VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I downloaded an .exe driver installer to use on my Windows XP partition on the same hard drive. I moved the file to the drive letter for my XP install and put it in the "Desktop" folder. I saw Linux move it and it showed up when I viewed it from within Linux. Next I pushed the reset button on my PC and booted to Windows XP. THE FILE WAS NOT THERE... I went back to Linux, re-downloaded the file and tried to move it again and it still won't show inside XP. i even tried doing copy paste not cut paste. The only thing that worked was when I created a folder in Linux and put then file inside it. When I moved it to XP and loaded XP again I could see the folder... I looked inside and there was my prized .exe file. Why won't Zorin Linux move .exe files to Windows by itself? Why must I create a folder first? Unfortunately i'm stuck with this piece of crap called Linux until Microsoft gets their act together and stops spying on everything we do and mining our data... Geeez.... Can't even trust Linux to do the most simple things...

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Install screenfetch (sudo apt-get install screenfetch) and copy and paste your results here so we can have more information. Feel free to edit out your username and computer name if you don't want us to see them though.

Here's mine:

██████████████████  ████████     
██████████████████ ████████ OS: Manjaro 15.12 Capella
██████████████████ ████████ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.6-1-MANJARO
██████████████████ ████████ Uptime: 16h 40m
████████ ████████ Packages: 1359
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 4.3.42
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 1920x1080
████████ ████████ DE: KDE5
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: KWin
████████ ████████ ████████ GTK Theme: Maia [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icon Theme: maia
████████ ████████ ████████ Font: Noto Sans Regular
████████ ████████ ████████ CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core @ 3.7GHz
████████ ████████ ████████ GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.1)
████████ ████████ ████████ RAM: 2036MiB / 15974MiB
████████ ████████ ████████

Switching to the full editor and using "code" tags will help keep it neat and tidy, even if it doesn't look that way in the posting window. 😀 This may seem unrelated, but the extra information will definitely help.

Last edited by mr_bigmouth_502 on 2016-11-13, 22:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 25, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NTFS tends to work okay-ish in Linux, but it's not a file system with first class support. Sounds like you've hit some kind of glitch. It's possibly something which can be fixed with a kernel (or NTFS FUSE) update. The easiest and most permanent fix, though, will be to create a FAT32 partition or a network share somewhere and use that to move the file.

BTW, never heard of Zorin Linux.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

NTFS tends to work okay-ish in Linux, but it's not a file system with first class support. Sounds like you've hit some kind of glitch. It's possibly something which can be fixed with a kernel (or NTFS FUSE) update. The easiest and most permanent fix, though, will be to create a FAT32 partition or a network share somewhere and use that to move the file.

BTW, never heard of Zorin Linux.

My dealings with NTFS support on Linux haven't been the greatest. It works well enough for occasional use, but since Linux programs aren't typically designed with NTFS limitations in mind, it can often lead to things like indexing errors, files being saved with invalid characters in their names, and other bizarre behavior. I believe there's also some risk for data corruption too. 😜 NTFS isn't that great of a filesystem, and since there's practically no official documentation for it, third parties who want to support it are left shooting in the dark.

Zorin is a semi-commercial Ubuntu variant. The reason why I say that is because it has some proprietary programs you can't get on other distros, and the people who make it offer a paid version with more features. I used it for a while back when they offered Zorin OS 9 Gaming Edition for free, but I later moved onto Xubuntu since that version of Zorin was based on an obsolete, non-LTS version of Ubuntu (13.10 IIRC). I like the DE it ships with, though I wish it weren't so closed and proprietary, since that sort of defeats the point of a GNU/Linux-based OS. As far as newbie friendly distros go, I'd still take Zorin over Linux Mint, though there are better options out there for users with a bit more GNU/Linux knowhow.

Reply 4 of 25, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

I saw Linux move it and it showed up when I viewed it from within Linux. Next I pushed the reset button on my PC and booted to Windows XP. THE FILE WAS NOT THERE...

computergeek92 wrote:

Unfortunately i'm stuck with this piece of crap called Linux until Microsoft gets their act together and stops spying on everything we do and mining our data... Geeez.... Can't even trust Linux to do the most simple things...

Even on Windows, you must use "safely remove media" and wait for the OS to write (flush) the changes to disk before the file system updates the directory information or you will lose data. Ripping out drives without pushing any kind of "eject media" button, or pushing reset without pushing any kind of "shut down" button is just plain asking for trouble on any OS.

Reply 5 of 25, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computergeek92 wrote:

Unfortunately i'm stuck with this piece of crap called Linux until Microsoft gets their act together and stops spying on everything we do and mining our data... Geeez.... Can't even trust Linux to do the most simple things...

Dude make FAT32 partition and use that to transfer files between OSs. It's pretty common practice.
Blaming an OS for not supporting a native format of another OS, whether Windows Linux or whatever, isn't going to get you anywhere.

FWIW Linux did actually transfer your precious file across. Try going the other way. Pound to a pinch of salt it is damn near impossible.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 25, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computergeek92 wrote:

Next I pushed the reset button on my PC and booted to Windows XP.

proper shutdown with cache flush is a must to keep data integrity up, not even DOS really allows for this, just when caches are autoflushed at program exit

computergeek92 wrote:

The only thing that worked was when I created a folder in Linux and put then file inside it.

possibly by design and chance unless theres more info that we miss here

computergeek92 wrote:

Unfortunately i'm stuck with this piece of crap called Linux

this system is so much more advanced and workable that i wont even say much more, unless we talk about proprietary technology linux can all and much more than windows ever could, it needs to be used accordingly to manual though

computergeek92 wrote:

Can't even trust Linux to do the most simple things...

unlike billOS linux gives you options and choices some of them are even hard to grasp in the beginning, a side effect is that many things dont work automagically as in winblows;

as for NTFS in linux, it is mostly encryption that wont work, even compression should (given somewhat contemporary version of software) although it may not be performed on the data;

Reply 7 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other day I booted into my Windows 7 partition for the first time in seemingly forever, and I was amazed how snappy and intuitive it was. I still went back to my Manjaro install just because I'm a masochist. 🤣 GNU/Linux is fun to horse around with, and you can do some neat stuff with it, but it's still way too janky and unpolished to be a proper desktop OS. That said, KDE window snapping is awesome, and Windows requires third party addons for it.

Reply 8 of 25, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jepael wrote:
computergeek92 wrote:

I saw Linux move it and it showed up when I viewed it from within Linux. Next I pushed the reset button on my PC and booted to Windows XP. THE FILE WAS NOT THERE...

computergeek92 wrote:

Even on Windows, you must use "safely remove media" and wait for the OS to write (flush) the changes to disk before the file system updates the directory information or you will lose data. Ripping out drives without pushing any kind of "eject media" button, or pushing reset without pushing any kind of "shut down" button is just plain asking for trouble on any OS.

Of course I use "safely eject media" first or wait till all internal copy tasks are done before hitting the reset switch. I know my mark. It's just common sense. I have 5 years computer tech skill and I've done the reset button trick for years with ZERO problems. You have to do something when Windows freezes up and won't do anything.

Last edited by computergeek92 on 2016-04-03, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 25, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

The other day I booted into my Windows 7 partition for the first time in seemingly forever, and I was amazed how snappy and intuitive it was. I still went back to my Manjaro install just because I'm a masochist. 🤣 GNU/Linux is fun to horse around with, and you can do some neat stuff with it, but it's still way too janky and unpolished to be a proper desktop OS. That said, KDE window snapping is awesome, and Windows requires third party addons for it.

I'll second that. 😉 Linux seems to often over-complicate things regarding computers. I've honestly had far less stress getting Windows XP to work the way I want it to and I truly can't find any real successor to it yet.

Reply 10 of 25, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Install screenfetch (sudo apt-get install screenfetch) and copy and paste your results here so we can have more information. Fee […]
Show full quote

Install screenfetch (sudo apt-get install screenfetch) and copy and paste your results here so we can have more information. Feel free to edit out your username and computer name if you don't want us to see them though.

Here's mine:

██████████████████  ████████     d00d@athlon860k-manjaro
██████████████████ ████████ OS: Manjaro 15.12 Capella
██████████████████ ████████ Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.4.6-1-MANJARO
██████████████████ ████████ Uptime: 16h 40m
████████ ████████ Packages: 1359
████████ ████████ ████████ Shell: bash 4.3.42
████████ ████████ ████████ Resolution: 1920x1080
████████ ████████ DE: KDE5
████████ ████████ ████████ WM: KWin
████████ ████████ ████████ GTK Theme: Maia [GTK2/3]
████████ ████████ ████████ Icon Theme: maia
████████ ████████ ████████ Font: Noto Sans Regular
████████ ████████ ████████ CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core @ 3.7GHz
████████ ████████ ████████ GPU: Gallium 0.4 on AMD CAPE VERDE (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.7.1)
████████ ████████ ████████ RAM: 2036MiB / 15974MiB

Switching to the full editor and using "code" tags will help keep it neat and tidy, even if it doesn't look that way in the posting window. 😀 This may seem unrelated, but the extra information will definitely help.

I tried that and it did not work. I'm really bad with Linux Terminal.

Heres what was in Terminal:

matt@zorinlinux9:~$ sudo apt-get install screenfetch
[sudo] password for matt:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package screenfetch
matt@zorinlinux9:~$

Reply 11 of 25, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The output means screenfetch hasn't been located in any of the repositories in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.
I get the same result. I personally don't see how the info provided will be helpful anyway.

FWIW I'm not a computer tech and manage to use Linux as my main desktop system on a daily basis. Hell even my wife can use it without any complaining.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 12 of 25, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here is ppa with screenfetch for ubuntu, so you can add this repository and reload cache (by typing "apt-get update" after that), and you can install this.

