Common searches

Windows Vista...

Topic actions

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know Windows 7/8/8.1 and 10 all contain the horrible data mining and user spying updates. Does anyone know if Windows Vista is free from those bad features? It will become unsupported next year, but I will need to have a safe version of Windows to use for certain online tasks once Firefox and Avast antivirus no longer run on Windows XP. If not Vista, I will have to use an old unupdated version of Windows 7 from before they added data mining and spying updates to it.

Remember, only the paranoid can survive in these days of corrupt governments and mass surveillance.

Last edited by computergeek92 on 2016-07-15, 11:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 2 of 30, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use Zorin core Linux. Some of the software I use that connects to the Internet (such as download managers) only works on Windows.

Reply 3 of 30, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wouldn't completely disabling automatic updates in Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1 help to address some of your concerns?
You can then perhaps just perform a fresh install of Windows 7 and only (manually) apply the updates you want (and really need).

Reply 4 of 30, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have done that in the past with XP, Vista and 7 and have been ok with it. I never used Windows 8/8.1. I still use Windows XP today because I don't like the design changes that started with Vista. But like I said, I will move on when I have to. I'll use XP as my secondary OS as long as I can until then.

Reply 5 of 30, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem you will get in the future is that dose download managers also won't be updated for XP and Vista so they also stop working.

But I think there is always some Firefox spin-offs that are available for XP. Or don't upgrade to the latest firefox, as long as it is working. But time will tell if you need to upgrade your OS. I'm still using WIN98 and W2K some times and have the same problems browsing on the internet. But on my XP machine firefox is still working.

You know about the TOR browser?

Is your software not working whit WINE?

Reply 6 of 30, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computergeek92 wrote:

I have done that in the past with XP, Vista and 7 and have been ok with it. I never used Windows 8/8.1. I still use Windows XP today because I don't like the design changes that started with Vista. But like I said, I will move on when I have to. I'll use XP as my secondary OS as long as I can until then.

What "design changes" don't you like? The Start Menu and the theme?
You can perhaps try Classic Shell as a Start Menu replacement (I'm currently using version 4.1.0 on Windows 7, specifically to have a cascaded All Programs menu). It works great on Windows 8/8.1 and even on Windows 10 as well.
If you don't like the themes in Windows Vista or 7, then this can also fairly easy be changed to revert back to a more classic look (you can also just disable Aero, if that bothers you).

I'm using XP specifically for older games that were written when XP was the main OS (since some games sometimes have compatibility issues post XP and it's just easier for me to have a "period correct" PC with the correct operating system). I don't, however, use XP anymore as a daily "driver" to read mails or to browse the internet.

Reply 7 of 30, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman78 wrote:

You know about the TOR browser?

Is your software not working whit WINE?

I've used Tor before but it won't work on some sites. For confidential information I also would use Firefox Private Window or some online proxy site.

As for WINE:

YES!!!!!!! 😠 (please excuse me) I've had very poor software success in WINE. Only the software that came with the Play On Linux library works. I was able to get Microsoft Paint working and I think I might of had Office 2003 working too. None of my other software I tried myself worked.

Reply 8 of 30, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote:
What "design changes" don't you like? The Start Menu and the theme? You can perhaps try Classic Shell as a Start Menu replaceme […]
Show full quote
computergeek92 wrote:

What "design changes" don't you like? The Start Menu and the theme?
You can perhaps try Classic Shell as a Start Menu replacement (I'm currently using version 4.1.0 on Windows 7, specifically to have a cascaded All Programs menu). It works great on Windows 8/8.1 and even on Windows 10 as well.
If you don't like the themes in Windows Vista or 7, then this can also fairly easy be changed to revert back to a more classic look (you can also just disable Aero, if that bothers you).

I'm using XP specifically for older games that were written when XP was the main OS (since some games sometimes have compatibility issues post XP and it's just easier for me to have a "period correct" PC with the correct operating system). I don't, however, use XP anymore as a daily "driver" to read mails or to browse the internet.

I don't like the updated User Account Control and the software/hardware compatibility problems. Even with an Administrator account you can't even access certain files and folders because of the UCC. It's the owner's computer, so they should have the right to access everything on their PC. In Windows 7 I recall that the OS "forgot" the users login password and they were locked out of their account. This was a problem on two computers I serviced running Windows 7. It might also happen in Vista.

I don't mind the Aero theme, but I changed settings for the taskbar to make it function more like XP. On the bright side, Windows 7 has less problems with long file names compared to XP. That made it easier to back up my files temporarily when I was tinkering with my file server.

