english, the planetary language

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 222, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Hollywood must play a huge role in this. The whole world watches American movies.

It helped me tremendously that they didn't dub the movies/TV-shows here. I remember travelling around Germany in 2009 and I was appalled how badly (even young) people understood day to day English. Obviously you shouldn't be expected to speak English everywhere, but it just puzzles me how people don't learn it "by mistake" with all this information and available resources at their fingertips.

Reply 21 of 222, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been into English since the second grade of school and eventually got a translator's degree (second higher education). Got mistaken for a native speaker once or twice, which is incredibly flattering 😁 It's awesome to go anywhere in the world and be understood, at least partially!

Apart from travelling and work, English is very practical in many other areas. I love to watch movies in English, to hear the voices of actual actors. Some of them are crappy in Russian (e.g. Doctor Who, you can't translate all the jibber-jabber and maintain David Tennant's awesomeness at the same time). And it's always fun to watch GoT before everyone else in English and have the infinite power of spoiling it for your all friends 😜 Funny thing btw, I noticed long ago that after a week or two I have no idea which language I watched this or that thing in, for me it acts as a self-observed proof against linguistic determinism. There's also one more area where knowing English is very useful. I'm a pirate, and when it comes to old, mainly DOS games, getting one in English is often the only available option. Quality localisations in Russia started to show up around 2000, and before that they were more or less a lousy and messy experience.

Reply 22 of 222, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The old text-parser Sierra titles gave me my first real practice in English, plus other games where long textual descriptions played an important role. Not that Leisure Suit Larry would be the first thing I'd let a 7-year-old play, but hey... worked out for me!

There are obvious benefits to having a global language; OTOH its 'monopoly' is such that I doubt I'll ever have a real reason to acquire a fluent *third* language, which is rather sad. Diversity of cultures is actually an important thing (in its real, literal meaning - not in the Newspeak sense of "let's minimize all differences between people, so that the lowest common denominator rules all, and everyone can be a good little consumer"). 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 23 of 222, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what if the person used a translator ? I would feel like kind of a bit cheated.
My guess is that the english language is trying to make it's way as being something everyone on earth can understand and speak, so people are more into acceptation rather than reprehension. I am thinking the clash really is about the oriental way to communicate.

Reply 24 of 222, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

It won't involve a fish in the ear though.

Bummer.

sf78 wrote:

I remember travelling around Germany in 2009 and I was appalled how badly (even young) people understood day to day English. Obviously you shouldn't be expected to speak English everywhere, but it just puzzles me how people don't learn it "by mistake" with all this information and available resources at their fingertips.

Because everything is dubbed here and almost everything the general public needs is available in German. You're required to learn it in school, but like any skill, if it isn't used now and then...

Even some of our top politicians speak English badly 😠

Reply 27 of 222, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've lived in the UK as a native for the last 46 years and I'm still learning the language!

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 28 of 222, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

We're very close to human-like realtime computer voice translation. When that arrives, you'll be able to speak to anyone anywhere regardless of language. It's going to be interesting.

Or translator microbes? 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 29 of 222, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

...Broken/poor English seems to be an easy language to understand compared to others. maybe because English is made up of a mix of other languages.

Yes this seems to be the case. English has a huge vocabulary and a vast reservoir of idiomatic phrases compared to many other languages, and paradoxically this may help non-native speakers. Since it's not necessary to know every word, that there are so many ways to describe the same or similar things increases the chances a non-native will "stumble" on a useful vocabulary, broken as it might be, fairly quickly. And despite tons of exceptions and curious grammatical rules, English is none the less quite flexible and forgiving in sentence structure as far as brute communication goes - again improving the chances a non-native will be able to convey a cogent thought. The language can tollerate a high "signal-to-noise ratio".

This doesn't explain why English is emerging as a default global language (lots of economic, cultural and population distribution factors at play here) but it may help explain why it's done a fairly good job at being one.

Last edited by tincup on 2016-07-06, 01:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 222, by StSam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Errius wrote:

We're very close to human-like realtime computer voice translation. When that arrives, you'll be able to speak to anyone anywhere regardless of language. It's going to be interesting.

You'd be surprised...

Memento e-Sinu filo!

Reply 31 of 222, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

This doesn't explain why English is emerging as a default global language (lots of economic, cultural and population distribution factors at play here) but it may help explain why it's done a fairly good job at being one.

