VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking Fast'n'loud lately, and Aaron went into a race (Pikes Peak). That kind of races are not strange here in Spain (we've got Subida a Urbasa near home). To summarize: lots of curves, cornering, few and short straights.

There are many rally games but they usually run in "flat" tracks. Are there any tales that run on sloppy tracks (i.e. between 8 and 20% climb)?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That kind of racing is called "Hill Climb" in English. They are good fun 😀
(I've only raced against myself though in real life)
Screamer 4x4 kind of plays like that.
NFS Porsche had a few point to point tracks that kind of felt like a hill climb
Other rally games may have a hill climb stage in it, but cant think of any game that focuses on

Reply 3 of 8, by anthony

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pikes peak hill climbing exists in gran turismo6, as I remember, and in dirt series too. In rally simulators there are exists a lot of 3d stages, where road goes uphill and downhill. For example try famous ouninpohja stage

Reply 4 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Moto Racer has a fun southwestern desert track that has lots of curves and elevation changes. Reminds me of Radiator Springs.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 6 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quite a few hill climb (or sometimes spelled hillclimb) tracks have been released for Grand Prix Legends over the years. I don't know what sort of vehicle options you might have apart from F1 models.

Reply 7 of 8, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it was only that I didn't know of any stage/game that plays hill climb. Most stages are "flat", even if they have the curves of the real race.

Hill climb has some unique challenges... I've drove on some public roads (that are used for some races near home) and they must be hard to play in such games. As I said, there are lots of curves and straights are short, and going up usually means that you don't see what comes after the curve and you must play a lot with your gearbox (because speed lost on curves won't be easy to recover).

With normal traffic, there are curves that you must take at 30 kph (slower than 20 mph), because going faster means getting into the wrong side of the road or going out of the road. I can't imagine what's going on the head of racers.

leileilol wrote:

Plane Crazy 😜

I'd rather play Slipstream 5000.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 8 of 8, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Plane Crazy 😜

I'd rather play Slipstream 5000.

Wipeout has some ups and downs, Ignition and Megarace too. (but Plane Crazy is the most fun.. I can't resist bouncing off the water.. boing boing boing boom!)