VOGONS

Common searches

Brexit???

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 60 of 72, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

It's more the notion of old people that they can turn back time.

Yes, because you know, there was a precise 1:1 correlation between age and vote. Much like the media's mission is pristine truth and objectivity 😁

These blithe generalizations tell us nothing about the issue at hand, although they *are* useful in teaching us about the cultural mindsets that think them up. Most sane civilizations pay more respect to "old people" and to their wisdom and life-experience; only in the West, continually obsessed with running away from its own shadow (even if it's running off the nearest cliff), there is somehow more weight and importance afforded to the wishy-washy, emotionally-based impulses of youth. This, despite the fact that each successive generation is demonstrably less responsible, less self-reliant, less informed and less aware than the one before.

I have no personal interest in the outcome of Brexit either way, but all the observation is proving quite educational. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 61 of 72, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I was mostly replying to

Which is interesting to me, since young people have no notion of their country outside of the EU, since such affiliations go as far back as the early 70s. I think the reason baby boomers mostly took the leave vote is due to the fact that they know what a pre-EU UK is like and that the status quo is unsatisfactory. The youth haven't lived long enough to understand long term ramifications of damage being caused by the EU.

to which your 1:1 comment applies as well 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 63 of 72, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

Yes, because you know, there was a precise 1:1 correlation between age and vote. Much like the media's mission is pristine truth and objectivity 😁

These blithe generalizations tell us nothing about the issue at hand, although they *are* useful in teaching us about the cultural mindsets that think them up. Most sane civilizations pay more respect to "old people" and to their wisdom and life-experience; only in the West, continually obsessed with running away from its own shadow (even if it's running off the nearest cliff), there is somehow more weight and importance afforded to the wishy-washy, emotionally-based impulses of youth. This, despite the fact that each successive generation is demonstrably less responsible, less self-reliant, less informed and less aware than the one before.

I have no personal interest in the outcome of Brexit either way, but all the observation is proving quite educational. 😉

QFT

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 64 of 72, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

despite the fact that each successive generation is demonstrably less responsible, less self-reliant, less informed and less aware than the one before.

VileRancour wrote:

True, it does... also aware of the irony in the fact that I was generalizing pretty heavily as well; guess it goes both ways 😜

A sage is born in every generation.

I see physical age as irrelevant when it comes to wisdom and general savvyness at being human.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 66 of 72, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, been watching this thread and all the regurgitated dribble that was thrown around for people to believe, and now I have to say something. I thought people would have more intelligence than that, but given the result, it is worrying that we in the UK are not.

Wow 350 million, do you know what the NHS budget spending was for 2015? Please look it up and then tell me if you think 350, 000, 000 would help? TL;DR It was ~115 billion... so look what we have pissed away because we want an extra 0.3% cash to be spent (which is now obvious we won't be getting it now anyway) on an NHS.. do you think it will make a difference?

I can't believe people even talk about this not even happening, even if it did it wouldn't make a spot of difference on the NHS budget. ITs this kind of blatent lying and over-exageration which has captured the brexit vote. Without falling fallacy of Ad-Hominen, if people stopped for two mins and did the slightest bit of research on the facts, the result may be very different.

This is not what our grandparents fought for... not a UK isolated from a Europe, so many lost their lives to fight fascism, and now we have grown it ourselves with a massive bottle of baby bio under the guise of reclaiming power which wasn't taken from us in the first place. And in turn stuck the middle finger up to our friends. How embarrassing for us... seriously.

I applaud the brexit voters for pissing away the future because of a naive protest vote. And Cameron for even opening up a battle field which should not have been touched.... Johnson for picking the wrong time for a power struggle and now the EU telling us to leave, which given the current climate is the best thing we can do now, and very quickly....so very disappointed in my fellow neighbours right now. 🙁

Noticed how gutted Johnson is that he won? Strange eh? It's because he didn't think he would win, he didn't want UK out of EU, he was just trying the flex some muscle it preparation of the next election which when it comes around, he thought we would still be in the EU! All manipulative political games for personal gain and not in the interests of the country.

