Common searches

Is DSL Linux dead?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 48, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To change DSL to Debian does not work for me, so no apt-get to Debian-archives. Beside that if I would go to Debian archives the DSL would be floated with software that I don't need. Therefore "software, software, software" means installing DSL packages (.dsl) and perhaps compile some stuff directly for DSL if possible. Target is: very old linux retrogaming. Things long before OpenGL. TechnoballZ would be GREAT if I can manage to get a working version.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 41 of 48, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bear in mind that 386 support was removed from the Linux kernel in version 3.8, so for these very old beasts, you'll need an older kernel. 486 machines are still supported to this day, though. 🙂

See https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI0OTg

Also, here's a cool article on Hackaday about booting Linux on a single floppy on a 486 machine, using something called "Aboriginal Linux": https://hackaday.com/2020/07/08/the-latest-li … loppy-in-a-486/

Reply 42 of 48, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dr.zeissler did you do an apt-get update first to refresh the apt cache after changing the contents of the sources.list file?

What are the system specs you've got there?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 43 of 48, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P233MMX-128MB-MGA1064-V1

No, I can't get my DSL to switch to Debian-sources. These integrated "enable apt" does not work, because there is no site to download from.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 44 of 48, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is because the default apt is looking for a non existent address. I'll have a go with a spare hdd and my DSL copy on the AMDk6-2 400.

Reply 45 of 48, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got DSL 4.4.10 installed to hdd fine. Need to find the scripts the menu to use GNU tools and enable APT to point to a location that contains those files. DSL is based on Debian Woody. So if another fill location isn't available in might be easier to install Debain Woody and install that. There is no /etc/apt/sources.list on the default DSL hdd installation

I'll see what I can do re DSL files the menu script is pointing to. Can't give any promises though.

I installed a Ubuntu from the some era( 2008 )and that install on the AMDK6-2 400 no problem with 256megs of ram. Xandros 2/3 to, but you need to point thenm to the Debian Sarge archives for extra software which isn't a problem at all.

As I've mentioned before non-systemd Devuan Jessie should install fine. You have a whole host of software that is easily accessed from Devuan archives to do any customizing..

Attachments

Reply 46 of 48, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DSL Control Panel has a button called "Select Mirror". Click on that then press "Select" . This brings up a list of mirror locations. Select one then click "OK" to save.

I tried the GNU and APT entries with all the selections in the DSL Control Panel with no luck at all.

Well that is all can do on this. Good luck...😉

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_174133.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210829_174133.jpg
    File size
    66.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20210829_180003.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210829_180003.jpg
    File size
    155.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 47 of 48, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

....aaand another 486-specific patch made it upstream to the mainline Linux kernel. Good to see these trusty old beasts still being officially supported. ☺️

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i … ux-5.15-x86-IRQ

Reply 48 of 48, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
digger wrote on 2021-09-05, 10:57:

....aaand another 486-specific patch made it upstream to the mainline Linux kernel. Good to see these trusty old beasts still being officially supported. ☺️

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_i … ux-5.15-x86-IRQ

That is very cool...😉