Reply 9 of 30, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually go into the UAC and drag the slider right down to the bottom (no warnings, etc.).
I then disable all warning messages related to UAC (the various security warnings) and finally I just go and "stop" the Security Center service and change it to Manual.
I also (for the Notification area), like to "show" all icons but, for System Icons, not to show the Action Center (since I've already disabled everything).
I still like the Quick Launch, so I always add it back in the Taskbar (this still works on Windows 10, but once Microsoft ditches IE completely, I fear that will be the end of the Quick Launch for me).
Due to having Quick Launch, I just "unpin" everything from my Taskbar.

Reply 10 of 30, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I leave UAC exactly where it is. I WANT to know if a program is asking for administrator permissions to mess around with Windows folders. This was a HUGE security fix from the Windows XP and earlier days where everything just had full rights to do anything it wanted on your PC without asking your permission first. People bitched about Windows Vista because of this...yet they ASKED for it when they kept bitching about how "easy" it was to get hacked on the Windows OSs. When you turn UAC off like that, how the hell do you know when a program is asking for (AND GETTING!) admin access to your Windows Registry or system folders and when it is not? I also had my Windows Updates to wait until I initiated them myself, but I tended to check about once a week. Now with Windows 10, I don't bother with checking as it will usually install them automatically. I like how there is less overhead with the updates now in 10 than there used to be in 7. Updates used to be able to bog a system down sometimes.
I always hated Quick Launch in Vista and later. In XP it was useful because you couldn't pin program launchers to the taskbar yet. I always turned off desktop widgets because I never found any of them useful. And in XP, I used to change the Control Panel list to All Items, but once I started messing around with Windows 7 in 2010, I made myself learn how categories were organized. Now, I find the All Items view too noisy and it takes too long to find the app I want, such as uninstalling programs. I always end up switching it back to Category view now just to be able to click the hot-link to uninstall programs in the bottom left. I know that Outlook Mail settings are under the Users category and that Java is under the Programs categories. I don't have to go looking for them, they are there.
What was slightly confusing at first was the changes in Windows 10. Updates are now under System Settings, not Control Panel. Also user account management happens there too. But it also makes sense if you stop and think about it. The System Settings window is also where you go to TURN OFF all the crap that runs in the background. I go in and I tell Windows to stop "getting to know me" so that it stops tracking my typing and websites I go to and stuff. I also don't like Cortana so I turn that off. Then I turn off web searches from that search bar because it ALWAYS uses BING and I've never had any good luck with Bing searches - I only use Google. So now that search bar only searches my PC locally for stuff. I then minimize it to a Search Icon so it doesn't take up space on my taskbar. I then remove 100% of the Start Menu icons and then put the ones I want there and arrange them. It quiets the noise and makes it a lot more useable.

Even with an Administrator account you can't even access certain files and folders because of the UCC. It's the owner's computer, so they should have the right to access everything on their PC.

This is where I have to disagree. Certain system folders and locations on your hard drive have been configured with SYSTEM as the owner and without user-level access permissions. You're exactly right that it's UAC locking you out of those files/folders, but that's for good reason. If it's blocking you, it's also blocking every other program that doesn't have SYSTEM (a.k.a. ROOT) level access, so a stupid Malware can't completely screw up Windows. But there are ways to get past those locks if you know what you are doing. For example, if you have Administrator rights on your account (where UAC asks Yes or No without prompting for a password), you can actually change the user permissions on that folder to give you access. Usually, you have to TAKE OWNERSHIP of the folder or file first before you can do that. Then you just add yourself as a user access level and then give yourself Full Control permissions. Then you will be able to enter the folder and see what's there. This seems awfully tedious, but again keep in mind it was done this way for a good reason and it probably means you're not supposed to be messing around in there or you could f*** up Windows. THEN you'd have a totally different problem....Windows not booting at all.

I AM the owner and I DO have access to everything on my PC. But some things I don't want ANYTHING ELSE to have access too, so if I have to put some effort into getting to it, I feel better because I know it's a more secure location on my HDD. Besides, why are you trying to dig into something like C:\Windows\WinSxS ? Did you drop some personal income tax forms in there or something? Seriously, if you want THAT much granular control over your OS, switch to an OS that lets you do that....like Linux. Go be a Linux fanboy. It's everyone trying to armwrestle Windows into doing something it was not designed to do that gets these Windows installations all screwed up in the first place. I've had more complaints about "slow computers" and I see they already tried using an off-the-shelf PC scanner software thing I've never heard of. I have to manually remove those software and all the registry entries they leave behind before Windows can finally take back control of the computer....and it magically starts running faster. Weird how that works, huh?

Of course, this is all talk about Windows Vista and up. I wasn't as well versed in Windows XP, Windows Me, Windows 2000, or Windows 98 before all that. But I will say that without all the security crap running on my old Win 98 box, it runs pretty fast and smooth on only a 350MHz processor with 128MB of RAM. (Yes, I know I rebuilt it with 256MB, shutup!)