This whole thing is a right balls-up, politically, socially, economically... and now xenophobic fascism is erupting all over the country side.

Funny how an EU that govern us, have been trying to take the UK to court for "0-hour contracts" (those outside UK might want to look that onw up). Why would the evil EU, give a shit about us exploiting our own workers rights? Since they control us, why don't they just MAKE us do it?

I suppose all this naivety which is rampant though our nation must be because of the EU implemented Academies in our education system. It must be all that 350,000,000 that we should have pumped into our infrastructure for the past 40 years... well now we are free, lucky fecking us. Please feel free to look up the rest of the UK budget for the past 10 years and tell me if 350,000,000 will make a difference, to anything... P.S the banks, which will now have free-run to fuck us over again (remember 2008?) avoided approx. 140 billion last year in tax.... that would pay for the NHS no? but wait lucky us being in control of our own destiny.

Yes I am angry, what pisses me off even more is that I am angry at my neighbours... I don't believe many realised the gravity of the situation, which is extremely sad they went into the polling station without this comprehension.

The one good thing that has come out of all this is Cameron going.... all the sleeze in Pananma couldn't rid him, yet in the end an indirect vote did.

Also the irony of the government petition currently under way. 3.5 million people signing to try and get a second referendum, so probably REMAIN camp... what's funny, is that is was started by a LEAVE voter because he was worried that LEAVE would loose... when I stop crying about the situation, I might find this amusing.

No doubt we will be ok in the end, we always seem to be... I suspect we have got 6+ years of absolute agony ahead of us now though, and all that will be done is in-fighting with even more scape goating. Don't be under any illusion that because we have voted, that's it now....divorces are not fun.

Reply 67 of 72, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote:
Sorry, been watching this thread and all the regurgitated dribble that was thrown around for people to believe, and now I have t […]
Show full quote

Sorry, been watching this thread and all the regurgitated dribble that was thrown around for people to believe, and now I have to say something. I thought people would have more intelligence than that, but given the result, it is worrying that we in the UK are not.

Wow 350 million, do you know what the NHS budget spending was for 2015? Please look it up and then tell me if you think 350, 000, 000 would help? TL;DR It was ~115 billion... so look what we have pissed away because we want an extra 0.3% cash to be spent (which is now obvious we won't be getting it now anyway) on an NHS.. do you think it will make a difference?

I can't believe people even talk about this not even happening, even if it did it wouldn't make a spot of difference on the NHS budget. ITs this kind of blatent lying and over-exageration which has captured the brexit vote. Without falling fallacy of Ad-Hominen, if people stopped for two mins and did the slightest bit of research on the facts, the result may be very different.

This is not what our grandparents fought for... not a UK isolated from a Europe, so many lost their lives to fight fascism, and now we have grown it ourselves with a massive bottle of baby bio under the guise of reclaiming power which wasn't taken from us in the first place. And in turn stuck the middle finger up to our friends. How embarrassing for us... seriously.

I applaud the brexit voters for pissing away the future because of a naive protest vote. And Cameron for even opening up a battle field which should not have been touched.... Johnson for picking the wrong time for a power struggle and now the EU telling us to leave, which given the current climate is the best thing we can do now, and very quickly....so very disappointed in my fellow neighbours right now. 🙁

Noticed how gutted Johnson is that he won? Strange eh? It's because he didn't think he would win, he didn't want UK out of EU, he was just trying the flex some muscle it preparation of the next election which when it comes around, he thought we would still be in the EU! All manipulative political games for personal gain and not in the interests of the country.

This whole thing is a right balls-up, politically, socially, economically... and now xenophobic fascism is erupting all over the country side.

Funny how an EU that govern us, have been trying to take the UK to court for "0-hour contracts" (those outside UK might want to look that onw up). Why would the evil EU, give a shit about us exploiting our own workers rights? Since they control us, why don't they just MAKE us do it?

