tone is more serious and less camp. Anyone remember the bomber mission in Call of Duty: United Offensive? I actually wish for a CoD mod where we have to strafe at Lovecraftian atmospheric monster like the one in the movie Altitude.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 38, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love RTCW. One of my favourite FPS games of all time for many different reasons. I play it through every couple of years or so, despite having finished it so many times. Theres something amazing about it that keeps bringing me back, much like Deus Ex and System Shock 2.

To list my top FPS games of all time it might look something like this :

1. System Shock 2 (total masterpiece of a game)
2. Deus Ex (probably the best game made)
3. Wolfenstein New Order (shocked at how good this was considering how gaming is these days)
4. Quake (first one - with mission packs) (timeless and spent far too much of my life rampaging ogres and vores)
5. F.E.A.R (great mechanics and gunplay)
6. Stalker : Shadows of Chernobyl (flawed masterpiece with tons of atmosphere and stuff to do)
7. Metro Last Light (linear, but amazingly well paced and detailed)
8. Doom 1 + 2 (still play them via Kickstarter)
9. Chronicles of Riddick : Butcher Bay (great story and very polished game)
10. Return to Castle Wolfenstein (challenging, original hardcore FPS game)
11. Doom 3 (people hate it, I love it)
12. Quake 4 (same as Doom 3, I saw nothing wrong with it and love playing through it)
13. TRON 2.0 (less known game perhaps, but the level design, art direction and story are great)
14. Call Of Duty 2 (before it all started to go wrong, they made the best COD game)
15. Medal Of Honour : Allied Assault (vast game with the Quake III engine behind it)

Now those are from a single player only perspective, and are in no particular order. Just great single player FPS games for many different reasons. Since Quake (and Quakeworld) I've been a serious multiplayer (competitive) FPS gamer and settled into Quake III OSP (and subsequently Quake Live) but also play a lot of Survarium (very Stalker-ish). I'm not a fan of the more casual, recent FPS games such as what the Call Of Duty / Far Cry franchises have turned into and I was never a fan of Crysis as an actual *game*. It was stunning to look at, but 3 titles in and they still can't make a game that interest me beyond half an hour of playing.

Routine looks promising, Doom looks like absolute casual trash and apart from some remakes / remasters, it is looking as grim as ever regarding new FPS games coming out. Excited to see what comes next from MachineGames though. I hope a multiplayer version of New Order / Old Blood. But I am not that lucky! (Still I can dream).

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 10 of 38, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try F.E.A.R., the gunplay and enemy A.I. is phenomenal. There is a foreboding atmosphere that certainly makes things interesting as it goes on, although I wasn't particularly fond of the resolution it or any of its sequels gave 😜.
Great game nonetheless!

Reply 12 of 38, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finshed Unreal recently and had a blast. Awesome atmosphere and music even if the game is pretty basic at its core.
How about Outlaws? The setting in itself is pretty unusual.

Reply 13 of 38, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Outlaws is fantastic but is the only game that ever made me nauseous. You can turn off head-bob I learned later but it's no good to me now; just thinking about it turns my stomach 😵

I found FarCry 3 to be an excellent experience if you can get past the hero, who's an asshat, and the storyline / dialogs, which are embarrassingly bad.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 14 of 38, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote:
bjt wrote:

Outlaws is fantastic but is the only game that ever made me nauseous. You can turn off head-bob I learned later but it's no good to me now; just thinking about it turns my stomach 😵

I found FarCry 3 to be an excellent experience if you can get past the hero, who's an asshat, and the storyline / dialogs, which are embarrassingly bad.

Yea, so head-bob gives you nausea? Guess the game's camera moves in a motion kind of similar to this, no? 😵

78ie3TQ.jpg

I have to say something similar has happened to me with SEGA's super scaler games like the original Outrun (nooooooo.) and very low FOV games like Turok 1. That dreaded effect when perspective makes objects kind of overlap between each other as there's no clear perception of depth really kills it for me. Haven't tried playing them again in a while but oh boy, did I feel like I was going to fall to the floor when I experienced that. 🤣

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 16 of 38, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Try F.E.A.R., the gunplay and enemy A.I. is phenomenal. There is a foreboding atmosphere that certainly makes things interesting as it goes on, although I wasn't particularly fond of the resolution it or any of its sequels gave 😜.
Great game nonetheless!

Oh yes, F.E.A.R atmosphere is great 😀 , and the entire atmosphere is creepy (and no, Doom 3 is not at all). The gameplay is less casual though, it's more "exploration" and "feel the atmosphere" --probably more like System Shock-- than casual shooter like RTCW or Quake II. F.E.A.R is a great game nonetheless.

Reply 17 of 38, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If your planning on playing red faction on modern hardware you need a mod called pure faction
http://purefaction.org

Games with a good story
Tribes Vengence : Irrational (aka looking glass) have always been great story tellers.

Messiah : Bob is a working-class angel ordered by God himself to go and clean up the putrid, disgusting, sleazy, and infested world of the future. He has been given the power of possesion so that he can sneak up on any person, animal or genetically engineered being and leap right into their souls!

Clive Barkers Undying : scary as hell

Requiem Avenging Angel : You play the role of Malachi, a loyal angel, blasting through futuristic settings; meeting other characters; and developing angelic powers like: possession, flight, Bloodboil, and the ability to turn enemies to salt.

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness