Reply 20 of 37, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

The EBay thread in Marvin has special rules: Post 286857

I think you mean Milliways... 🤣

And i for one got use to this forum, all i had to do is to read the description of the board and i feel the forum is great and nothing needs to be changed.

Stiletto wrote:

It's been talked about before, both publicly and privately. The short version: we like our history, we like our uniqueness, we don't care if newcomers can't understand, it won't be debated.

^This!!!!

Reply 21 of 37, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:

For all those who don't understand the titles, there's always the description.

True, true...

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 22 of 37, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually don't understand the issue. The descriptions are right there under the board titles... People can't read?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 23 of 37, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

I actually don't understand the issue. The descriptions are right there under the board titles... People can't read?

Perhaps things would improve if we replaced the descriptions with emojis... 🤣

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 24 of 37, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skyscraper wrote:

🤣 🤣

Reply 25 of 37, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

I think you mean Milliways... 🤣

D'oh! Fixed.

Skyscraper wrote:

where's that VOGONS Photoshop photo when I need it... 🤣

DosFreak wrote:

Marvin and Milliways both make perfect sense but only if you are aware of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Yep. If I find the time later I'll break it all down for the casual posters.

DosFreak wrote:

If Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is too obscure then it's a sad state of affairs. 🙁

Damn straight! Always know where your towel is, you hoopy frood.

DosFreak wrote:

We could probably just use the descriptions and get rid of the names but that would be really boring.

Or use just the names, with no descriptions, and start additional chaos. 🤣

RacoonRider wrote:

I love the forum titles. After all, they were something that drove my attention towards this great book. I had countless hours of fun reading all five original books, watching BBC seires, and then listening to the audiobook narrated by Stephen Fry on a 200km brevet last summer.

That's awesome - VOGONS.org helped inspire you to read the books? Great! 😁 😁 😁

clueless1 wrote:

I've also had a few topics deleted, sometimes with a brief PM, sometimes without. I've looked for and asked in reply to the PM if there are posting rules or guidelines besides "no abandonware", but never got a definitive answer as to what is allowed or not. Is there a sticky "Forum Rules" topic somewhere that I missed?

Hope my earlier post made things plain.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 26 of 37, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

where's that VOGONS Photoshop photo when I need it... 🤣

You mean this thing? 🤣

a7U0DNp.png

Reply 28 of 37, by StSam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/hitchhikers/images/1/11/The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140520 […]
Show full quote

latest?cb=20140520174710

That's a non-canon cover - it is lacking "Don't Panic!" 🤣

Memento e-Sinu filo!

Reply 29 of 37, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A fair number of misdirects are in The Guide (DOS and Windows sides equally) by people with hardware or OS problems not specific to a particular game. Perhaps there's a change in the description similar to the DOSBOX note which will help people get to where they should be?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 30 of 37, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I've always liked the HHGTTG theme, it makes the place what it is.

There has been confusion in the past about where hardware chat goes - I seem to recall a post saying it used to never be allowed anyway, as this was originally the dosbox/etc support forum - but the descriptions were changed to make this clearer.

If people can't be bothered to read, or if they do read and get it wrong - there will be consequences - the post gets moved - it's not like they are getting banned. Don't be over-sensitive.

By the way, might have to have Stiletto's response framed.

Stiletto wrote:

It's been talked about before, both publicly and privately. The short version: we like our history, we like our uniqueness, we don't care if newcomers can't understand, it won't be debated.

How's that for blunt? 😀

Reply 34 of 37, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"I've seen it, it's rubbish!"

I use that one when people mention the movie version.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 35 of 37, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
Imperious wrote:

No offense to anyone intended but I have noticed that quite often the response to a post in the wrong sub-forum appears unnecessarily rude.

Don't think I came across rude... The OP DID say to correct him if he's wrong... 😕

Yes, i was the OP of that specific thread and in fact i did say to correct me if i was wrong because since i'm new to the forum i knew that i could do some mistakes, and the answer of the moderator didn't offended me at all.
I read the description but i misunderstood the description. "Emulation of old PCs, PC hardware, or PC peripherals." so when i read i understood that the subforum was about emulation of pc and pc hardware(not the emulation of pc hardware), and i know that was my fault of posting in the wrong subforum, since i was instructed by Stiletto i started posting on the right section.
But this thread made me realise that i'm not the only one that's made this mistake.
Well maybe changing the display order of the subforums may fix this issue without the need of changing the forum unique style.
I reached the forum from PhilsComputerLab youtube channel, in fact i have seen the "Pentium 4 for 98 gaming" video and i have some questions about this and since my question was about very old games on new system i registered to the forum and started a thread.

Reply 37 of 37, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

The V in VOGONS thread: Just letting you know I'm here now... 😀

Heh, nice find! Still can't believe that this place was called "OGONS" once upon a time...