VOGONS

Common searches

Brexit???

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure what the rule is with respect to politics in Milliways so if this is not appropriate delete/lock and PM me or whatever.

So I wake up this morning, check the news and find out London is no longer part of the EU? I don't really have any vested interest one way or another but the havoc it is playing with the world financial markets would cause me to worry if I was close to retiring.

What's further confusing is apparently some people in the UK when they found out about it basically said "wait, we voted for what?" upon finding out.

Reply 2 of 72, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The havoc that is going on in the markets is well deserved and it serves investors right as most are very timid to the extreme. As for voting to leave the EU is a great leap in the right direction towards being a free nation free from that bureaucratic nightmare, thousands of regulations for this and thousands more for that. So many regulations it is absurd, in printed form they take up huge bins!

Two years unless the deadline gets extended, I hope that more fallow so that the clock gets turned back on tyranny and hopefully a better economy down the road.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my perspective, I'm glad the UK had the brass balls to vote to leave the EU, as I was starting to see the signs of a superstate and the possibility that the EU would usurp power and remove autonomy from member states. That should frighten people, but I guess wanting freedom is too inconvenient for folks.

Reading about Brexit on reddit gives me cancer. The coverage is super one sided and the Remainers are extremely salty over this.

Perhaps some of our UK VOGONS members can chime in, like HighTreason? I believe he's based out of Hull, UK, which was a county that did vote to leave.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 6 of 72, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mattrock1988 wrote:

Reading about Brexit on reddit gives me cancer. The coverage is super one sided and the Remainers are extremely salty over this.

I think they have a right to be salty, the outcome was so close (52% to 48% last I checked) that it's more like mob rule than democracy, and the real tangible outcomes are likely going to be more hard-hitting to the demographics that voted to remain, than to the (apparently) high % of leave voters who are retirees.

I live on the other side of the planet, so the effects remain to be seen. If resource companies like Rio Tinto are impacted by fallout in the financial world, then jobs here are likely to suffer.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:
mattrock1988 wrote:

I think they have a right to be salty, the outcome was so close (52% to 48% last I checked) that it's more like mob rule than democracy, and the real tangible outcomes are likely going to be more hard-hitting to the demographics that voted to remain, than to the (apparently) high % of leave voters who are retirees.

I live on the other side of the planet, so the effects remain to be seen. If resource companies like Rio Tinto are impacted by fallout in the financial world, then jobs here are likely to suffer.

Not putting words in your mouth, but I get the impression that we should just throw the baby out with the bathwater and screw democracy, because people chose wrongly. *shrugs*

I guarantee you, your statement wouldn't even be uttered if Remain won by even 0.5%. It's only mob rule if the wrong side wins. This is a risk with democracy. Sometimes it goes your way, and sometimes it doesn't.

Mob rule my ass. Both sides played dirty here, but the majority have spoken.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2

Reply 9 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

I am a strong proponent of a US/EU/CA/AU/NZ union. That would truly make life great for European civilization. 😈

That sounds frightening.

Reply 10 of 72, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If Britain leaves the single market it will make buying/selling computer stuff across Europe more difficult. OTOH, Norway and Switzerland aren't in the EU but are still members of the market, so the two aren't necessarily connected.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 72, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's beginning to look like the end of the UK...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 12 of 72, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mattrock1988 wrote:

Not putting words in your mouth, but I get the impression that we should just throw the baby out with the bathwater and screw democracy, because people chose wrongly. *shrugs*

Sometimes, yeah, I think democracy is a shitty idea in the face of how uneducated and popularity-contest-focussed the electors have become.

I think that following any concept as an absolute is dangerous. Just because a concept is ideologically sound, doesn't mean the outcomes are better.

In this case, I think a margin of <10% should have at least prompted a second poll following some further public consultation, particularly when it's a YES/NO question, and the fallout is likely to be so immense.

mattrock1988 wrote:

I guarantee you, your statement wouldn't even be uttered if Remain won by even 0.5%. It's only mob rule if the wrong side wins. This is a risk with democracy. Sometimes it goes your way, and sometimes it doesn't.

I will repeat for your benefit that I don't live there, I have no immediate stake in the outcome. I've only followed it as a curiosity. I would probably be commenting on the "leave" people's saltiness if the outcome was reversed.

mattrock1988 wrote:

Mob rule my ass. Both sides played dirty here, but the majority have spoken.

When one half of a population gets to dictate how the other half live, yeah, that's mob rule.

It's why first-past-the-post voting for parliament/congress elections is such a shitty idea.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So out of curiosity, what system would you prefer?

At any rate... the results would have been far different if the youth vote actually showed up to the voting booths in greater numbers, which is what seems to be a reason why Brexit ended up winning. Some regions had only 70% turnout, with most of the percentage of no-vote no-show types being in a younger demographic, probably because they feel the political process is lame.

Reply 14 of 72, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am glad they finally made it. People just got tired of all the bull crap. And no, it's actually the beginning of good old days for Britain. They will do much better, but it will take some time. More countries will follow.

Last edited by Dreamer_of_the_past on 2016-06-25, 05:49. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 72, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm a firm believer that once you elected your leaders they should do that and not ask (waste time) again and again whether their direction is correct.
As seen in this case the level of misinformation was immense and deliberate. And referendum like these seem to me not actually being yes or no but "do you like the current leader?". That the google top UK trends a day after the vote are "what is the EU?" and "what happens if the UK leaves the EU" is a testament to this IMO. People that were saying "I vote Brexit, but don't worry we will remain!" or "I regret my Brexit vote now!" another.

Throwing away an investment of over four decades is crazy IMO.

But oh well, ordering online from the UK now. All UK shops have a big involuntary sale now for non-UK people!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 72, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I keep reading people getting cheap UK stuff due to the GBP/EUR deal but I have yet to find these deals... how do you people pay? PayPal does not offer a great exchange rate, what do I miss?

As for the matter at hand, I believe UK will have a little turbulence at first but they will fully recover , we are not talking about a joke country...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 72, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume it will become like buying from the U.S. - Europeans who buy computer hardware from the U.S. must pay (I think) 20-30% of the price in import duties. (I don't know if this includes the postal price.)

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 72, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for one it seems a good symbolic move from people wanting a change of direction, even if the whole thing is abandoned before something happens;
then again i expect this will throw the region i live in back into the stone age again, especially since people here are such wanna-be-rightist jerks;