Or if you have some problems with adding ppa repository here is another way to install it

and here is mine look of screenfetch

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmds+. OS: Mint 17.3 rosa
MMm----::-://////////////oymNMd+` Kernel: i686 Linux 4.4.0-15-generic
MMd /++ -sNMd: Uptime: 13h 48m
MMNso/` dMM `.::-. .-::.` .hMN: Packages: 2420
ddddMMh dMM :hNMNMNhNMNMNh: `NMm Shell: bash 4.3.11
NMm dMM .NMN/-+MMM+-/NMN` dMM Resolution: 1920x1080
NMm dMM -MMm `MMM dMM. dMM WM: Metacity
NMm dMM -MMm `MMM dMM. dMM CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2GHz
NMm dMM .mmd `mmm yMM. dMM GPU: GeForce 210
NMm dMM` ..` ... ydm. dMM RAM: 593MiB / 2013MiB
hMM- +MMd/-------...-:sdds dMM
-NMm- :hNMNNNmdddddddddy/` dMM
-dMNs-``-::::-------.`` dMM
`/dMNmy+/:-------------:/yMMM
./ydNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
\.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 13 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiger433 wrote:
Here is ppa with screenfetch for ubuntu, so you can add this repository and reload cache (by typing "apt-get update" after that) […]
Show full quote

Here is ppa with screenfetch for ubuntu, so you can add this repository and reload cache (by typing "apt-get update" after that), and you can install this.

Or if you have some problems with adding ppa repository here is another way to install it

and here is mine look of screenfetch

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmds+. OS: Mint 17.3 rosa
MMm----::-://////////////oymNMd+` Kernel: i686 Linux 4.4.0-15-generic
MMd /++ -sNMd: Uptime: 13h 48m
MMNso/` dMM `.::-. .-::.` .hMN: Packages: 2420
ddddMMh dMM :hNMNMNhNMNMNh: `NMm Shell: bash 4.3.11
NMm dMM .NMN/-+MMM+-/NMN` dMM Resolution: 1920x1080
NMm dMM -MMm `MMM dMM. dMM WM: Metacity
NMm dMM -MMm `MMM dMM. dMM CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2GHz
NMm dMM .mmd `mmm yMM. dMM GPU: GeForce 210
NMm dMM` ..` ... ydm. dMM RAM: 593MiB / 2013MiB
hMM- +MMd/-------...-:sdds dMM
-NMm- :hNMNNNmdddddddddy/` dMM
-dMNs-``-::::-------.`` dMM
`/dMNmy+/:-------------:/yMMM
./ydNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
\.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

I could've sworn the Ubuntu people added screenfetch to its official sources. Maybe it's still not available on 14.04, idk. Whatever the case, the new LTS, 16.04, should be getting its final release soon.

Reply 14 of 25, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well now I tried this all over just doing a normal restart or shutdown on Zorin. Once XP loaded, the file was present. I guess I'll only use the reset button when the machine locks up, and then check if any recent files are missing... What is the point of even having a reset button when all it's going to do is mess with your files? Grrr...

Reply 15 of 25, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The file probably lost its attributes. Happened a couple of times to me here in the service. Transfer a couple of GB of customer data from one partition to another in one system > files become invisible in the other system but report alocated space, yet they are not hidden nor protected they simply lost their attributes. Try running software that looks for lost data and reclaim it (windows check disk).

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 16 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might want to consider adding your NTFS partition to fstab, so that it will mount automatically and be properly configured.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MountingWin … _.2Fetc.2Ffstab
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=1202.0

Editing /etc/fstab is pretty much the same among all distros. 😉

Reply 17 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
computergeek92 wrote:

Of course I use "safely eject media" first or wait till all internal copy tasks are done before hitting the reset switch.

What makes you think you can tell when "all internal copy tasks are done" ? Wouldn't "internal tasks" by definition be invisible? Why not just restart normally, using whatever the equivalent of a Start menu is present in your build of Linux?

I have 5 years computer tech skill and I've done the reset button trick for years with ZERO problems.

Linux would appear to be beyond your 5 years of experience then, wouldn't it?

computergeek92 wrote:

What is the point of even having a reset button when all it's going to do is mess with your files? Grrr...

As you say, it's for "when Windows freezes up and won't do anything" – a last resort when you're probably going to be losing data anyway. Certainly not something to be used during regular operation.

Reply 19 of 25, by CU-133A+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
computergeek92 wrote:

Geeez.... Can't even trust Linux to do the most simple things...

Linux can be frustrating, but it is worth the learning curve.

What are the file attributes? Go to the directory of the file and in a shell run:

# ls -l

You may need to run the folllwing on the file to change is attributes, if for some reason only one user or root is permitted access.

# chmod

That being said, most likely an NTFS issue. You could put it on a USB flash then boot into XP?