VOGONS

Common searches

Brexit???

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 72, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There has been a lot of talk about why to leave. Actually...
Now that Scotland and Ireland want their independency, I am super excited how them British nationalists are going to take it.
After all... They have talked about the right to decide and about democracy. Now let's see their faces, when someone else
want to have these rights and exercise their right to decide. Yeah.... Brig out the popcorn. 🤣 Gonna be sweet to watch.

After all...
It was the young brits that wanted to stay. The Scottish and Irish people wanted to stay.
It was only the elder Brits that wanted to leave... Don't know... I see a pattern here.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 41 of 72, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The younger people want to stay in the EU for the simple reason they can move around the other countries for jobs their native lands lack. The older generation has made their money and they just want to keep immigrants from Muslim nations out of what is mostly a white Christian country.

If Scotland and Ireland want to leave good luck to them as I don't think the EU will last for more then another decade or more. Simple reason is without a powerful central government these unions never work out because of nationalism. The United States went through this with individual states when it was formed. The power of the states had to be crushed for the system to work out. As long as each country has its own government and military you will have them leaving whenever something comes along they don't agree with (immigration being the one that is unpopular now).

None of Europe integrates foreigners very well, and those people don't get decent jobs. With global warming most of Africa and the middle east will be leaving their native lands and heading to Europe taking their petty differences with them. Europe is shrinking because of low birth rate (same in the US actually). What the EU will find is sooner or later all these legal immigrants will be citizens that will take over and rebuild Europe in their own image.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 42 of 72, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a young person (millennial) I still wouldn't sell my soul or give up my national sovereignty just to get a job, the EU is a bureaucratic super state that isn't accountable to anyone and that should have been enough to scare anyone but clearly it isn't.

Forget the past and remember nothing!

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 43 of 72, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am not that worried for Denmark.
Our constitution can not be changed that easy. It has to be discussed and voted three times in the Danish parlament, then the changes to it has to be set up for the people to vote. And finally, the queen has to sign it, after making shure that any change does not conflict with it.

The queen or the king has to sign any new law, making shure that law is not conflicting with the constitution.

Basically speaking..... Denmark can not be changed that dramatically, as you are trying to put it.

Speaking of change. They have talked about possible tax-cuts here in Denmark. And the experts have said that we are in the
middle of a baby-boom these years. As to why the "tax-buffer" is a good thing to have. The rightwing want to use the buffer
for tax cuts, the leftwing want to keep the buffer because of that baby-boom, and the boom in number of elders the next 10 years
or something like that. You know.... I go for the leftwing proposal. Better have some saving's when the shit hits the fan.

And so... There is no need to look at the future in a grim way.

Reply 44 of 72, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, looks like Boris has decided that there won't be a Brexit after all:

Boris Johnson says the UK will continue to "intensify" cooperation with the EU and tells his fellow Leave supporters they must a […]
Show full quote

Boris Johnson says the UK will continue to "intensify" cooperation with the EU and tells his fellow Leave supporters they must accept the 52-48 referendum win was "not entirely overwhelming".

The pro-Leave campaign head, says "the only change" will be to free the country from the EU's "extraordinary and opaque" law, which "will not come in any great rush".

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, he dismisses Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon's calls for a second independence referendum, insisting he does not "detect any real appetite" for one.

And, he says, Britain can now have a "new and better" relationship with the EU based on free trade.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

I will be highly surprised if this actually works. If the EU does agree to a better deal with the UK after the Brexit vote, they too are shooting themselves in the head (Brittain already has).

Reply 45 of 72, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah..... It's even in the Danish news now, that a lot of voters have asked if they can change their vote from leave to stay.
The reason being, that they have voted in protest of EU, firmley convinced that the outcome would be "stay".

Reply 47 of 72, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Well, looks like Boris has decided that there won't be a Brexit after all: […]
Show full quote

Well, looks like Boris has decided that there won't be a Brexit after all:

Boris Johnson says the UK will continue to "intensify" cooperation with the EU and tells his fellow Leave supporters they must a […]
Show full quote

Boris Johnson says the UK will continue to "intensify" cooperation with the EU and tells his fellow Leave supporters they must accept the 52-48 referendum win was "not entirely overwhelming".

The pro-Leave campaign head, says "the only change" will be to free the country from the EU's "extraordinary and opaque" law, which "will not come in any great rush".

Writing in the Daily Telegraph, he dismisses Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon's calls for a second independence referendum, insisting he does not "detect any real appetite" for one.

And, he says, Britain can now have a "new and better" relationship with the EU based on free trade.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-36570120

I will be highly surprised if this actually works. If the EU does agree to a better deal with the UK after the Brexit vote, they too are shooting themselves in the head (Brittain already has).

To be fair, it's hardly 'shooting yourself in the head' if you do something good, and the vote to leave was definitely for the best. The stupid decision would have been to stay tethered to the EU.

Granted we still are, to some degree, and no politician looks too willing to get the ball rolling, but ultimately history will show this decision to have been the right one.

Reply 48 of 72, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Yeah..... It's even in the Danish news now, that a lot of voters have asked if they can change their vote from leave to stay.
The reason being, that they have voted in protest of EU, firmley convinced that the outcome would be "stay".

They must be very stupid, asking if they can change their vote, post-referendem, all the more so if they change their mind after just one day. And saying it was a protest vote is no excuse - if you believed the In vote was right, then they wouldn't have voted Out as a protest.

At least those voters who voted IN, and then post referendum wanted the election to take place again were being true to form - they were ignoring democracy by demanding a new referendum, which perfectly reflected their desire to stay in a non-democratic organisation like the EU.

There were intelligent reasons to vote to stay in , such as if you were wealth and your wealth was in any way connected to the EU, or if you liked the ease of travel, but for most British people, voting Out made far more sense. Sadly, too many were swept up in the hype and the "If you vote Out then you're an ignorant racist" rants, and when the In party (justly) lost, they further demonstrated their contempt for both the will of the people and the fate of the British people by demanding the referendum be redone.

Anyway, whatever happens now, the politicians and bankers will get richer, the poor will see little positive change to their lives, and we'll still be governed by an out of touch elite who live in a very different world from the one we have to live in. But at least the Out vote should make some small improvements overall. Otherwise it's all been for nothing.

Reply 50 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

As a young person (millennial) I still wouldn't sell my soul or give up my national sovereignty just to get a job, the EU is a bureaucratic super state that isn't accountable to anyone and that should have been enough to scare anyone but clearly it isn't.

Speaking of youth employment. In the EU, it's nearly 15%. That's astonishing to me.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/ … -jobless-figure

But yes, let's remain in the EU, despite these figures. The definition of insanity is to persist or do the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 51 of 72, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mattrock1988 wrote:
Speaking of youth employment. In the EU, it's nearly 15%. That's astonishing to me. […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:

Speaking of youth employment. In the EU, it's nearly 15%. That's astonishing to me.

But yes, let's remain in the EU, despite these figures. The definition of insanity is to persist or do the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

I just hope that the whole thing fails even at the expense of the economy because where that experiment is going never ends well. I don't like where things are going state side either and if I had the money I would have already left. New Zealand and Australia are very attractive places to get a fresh start (something most young people need anyway) plus I am a big fan of the landscapes all around New Zealand and would love to live there someday.

Economically the west is dead in its current form and it isn't because capitalism failed but the mixture of cultural Marxism is deeply ingrained in our current culture, politics, and education. I see no happy ending and frankly it is going to end very horribly for everyone.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 52 of 72, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mattrock1988 wrote:

Unemployment among youth is high in Canada, the United States, and Australia. It's a larger problem than any one country.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 53 of 72, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:
mattrock1988 wrote:

Unemployment among youth is high in Canada, the United States, and Australia. It's a larger problem than any one country.

That's one of major reasons why things like Brexit happens. Corporations are responsible for high unemployment rates and governments for doing nothing. People eventually just get tired of all the bs.

Reply 54 of 72, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ehhh as a youth myself (yeah I put myself back in why thank you) I refuse to put the blame elsewhere. I take responsibility for myself.

Just lower the damn taxes for startups (I see Greece likes to make a joke on that one) and make it easy to start a business! If you govs can't give us that, we'll go somehere else. 😀

Chile, Estonia and some other countries with great startup policies and programs shall win in the long term.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 55 of 72, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

That's one of major reasons why things like Brexit happens. Corporations are responsible for high unemployment rates and governments for doing nothing. People eventually just get tired of all the bs.

The demographics of Brexit are at odds with your conclusion. Youth overwhelmingly supported remaining in the EU.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 56 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:

The demographics of Brexit are at odds with your conclusion. Youth overwhelmingly supported remaining in the EU.

Which is interesting to me, since young people have no notion of their country outside of the EU, since such affiliations go as far back as the early 70s. I think the reason baby boomers mostly took the leave vote is due to the fact that they know what a pre-EU UK is like and that the status quo is unsatisfactory. The youth haven't lived long enough to understand long term ramifications of damage being caused by the EU.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2

Reply 58 of 72, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's more the notion of old people that they can turn back time. You can't. Things have changed and won't turn back.
But this whole thread is useless anyway since there won't be a brexit after all.
The brexit leaders double back on their promises (putting money they save back into health care (350 Million a week of which half came back anyway), immigration...) and are suddenly not eager to leave anymore). EU members are pushing for the Brexit though, mostly to be able to do stuff now rather than having to wait for the UK to make their move. The notion of some UK politicians that they can push for better membership terms now is also moot. The outcome weakened their position now, the whole holding the referendum weakened it.
Threatening to take a referendum was kind of working, but now it's done and the EU won't waken itself anymore than it already has...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 59 of 72, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:
It's more the notion of old people that they can turn back time. You can't. Things have changed and won't turn back. But this wh […]
Show full quote

It's more the notion of old people that they can turn back time. You can't. Things have changed and won't turn back.
But this whole thread is useless anyway since there won't be a brexit after all.
The brexit leaders double back on their promises (putting money they save back into health care (350 Million a week of which half came back anyway), immigration...) and are suddenly not eager to leave anymore). EU members are pushing for the Brexit though, mostly to be able to do stuff now rather than having to wait for the UK to make their move. The notion of some UK politicians that they can push for better membership terms now is also moot. The outcome weakened their position now, the whole holding the referendum weakened it.
Threatening to take a referendum was kind of working, but now it's done and the EU won't waken itself anymore than it already has...

On that point on the £350 million pound NHS investment, I will admit that the Leave campaign took something that was an advisory and made it out to be fact, whilst advertising it on double decker buses and the like. That definitely stretched the truth. There was also the usage of company brands, like Nissan, ALDI, Volkswagen, etc on Leave brochures, giving the impression those companies backed Brexit, when in fact they didn't say one way or another. Nissan even threatened a lawsuit over the misleading suggestion.

That being said, regarding the £350 million, that will go towards programs and services needed in the UK, including NHS, just not exclusively NHS.