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 12 of 30, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

don't be paranoid, google/apple gets more information everytime to make a phone call than windows will report to Microsoft.

Also Vista wont get support from 3rd parties after they stop XP support, look at Chrome and Vista, when XP supported ended so did Vista

vista makes up 1.21% of all web traffic

https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-syst … =10&qpcustomd=0

XP is still at 9%

Reply 13 of 30, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, no lie, Windows XP was a great operating system when you compare it to the relatively unstable Windows 9X systems that came before it. I never got a chance to use Windows 2000 so I cannot speak about it. But I know that MY copy of Windows 98 was more stable than my mother's Windows Me computer. Of course, I had a Windows XP desktop at the time myself. So when it came time in January 2009 for me to replace that old POS WinMe computer, I built a custom PC with Windows Vista in mind: Core 2 Duo 2.6GHz, 4GB of DDR2-800, and a discrete GeForce 8400GS card. That thing was super stable, relatively secure, and quite powerful for its time. I reused that processor in a refurbish PC I picked up for free that had a Celeron dual core go bad on it. It now runs Windows 10 Home 64-bit. I'm still looking for some 2GB DDR3 sticks that will work in there to bring it up to 4GB. Then it'll be a good little PC for someone to use.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 14 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just use Win7, like so many people in the world or if you are paranoid enough, then you should use one of many Linux distro's or one of the security oriented BSD's... Mind that by paranoid, I am not referring to those silverhat person's. I am thinking about "paranoid as in right to privacy in life" (no, not a free as in beer joke). Try this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-focuse … perating_system

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 15 of 30, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes we all deserve to have a right to privacy. The Constitution should matter. Those OS focused on security... As long as they are easy to set up and use. That is one of the reasons I chose Zorin Core over other distros I tried. But stay away from Zorin Ultimate and Zorin Lite. AFAIK Zorin Core gives pop-ups for system updates regularly, but Zorin Ultimate does not. You have to download every single update at once - manually. It sucks. Zorin Lite is far too trimmed down to be any good. Certain functions and programs don't work compared to Zorin Core. Only use Zorin Core.

Reply 16 of 30, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you have a smartphone? If you answer this whit yes, than everything is said 😊

But if you want to enter the dark side of the internet, than you probably right. The Security agencies of the world (mostly NSA, but also others) are collecting so much data they can't even handle. So as long as you only download some movies or pr0n, nobody cares.

But Windows 2000 is cool, I would say one of the best OS from Microsoft. Cool thing whit Win9x and 2000, I use those without Anti-virus software, well most of the internet sides are not working. Highest Firefox on Windows 2000 is 3.6.something. Windows ME is next to Vista and Windows 8 the more or less badly/crappy.

Reply 17 of 30, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brostenen wrote:

if you are paranoid enough, then you should use one of many Linux distro's or one of the security oriented BSD's...

And go through the source code of everything you install on your PC and compile everything yourself, starting from the Linux kernel... 😵

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 18 of 30, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zirkoni wrote:
brostenen wrote:

if you are paranoid enough, then you should use one of many Linux distro's or one of the security oriented BSD's...

And go through the source code of everything you install on your PC and compile everything yourself, starting from the Linux kernel... 😵

Yeah... That's for the super paranoid ones. Yet. If you know what you are dealing with, then why not?
One only need to know it how to do it. Learning from scratch, just the way we all learned from day one.
It might take 10 years, or more. Yet have we not all used tons of hour's, learning Windows and Dos?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19 of 30, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roman78 wrote:

Do you have a smartphone? If you answer this whit yes, than everything is said 😊

But if you want to enter the dark side of the internet, than you probably right. The Security agencies of the world (mostly NSA, but also others) are collecting so much data they can't even handle. So as long as you only download some movies or pr0n, nobody cares.

But Windows 2000 is cool, I would say one of the best OS from Microsoft. Cool thing whit Win9x and 2000, I use those without Anti-virus software, well most of the internet sides are not working. Highest Firefox on Windows 2000 is 3.6.something. Windows ME is next to Vista and Windows 8 the more or less badly/crappy.

I've never owned a Smartphone and I never plan to. I don't believe in cell phones. All I have is a cheap lifeline phone for emergencies, but I use my landline nearly all the time. I JUST HAVE TO BE THE MOST OLD SCHOOL PERSON ON THIS SITE! 😁 And i'm proud of it! 😊 They don't make people like me anymore...

2000's kernel is flaky crap in comparison to XP. On one win2k machine I simply pressed "cancel" before installing SP4, then I rebooted the computer. All of a sudden 2000 corrupted itself. "NTLDR is missing or some other mumbo/jumbo." Win2k fanboys, I have no idea what's wrong with you..... And Win98SE, don't get me started. Haha!