Common searches

Top hardware by year

Topic actions

First post, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone know of any resource that outlines the top hardware for a given year? If not, can we perhaps create and share such a document? I think it would be a good resource for people building period-correct systems, and it would be great just for the nostalgic trip down memory lane. And who doesn't like talking about retro hardware??! Maybe we could even link to a review (archive.org) (or pictures) for some of the items?

This would be almost like the "PC Part Picker" for retro systems.

For example, for a given year (1990+?) list out some options (shared spreadsheet perhaps)?

*Motherboard (Brand/Model/Formfactor/Chipset)
*Processor (Brand/Model/Speed/Socket)
*Video Card (2D) (Brand/Model/Memory)
*Video Card (3D) (Brand/Model/Memory)
*Sound Card (Brand/Model/Memory/Interface)
*Sound Module/Synth (Brand/Model)
*Sound Card (Daughterboard) (Brand/Model)
*Hard Drive (Make/Model/Size/Speed/Interface)
*Hard Drive Controller (Optional)
*Optical Drive (CD/CD-RW - DVD/DVD-RW/Interface/Speed)
*Memory (Size/Brand/Speed/Formfactor)
*Peripherals (Game Controllers, Mouse, Keyboard, etc.)
*Monitor (Brand/Model/Size/Resolution)

Thoughts?

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 2 of 76, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FaSMaN wrote:

Best would probably be to scower old magazine scans on google books , normally the December issues have a recap with an outline of best hardware.

Yep, I'm aware of that but I was looking for a more central repository where anyone could simply look at a given year and find all the relevant hardware of the time period without scouring through on-line copies of magazines like Maximum PC, etc. We could certainly leverage those to build this out, but I guess I'm looking for a more optimal way to aggregate this data.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 3 of 76, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like a good Google Sheets project for someone. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 76, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you google search for a specific piece of hardware and put release date after it, it should bring up wikipedia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_P … microprocessors even shows pricing for that year, motherboards on the other hand are a little harder.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 5 of 76, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

we cold just start listing what we kno and can find and i can put it all together in a spreed sheet basically like the wiki link above, what would be a go universal format to use, i have both office 2016 and libreoffice

Reply 6 of 76, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Needs to be a Google Docs thing like the game speed compatibility list.
Sounds like a awesome idea, I can start the spreadsheet if necessary 😀

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 76, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im working on the p3 list if someone else wants to do the p2

Reply 8 of 76, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent thoughts everyone. I agree that a Google Docs thing would probably work the best for sharing purposes. If someone wants to start the sheet and propose an easy-to-read format, we can then start adding hardware info. I've tried finding something like this for awhile now and always resorted to random Google searches, archived magazines, old reviews, etc. I think this can be a great benefit to the community so I'm excited that others are buying into the idea as well.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9 of 76, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is somewhat country specific. I can already think of h/w that someone might consider as the best of 199x and then someone else popping up claiming that x wasn't available until x+1 for example.

Reply 10 of 76, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, what if the "top hardware" for any given year isn't the same as the best-supported hardware used by most of the games being released? There is surely some "top hardware" that might have been technically superior in some regards but just wasn't popular enough at the time of its release to be useful.

Reply 11 of 76, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Also, what if the "top hardware" for any given year isn't the same as the best-supported hardware used by most of the games being released? There is surely some "top hardware" that might have been technically superior in some regards but just wasn't popular enough at the time of its release to be useful.

Can you provide an example? I want to make sure I'm understanding your point.

For example, 1998 was a landmark year because of the release of the 3DFX Voodoo2. It was the 'must-have' card (especially the 12MB version) for that year. I'm sure there were some other cards released in 98 that weren't quite as powerful, and I don't care if we list those as well. But for each year we know there are at least 1 or 2 major pieces of hardware released that were the most popular. I think if we can at least gather the info and get it into the sheet, we can certainly go back and make judgement calls on what should or should not be in there.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 12 of 76, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

For example, 1998 was a landmark year because of the release of the 3DFX Voodoo2. It was the 'must-have' card (especially the 12MB version) for that year.

But was the Voodoo2 the best choice for games being released in 1998 specifically?

I'm sure there were some other cards released in 98 that weren't quite as powerful, and I don't care if we list those as well.

In that case the list quickly expands in scope to the point where it lacks clear meaning.

But for each year we know there are at least 1 or 2 major pieces of hardware released that were the most popular.

So instead of "top hardware", now it's "most popular" hardware?

Reply 13 of 76, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I appreciate your input Jorpho. I don't want to over-complicate this, and am wide open to suggestions. I posed the idea as a way for folks new to the hobby to get their feet wet when searching for parts for a period-specific build. And for the larger group of enthusiasts out there, I figured it would just be a great reference to see what was out there for specific years. My original thought was to only list the top hardware - and after saying that I guess that is probably too subjective. I know that when I choose parts for a year-specific build, I aim to find the highest performing (and often times most expensive) hardware for the time. Parts that were widely known, widely popular, and most impactful at the the time.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 14 of 76, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1998 is tricky. This is where that solid TNT card comes in which is pretty powerful (and pretty clear and futureproof), but then again there is the Glide API stranglehold on most games like Unreal where it'll only run best on a Voodoo2 (and that's even counting the Banshee later released that year)

and then there's those quantum3d monsters which would qualify as "best best"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 76, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I guess we're looking at "what, for X function, was the 'if you're rich and cool, you have this one' piece of hardware".

But sometimes that might be more than one piece of hardware, for instance in 1992 the "rich and cool" sound card combination might have been an SB16 + SC-55 or something. Or maybe just an Ultrasound, I don't know.

Reply 16 of 76, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So what if we generalize then. Instead of thinking about only the high end stuff, what if we just list out known hardware by year released? I was trying to narrow down the list to make it easier to reference, but again perhaps that approach is too subjective.

Something like this (Video cards as an example):

Video Cards:
*Rendition Verite V1000: Sierra Screamin 3D
*3DFX Voodoo: Orchid Righteous 3D (4MB)

Video Cards (3D):
*NEC/PowerVR: Matrox M3D
*Rendition Verite V2100: Diamond Stealth II S220
*Rendition Verite V2200: Hercules Thriller 3D 4MB/8MB PCI/AGP
*3DFX Voodoo: Diamond Monster 3D (4MB)

Video Cards (3D):
*3DFX: Diamond Monster 3D II (8/12MB), Orchid Righteous 3D II (8/12MB)

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 17 of 76, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here Is a list of processors for now, it contains dates and specs some dates are unknown.

Intel Pentium lll MMX, SSE Processor ------> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tBSoF … dit?usp=sharing

Intel Pentium Pro & Pentium ll Overdrive -----> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QAlbG … dit?usp=sharing

Intel Pentium Processor -----> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W4rSX … dit?usp=sharing

Maybe we can pull together a list of video cards similar to this layout.

Reply 18 of 76, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, well, here's a mockup of what it might look like:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Bhlr_ … dit?usp=sharing

What do you think? Should the video card section be split into 2D and 3D?

Each column holds the hardware that was released in each year, organized by how good it was, from top to bottom. Subjective of course, might need some work.

I put a couple things in the 1992 slot to demonstrate.

Does it look good or is this not what we're looking for?

Reply 19 of 76, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

keep the 2d and 3d cards together but just list but another column in that specifies weather its 2d or 3d, but keep the brands kinda together