I suppose all this naivety which is rampant though our nation must be because of the EU implemented Academies in our education system. It must be all that 350,000,000 that we should have pumped into our infrastructure for the past 40 years... well now we are free, lucky fecking us. Please feel free to look up the rest of the UK budget for the past 10 years and tell me if 350,000,000 will make a difference, to anything... P.S the banks, which will now have free-run to fuck us over again (remember 2008?) avoided approx. 140 billion last year in tax.... that would pay for the NHS no? but wait lucky us being in control of our own destiny.

Yes I am angry, what pisses me off even more is that I am angry at my neighbours... I don't believe many realised the gravity of the situation, which is extremely sad they went into the polling station without this comprehension.

The one good thing that has come out of all this is Cameron going.... all the sleeze in Pananma couldn't rid him, yet in the end an indirect vote did.

Also the irony of the government petition currently under way. 3.5 million people signing to try and get a second referendum, so probably REMAIN camp... what's funny, is that is was started by a LEAVE voter because he was worried that LEAVE would loose... when I stop crying about the situation, I might find this amusing.

No doubt we will be ok in the end, we always seem to be... I suspect we have got 6+ years of absolute agony ahead of us now though, and all that will be done is in-fighting with even more scape goating. Don't be under any illusion that because we have voted, that's it now....divorces are not fun.

That future was already pissed away by the baby boombers back in the 70s and 80s, voting to leave won't roll back the damage they have already done. Western civilization in its current from is dying and this is just another warning sign that we are getting closer to the end. People need to stop being so selfish and just take the economic hit so future generations won't have to grow up under a police state and just get it over already!

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 69 of 72, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PeterLI wrote:

IMO not letting the entire world take over your country is common sense and self preservation. Very understandable and not fascist / xenophobic.

Exactly but Gen X and my generation (millennial) has been indoctrinated to think that it is. Wanting to preserve a unique nation and culture isn't xenophobic it is just natural.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 70 of 72, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
PeterLI wrote:

IMO not letting the entire world take over your country is common sense and self preservation. Very understandable and not fascist / xenophobic.

The ENTIRE world...
In that fashion, colonizing most of the world, destroying other countries culture and then whining about immigrants...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 71 of 72, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spiroyster, I don't know if you're trolling or what, but assuming your post was serious;

1. The 350 million wouldn't change the NHS much. No one said it did (funny how you Outers never address the real issues...). But it's better spent on the NHS than being given to the corrupt EU.

2. We haven't "pissed away the future". Why do you In voters, who long to be under the EU's control, however unfair and undemocratic, have to totally misrepresent everything in such a sad attempt to make it look like you and only you understand the situation? You never saw many Out voters doing this, though admittedly we Outers didn't need to resort to hyperboly, since we had logic and common sense on our side.

3. You say:

"This is not what our grandparents fought for... not a UK isolated from a Europe, so many lost their lives to fight fascism, and now we have grown it ourselves with a massive bottle of baby bio under the guise of reclaiming power which wasn't taken from us in the first place. And in turn stuck the middle finger up to our friends. How embarrassing for us... seriously."

which is disgusting. You are reduced to lying through your teeth, like all bitter losers who know they're fighting against the truth. First of all, our grandparents fought against undemocratic control, which is the definition of the EU. Secondly, if power wasn't taken from us, then why aren't we allowed to control out own borders? Thirdly, voting in our best interests was not 'the middle finger up to our friends'.

Just face it, right or wrong, you lost, so stop the petty complaining and name calling. We can only move on, so let's do so.

Yes, those of us that want Britain to improve took a chance when we voted Out, but we believe it's worth taking, as the alternative is neither right nor fair to the vast majority of the British people. Granted we're still at the mercy of the politicians, but it is at least possible for things to improve, unlike if we were still shackled to the EU.

Anyway, I'd done in this thread. There's nothing to be gained by arguing the toss , and neither side will convince the other, and will all due respect, Spiroyster, your attitude and assumed superiority stinks.