Lost everything :(

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So today I woke up to a sad sight.

On my main rig, Drive D wasn't being detected.

Drive D holds all my ISO files, all my videos, all my pictures, all my drivers everything was on Drive D. It's a 2tb Internal, I had it all backed up to one drive but I lost that when Microsoft reduced onedrive to 1tb max from unlimited. I was planning to purchase a backup drive next month, but now its gone 🙁

Reply 1 of 43, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it powering/seen in BIOS ?
Because if not, it's possible that electronics failed (something on PCB), and the only thing you need to get data back is another disk similar yours (exchange PCB and you are golden).

I had similar thing happen to my Samsung HD502HJ (500GB) few years back.
Everything worked great (SMART and all), and one day, I power on PC, and my network disk is gone.
Good thing I got two of them for RAID0 (RAID0 was LOOONG gone when one of the drives failed).
I borrowed then my sister's second disk (I gave her one from RAID setup), exchanged their PCB's, and everything worked like nothing has happend on "bad" disk.
My sister's disk didn't worked, that's how I knew something on PCB was dead.
I lost 0 data, my sister got back her disk in few hours - working.

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-07-13, 18:18. Edited 2 times in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 2 of 43, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't do anything with it! Don't format it, don't copy on it.

Check Disk Management status of the drive - maybe it lost partition header. Also check SMART status with a program like HD Tune.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 3 of 43, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both suggestions offered are ones I was going to make-check its status in Disk Management and in the BIOS. What brand/model is the drive? If it's a Seagate, you can try SeaTools to see if it gives any clues about the drive's health. If the BIOS sees the drive, it's possible SpinRite or some other hdd maintenance/repair utility could help--but wait til you've exhausted all other options because if the drive is on its way out, the stress a repair utility puts on the drive could be enough to push it over the deep end. I've found a utility called photorec is pretty good at recovering files so long as you have a healthy destination big enough to recover them to.
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 43, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea I already tried to recover the partition, its got unreadable sectors suddenly and can't recover the partition.

I'm now transfering data with OSX to an external drive, but I'm not sure which data is currupt.

Reply 5 of 43, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

I'm now transfering data with OSX to an external drive, but I'm not sure which data is currupt.

PhotoRec can sometimes recover corrupted data.

PhotoRec first tries to find the data block (or cluster) size. If the file system is not corrupted, this value can be read from […]
Show full quote

PhotoRec first tries to find the data block (or cluster) size. If the file system is not corrupted, this value can be read from the superblock (ext2/ext3/ext4) or volume boot record (FAT, NTFS). Otherwise, PhotoRec reads the media, sector by sector, searching for the first ten files, from which it calculates the block/cluster size from their locations. Once this block size is known, PhotoRec reads the media block by block (or cluster by cluster). Each block is checked against a signature database which comes with the program and has grown in the type of files it can recover ever since PhotoRec's first version came out.

For example, PhotoRec identifies a JPEG file when a block begins with:

0xff, 0xd8, 0xff, 0xe0
0xff, 0xd8, 0xff, 0xe1
or 0xff, 0xd8, 0xff, 0xfe

If PhotoRec has already started to recover a file, it stops its recovery, checks the consistency of the file when possible and starts to save the new file (which it determined from the signature it found).

If the data is not fragmented, the recovered file should be either identical to or larger than the original file in size. In some cases, PhotoRec can learn the original file size from the file header, so the recovered file is truncated to the correct size. If, however, the recovered file ends up being smaller than its header specifies, it is discarded. Some files, such as *.MP3 types, are data streams. In this case, PhotoRec parses the recovered data, then stops the recovery when the stream ends.

When a file is recovered successfully, PhotoRec checks the previous data blocks to see if a file signature was found but the file wasn't able to be successfully recovered (that is, the file was too small), and it tries again. This way, some fragmented files can be successfully recovered.

Reply 7 of 43, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is why I limit data storage to pictures. Everything else is available online. I use Google Drive and DVD-RWs as backup media.

Some of my friends have TBs of data archived but never use any of it. Same with a friend who had 100s of CD-Rs with MP3s but rarely played them.

Reply 8 of 43, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I run a utility called DiskFresh as a scheduled task. All my big and/or important drives get run regularly. It reads and re-writes the data in each sector, keeping data fresh. It also reports if it has problems reading any sectors, which is handy if a drive is starting to go bad.

Reply 9 of 43, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

I had it all backed up to one drive but I lost that when Microsoft reduced onedrive to 1tb max from unlimited.

Crap like this is why I don't trust cloud storage. Even if you pay for the service, what happens if the firm goes bust, or gets hacked or sabotaged, or just decides to change the terms of service?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 43, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's for this very reason that I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to backing up my data.

I prefer local storage. Apart from having a D: Drive as well, I backup my data on two separate external hard drives and always keep them in sync (bit of a manual process, but it works for me).

Reply 11 of 43, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do the "by hand" sync method to a second drive as well with FastCopy. I try to sync any folder that I've worked on or added/altered data every few days. The backup drive is parked in the box so it benefits from maximum transfer speeds so it's pretty fast and painless. I also keep a "grab and run" external with the most critical stuff on it.

I just cycled through 2 of the notorious Seagate 3tb drives I bought without knowing how bad they were. Both failed within a year - luckily not at the same time and I was able to weave new drives in... Good Luck in you're data recovery!

Reply 12 of 43, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

the only thing you need to get data back is another disk similar yours (exchange PCB and you are golden).

thats very old knowledge and does not hold nowadays, might even be destructive

Reply 13 of 43, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, sometimes there's important drive data stored on the PCB that has to be copied off and restored to the new PCB.

I used http://www.onepcbsolution.com/ once. For a reasonable fee, they were nice enough to diagnose the PCB on a failing hard drive and then send it back to me – because, alas, the problem is apparently more serious. (I keep hoping an economical data restoration service will materialize somewhere or other, because I just can't justify spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to get the data off this particular drive.)

Reply 15 of 43, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's going to a clean room for recovery. The servo motor can't operate once the drive reaches operating temperature, the spindle stops spinning at that point. I can't afford to loose the data though

Reply 16 of 43, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrau wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

the only thing you need to get data back is another disk similar yours (exchange PCB and you are golden).

thats very old knowledge and does not hold nowadays, might even be destructive

Like I said, it was few years back (and HDD's were bought in 2008/2009 period).
Didn't know it doesn't work today (no problems with newer HDD's so far...).

its not a PCB issue, its a servo motor issue.

🙁

157143230295.png

Reply 17 of 43, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wife had this issue with a 3Tb Seagate drive. All her stuff was there.

I repaired the drive by removing the controller card and saw the contacts between the drive and the card turned green. Cleaning them helped.

Reply 19 of 43, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well some success now, i noticed the motor stops working when it gets to operating tempatures, so guess what I did.

Well I work in a university, so I have access to LN2. I don't think its gonna hit operating tempatures real fast atm 🤣