Common searches

Reply 21 of 35, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

It's probably just a bug. Microsoft's web pages not working properly doesn't exactly shock me.

It's intentional and it's been like that for months.

Yes. Microsoft is perfect and them leaving a bug for months is unthinkable (sarcasm, if you can't tell). I'm not saying it can't be intentional, but you have no way of knowing.

DracoNihil wrote:

That's not what I'm getting, even when I google search for dxwebsetup I get redirected to a Windows 10 download despite even Google's return result lists something else. Microsofts website is doing the same thing.

There's also alot of link rot for obtaining older MFC libraries and what not that I'm running into currently.

So what's going on? Is it because my family has a Windows 10 machine talking to Microsoft's servers? Or am I seriously doing something wrong?

http://www.google.com/ncr
Memorize that url. NCR is short for No Country Redirection, it brings you to the main Google page not whatever terrible localized version you have.

Reply 22 of 35, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Is Microsoft really that desperate to make people use Windows 10? ...

Yes: How Microsoft copied malware techniques to make Get Windows 10 the world's PC pest

Let the air flow!

Reply 23 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

In before loyal to Microsoft moderators lock this thread up. Didn't you guys know that It's not allowed to even mention Windows 10 on Vogons.

First of all not one of the moderators is loyal to MS. Second, before you make claims like this hand us some proof that threads got locked up because Windows 10 was mentioned.
Third threads get locked up because people can't keep it civil when it comes to Windows for some reasons. Your post is a good example.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 24 of 35, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
realnc wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

It's probably just a bug. Microsoft's web pages not working properly doesn't exactly shock me.

It's intentional and it's been like that for months.

Given that some links exhibit the behaviour, and others do not, it seems more plausible that something isn't working as expected.

If it was intentional, it wouldn't be so sporadic and inconsistent.

It is not sporadic and not inconsistent. It's 100% reproducible, on the same exact pages, every time.

Reply 25 of 35, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

In before loyal to Microsoft moderators lock this thread up. Didn't you guys know that It's not allowed to even mention Windows 10 on Vogons.

First of all not one of the moderators is loyal to MS. Second, before you make claims like this hand us some proof that threads got locked up because Windows 10 was mentioned.
Third threads get locked up because people can't keep it civil when it comes to Windows for some reasons. Your post is a good example.

Maybe you should remove only those people instead of punishing everybody 😵

Reply 26 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Is it really a punishment when you close flame war threads? I see it as acts of mercy...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 27 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

Memorize that url. NCR is short for No Country Redirection, it brings you to the main Google page not whatever terrible localized version you have.

I live in the US, Google is a US company so why would I get a "terrible localized version"? Microsoft is a US company as well.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 28 of 35, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
realnc wrote:

It is not sporadic and not inconsistent. It's 100% reproducible, on the same exact pages, every time.

🤣

Happening on some pages and not on others, is not what you call consistent.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 29 of 35, by RobW0lf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This sort of crap from MS is why I'm so opposed to Windows 10, sticking with 7 and might use 8.1 once it's support drops. I just hate how aggressive MS is being, regardless of the quality of their product.

(Let's try not to get into a massive 10 page argument about Windows 10 again, please)

Reply 30 of 35, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I live in the US, Google is a US company so why would I get a "terrible localized version"? Microsoft is a US company as well.

It's just ruling out a variable, it's entirely possible Google has a global search page and a US search page.

Googling dxwebsetup should give you a valid download link. Other suggestions why you might not get it:

1: Personalized search results.
2: Browser language setting.

Reply 31 of 35, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Is Microsoft really that desperate to make people use Windows 10? ...

Yes: How Microsoft copied malware techniques to make Get Windows 10 the world's PC pest

😳 Now I feel lucky I'm persistently staying with XP, at least XP is free from Windows 10 malware.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 32 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's sad that more and more download sites are stripping back old downloads, HP/Compaq, Dell, did a big clear out last year. I remember struggling with a hardware manufacture as well, say someone like creative but not sure now, game developer sites started even earlier (EA with westwood titles)

SO yeh its annoying but the writing was on the wall. You haven't been able to download volume licence copies of older software from MS for a quite a while now either. The Licence still shows but you better have a copy of the media somewhere!

In the end unless you control the storage space then you cant treat it as reliable.

Reply 33 of 35, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is getting to the point I think the only way I can get native libraries is to pull them off various Windows ISO's and service pack disks... I really wish it didn't come down to doing that though.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 34 of 35, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

It's sad that more and more download sites are stripping back old downloads, HP/Compaq, Dell, did a big clear out last year.

That's why we must preserve it by downloading and saving as much as possible.