Very good observation Gargamel, I think I oversaw that in my post! Oh no I mean Doctor Zorglub!

Reply 33 of 222, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

Yes this seems to be the case. English has a huge vocabulary and a vast reservoir of idiomatic phrases compared to many other languages, and paradoxically this may help non-native speakers. Since it's not necessary to know every word, that there are so many ways to describe the same or similar things increases the chances a non-native will "stumble" on a useful vocabulary, broken as it might be, fairly quickly. And despite tons of exceptions and curious grammatical rules, English is none the less quite flexible and forgiving in sentence structure as far as brute communication goes - again improving the chances a non-native will be able to convey a cogent thought. The language can tollerate a high "signal-to-noise ratio".This doesn't explain why English is emerging as a default global language (lots of economic, cultural and population distribution factors at play here) but it may help explain why it's done a fairly good job at being one.

I've read and re-read many (just twice really) your text, I found it hard to read it thinking you are an European native and so you speak french naively and you are such an advocate of the English language.

I agree with what you say and I'm thankful that you somehow put in words what I had in mind.

Reply 34 of 222, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I use English, just as much as I use Danish, wich are my native language. For those two languages, I use a dictionary equally much.
My English is not pretty, nor is my Danish. And I would really suck at them both, when I had no dictionary.
That is, when I am explaining something in dept using eighter Danish or English. One could argue that both are my native language. 🤣

Then there is the German language. I can write and I can speak it. Though I have only spoken it once in the last 10 years.
I did however had a written conversation in german this year. It was short and not that much in dept.

To be honest. I think that the reason why English is so widely used today, are based on how large the English empire were 200 years ago.
Or it is just how things happened to play out globally. Yeah... An extremely large amount of factor's are at play here.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 35 of 222, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote:

what if the person used a translator ? I would feel like kind of a bit cheated.
My guess is that the english language is trying to make it's way as being something everyone on earth can understand and speak, so people are more into acceptation rather than reprehension. I am thinking the clash really is about the oriental way to communicate.

Even google translate have a hard time translating a sentence from English to Danish. Danish is one of those languages, that you really need to know how things are spoken and how you place the words. That is why all those translationprograms such as Cortana from Microsoft are not avaliable in Danish. Not even Apple has cracked the nut on these things. As an example, you can not directly translate something like a "head-on-collision" as it will be the danish equivilant of a real human head or something. Meaning that the train's heads on top of their neck's will collide. Yeah... That sounds stupid right? To make a sentence in English, wich can somehow be directly translated, you would write something like this: The trains, had a frontal collision, wich resulted in a horrible...... (and then more). That can be directly translated. Yet a lot of Danish journalists do these kind of error's whenever they are writing an article. They just directly translate that stuff.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 36 of 222, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:
tincup wrote:

Yes this seems to be the case. English has a huge vocabulary and a vast reservoir of idiomatic phrases compared to many other languages, and paradoxically this may help non-native speakers. Since it's not necessary to know every word, that there are so many ways to describe the same or similar things increases the chances a non-native will "stumble" on a useful vocabulary, broken as it might be, fairly quickly. And despite tons of exceptions and curious grammatical rules, English is none the less quite flexible and forgiving in sentence structure as far as brute communication goes - again improving the chances a non-native will be able to convey a cogent thought. The language can tollerate a high "signal-to-noise ratio".This doesn't explain why English is emerging as a default global language (lots of economic, cultural and population distribution factors at play here) but it may help explain why it's done a fairly good job at being one.

I've read and re-read many (just twice really) your text, I found it hard to read it thinking you are an European native and so you speak french naively and you are such an advocate of the English language.

I agree with what you say and I'm thankful that you somehow put in words what I had in mind.

actually I'am an american and nowhere near and european as you seem to think. Now I just did read your text once, I'll reread it once again now

Reply 37 of 222, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

damn. .. ! I've read and re-reread that ... I'm not sure I did write that... really ? can I be that good ? it's so perfect it look like it's from an publicity engine

Reply 39 of 222, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElBrunzy wrote:

actually I'am an american and nowhere near and european as you seem to think. Now I just did read your text once, I'll reread it once again now

I thought you were a Québécois. Technically part of North America, yes, but confusing to some who conflate America with United States of America. Am I on the right track?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder