Common searches

What's your favorite DOS RPG?

Topic actions

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm a bit more than halfway through System Shock 1 and am already thinking about what game I want to tackle next. I've been in a RPG mood, and am considering one of these:
Anvil of Dawn (I have both original CD and GOG versions)
Ultima Underworld (GOG version in real DOS)
Might and Magic 3 (GOG version in real DOS)

I played each of these a little while when they were new, but never got very far, so I won't be replaying any games I've already beaten.

Any opinions on which I should pick? Any ideas on gameplay hours for these games? I do prefer shorter games, but I've also completed some very long games (Wizardry 8, anyone?)

I also welcome suggestions for other games besides the three I listed.

Thanks!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 54, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well DOS covers a large era, I mean late games like Fallout 1 had a dos port. For me 'classic' dos rpgs are my favourite, for me its Magic Candle 1, Ultima 6, Eye of the Beholder II (I have a long list of favourites so I wont post them all)

I know you can get off GOG the Beholder Trilogy, so maybe give EOB II a try!

(I'm not a fan of any of the 3 you listed 🤣!)

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just bought a boxed Ultima 6 recently, including cloth map and moonstone. Seems to run pretty good with L1 cache disabled, so that could be another option! Thank you...

Reply 3 of 54, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure I only played through Ultima 7 & Dark Sun-shattered lands on PC under DOS. I pretty much only played point & click adventures back then. In fact the only other real RPG I have played through is final fantasy VII on Playstation back in 1997!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 4 of 54, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SSI AD&D games are not bad at all either, so if you want to play some old-school Dungeons And Dragons RPGs, then "the goldbox series" of series could be a good choice.

Reply 5 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WolverineDK wrote:

The SSI AD&D games are not bad at all either, so if you want to play some old-school Dungeons And Dragons RPGs, then "the goldbox series" of series could be a good choice.

I have them in my GOG wishlist, waiting for a sale. 😀

Reply 7 of 54, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ultima Underworld 2, but not 1.
Ultima 6.
Ultima VII.
SSI Goldbox series.
Quest for Glory series. I especially like the skill system, where you increase your skills not by increasing levels then spending skill points, but by 'exercising'. For example, if you keep sneaking, then your stealth skills would increase, etcetera.
Space Rogue.
Privateer and Privateer 2: The Darkening.

Zup wrote:

Knights of Xentar 😉

Well I actually prefer Cobra Mission for the music alone, too bad it doesn't support General MIDI.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Ultima Underworld 2, but not 1. Ultima 6. Ultima VII. SSI Goldbox series. Quest for Glory series. I especially like the skill sy […]
Show full quote

Ultima 6.
Ultima VII.
SSI Goldbox series.
Quest for Glory series. I especially like the skill system, where you increase your skills not by increasing levels then spending skill points, but by 'exercising'. For example, if you keep sneaking, then your stealth skills would increase, etcetera.
Space Rogue.

I have both Underworlds, U6 and U7 and the QFG series. Lots of choices!

Why do you prefer UU2 to UU1?

Reply 9 of 54, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Ultima Underworld 2, but not 1. Ultima 6. Ultima VII. SSI Goldbox series. Quest for Glory series. I especially like the skill sy […]
Show full quote

Ultima 6.
Ultima VII.
SSI Goldbox series.
Space Rogue.

I have both Underworlds, U6 and U7 and the QFG series. Lots of choices!

Why do you prefer UU2 to UU1?

I don't know, it seems UU1 has more complex dungeons but less NPC interactions, while UU2 is the opposite. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy UU2 much more than UU1. When I finished UU2, it felt like great achievement but also great loss since I love playing the game. On the other hand, I haven't even finished UU1 because each level feels like chore, that I'm too lazy to continue.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 10 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure why I never gave the UU's more time back in the day. I believe it was all to do with timing. I remember my brother being really into them and at the time I think I was all Wing Commander fanboy and burned out on Ultima after beating U7. By the time I was through my WC phase, it was already close to 1995 and UU was left in the dust of more modern games. That's why I love GOG so much. Now I can go back in time and give it another shake. 😀

Reply 11 of 54, by Kodai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BSA Starfire listed two of my all time favorite DOS era RPG's and I cant praise Dark Sun Shattered Lands enough. I also highly recommend Wasteland and Battletech The Crescent Hawk's Revenge. My personal favorite RPG on the PC (at least I think of it as an RPG) is Star Control II. If you're looking for fun character and/or item progression, then these games really shine.

Reply 12 of 54, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite DOS RPG is first Lands of Lore , I played only that years ago but i very like that game.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 13 of 54, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's my list:

Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra
Might & Magic IV - Clouds of Xeen
Might & Magic V - Darkside of Xeen
Lands of Lore
Eye of the Beholder 1
Eye of the Beholder 2

These are all games that I played in the '90s to completion or near completion (couldn't quite finish lands of lore for example). At the time I cheated in most of them because I wasn't very experienced and found them too hard, so I would open an hex editor and augment the attributes of the characters by editing the save file. Nevertheless, they left a strong impression on me and I really enjoyed playing through them - they all sport great VGA graphics and good Midi or FM soundtracks. If time allows, I'd love to have a another go at them now, preferably without cheating! 🤣

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 14 of 54, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would be inclined to start with the Worlds of Ultima games if I had to pick one today, or more likely the original Wasteland. (The version available on GOG and Steam neatly integrates the flavor text that you would have had to look up in the manual originally.)

Superhero League of Hoboken isn't a particularly good RPG, but at least it's pretty funny and has a vaguely interesting design.

Reply 15 of 54, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I generally like the RPG genre, especially DOS based RPG games.

When I had my 286, I played SSI's Krynn trilogy extensively - Beginning from Death Knights of Krynn. I actually didn't play the prequel - Champions of Krynn until much later. I have yet to properly begin the finale - Dark Queen of Krynn.

And played Ultima VI extensively along with Martian Dreams.

There was also the game Drakkhen that I played a lot. I had the rare VGA version.

Might & Magic III - Isles of Terra comes to mind.

Yes, Eye of the Beholder too. Haven't started the 2nd or 3rd games yet.

Elvira and Waxworks.

And some "RPG Lite" games like :

Quest for Glory series - I love the series, despite it's not very deep in the "RPG" elements.
Al-Qadim - a nice fun and good looking game.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 16 of 54, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Bard's Tale series are my favourite DOS RPGs.

Bard%202%2020%20Amiga.gif

Arena and Daggerfall are DOS as well, I tried playing Daggerfall recently but I got some killer motion sickness after about half an hour so had to abandon that idea 😢

Reply 17 of 54, by Ariakos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You really can't go wrong with any Ultima (although... maybe U8 is a stretch. I didn't enjoy it as much as previous ones). Especially U7 rocks.

Outside the box I'd suggest Darklands (by Microprose). It's pretty much Sid Meier's Pirates! meshed with proto-Baldur's Gate era battle system (real time with pause). And lots of multiple choice text adventure. In "realistic" medieval Germany.

Reply 18 of 54, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TBH I couldn't enjoy U7s because of their bad performance. Scrolling is just too annoying for me... U8 is more bearable . I wish someone made alternative DOS game engines for these games... one can dream, right? 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 19 of 54, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ultima 7 Part II Serpent Isle or Darksun Shattered Lands, I can't decide.

U7 SI for its phenomenal story and depth in every aspect, face portraits, world, sound, music (MT32) and DS SL for its kick ass sound track(MT32), story, spells and loosely ad&d base.

Played them both to death.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=