VOGONS

Common searches

Vintage hipster's.... I have mentioned them before.

Topic actions

First post, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And people just do not believe that they ARE out there. To clear a thing or two up.
I have previously stated that they are the type of persons that drives prices up, because they buy in order to make old hardware into a display stand. They are simply not into this, for the pleasure of actually using hardware. Yeah.... I just happened to stumble upon a video were one such are explaining how useless and sucky old hardware is, and how useless and difficult MS-Dos are to use. He does however explains that he is proud of his vintage display stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kYfsP_WKLY

I deem this guy, part of why retro and vintage hardware are rising exponentionally in value these day's.
And I will never ever sell some of my stuff, to a person like this.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 1 of 66, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm with team vintage hardware hipsters

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, Wordstar (is that it?) isn't/hasn't been/will never be exactly a fun vintage experience...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 66, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So from his video I understand he takes a TI99/4A machine, and puts an Apple II monochrome monitor on top of it, because it looks cool as 'decorum' for his YT videos... They aren't actually connected to eachother, and I'm not sure if they would even be compatible... but hey...

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 66, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh god how I want to punch hipsters right in their skinny-jeans wearing balls. Except they wouldn't feel it, because their testicles have already been destroyed by said skinny jeans. Damn hipsters. 😜

Reply 8 of 66, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

Oh god how I want to punch hipsters right in their skinny-jeans wearing balls. Except they wouldn't feel it, because their testicles have already been destroyed by said skinny jeans. Damn hipsters. 😜

On the bright side, they won't be able to reproduce 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 9 of 66, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
snorg wrote:

On the bright side, they won't be able to reproduce 😀

🤣
*virtual fistbump*

Reply 11 of 66, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

on a related note 🤣 don't get me started on "vaporwave" and all these strange obsessions for wireframes and neon colors due to "babby's first 80s references" games coming out recently (blood dragon, hotline, ddragon neon etc). I'm not much of a fan of bands naming themselves after video game references either. There's vintage hipstering and then there's nostalgia dorking

get off my lawn damn kids etc. also the only pcs that are background objects here are the long-since fried ones.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

And people just do not believe that they ARE out there. To clear a thing or two up.
I have previously stated that they are the type of persons that drives prices up, because they buy in order to make old hardware into a display stand. They are simply not into this, for the pleasure of actually using hardware. Yeah.... I just happened to stumble upon a video were one such are explaining how useless and sucky old hardware is, and how useless and difficult MS-Dos are to use. He does however explains that he is proud of his vintage display stand.

That's why I dislike many sub-cultures --goth, hipster, punk, emo, chav, and the likes; people who become what they are for the sake of looking different, instead of doing things because they actually like to do it. That's why you'd never find me wearing safety pins or fake Burberry, nope. No thanks. I'm sticking to polos and khakis and a pair of Sperry Top-Siders, because they are simple and comfy, unlike cumbersome, uncomfortable fashions like spikes or studs or chains. I just don't understand why some people are more interested in style over substance. Well at least I can still understand greaser, because despite being a sub-culture, at least they're car enthusiasts (well at least most of them) who understand their technical stuff. So when a greaser buys a hot rod, it's not just for show; he actually tinkers with it and rides it instead of calling it useless and sucky old car.

I'm actually more comfortable among enthusiasts instead of sub-culture groups; people like gamers (like us) or audiophiles, which are more enthusiasts than sub-culture groups. So yes, we love games, but do we require dress code of sort? Do we have to wear spiked leather jackets or mohawks to emphasize our DOS gamer identity? I don't think so.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 66, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

whenever I read stuff like this I am reminded that humanity is bound to kill itself of. Why this hatred for a sub culture which is gonna be irrelevant in a couple of years?
It's easy to make hipster jokes, I've done them myself, but this hatred even if it is playful hatred? I don't understand this.
Some little insight at http://www.vice.com/read/hw-we-asked-an-exper … te-hipsters-501 butI still find this hipster bashing not funny anymore. Instead I feel ashamed of myself for doing hipster jokes and deeply ashamed of people I encounter that are wishing evil things upon hipsters.

SHAME!

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:
whenever I read stuff like this I am reminded that humanity is bound to kill itself of. Why this hatred for a sub culture which […]
Show full quote

whenever I read stuff like this I am reminded that humanity is bound to kill itself of. Why this hatred for a sub culture which is gonna be irrelevant in a couple of years?
It's easy to make hipster jokes, I've done them myself, but this hatred even if it is playful hatred? I don't understand this.
Some little insight at http://www.vice.com/read/hw-we-asked-an-exper … te-hipsters-501 butI still find this hipster bashing not funny anymore. Instead I feel ashamed of myself for doing hipster jokes and deeply ashamed of people I encounter that are wishing evil things upon hipsters.

SHAME!

I don't hate hipsters in particular; I just don't understand --and rather frown upon-- superficial subcultures. I mean, what is the difference between a goth and a chav, if not looks and looks alone? And why do punks have to wear cumbersome and uncomfortable chains and safety pins and spikes and studs? IMO, the latest subcultures that actually did anything substantial were the black sub culture (Malcolm X, Nation of Islam, etc) and the hippies --at least they did the real thing and they tried to change something. Now, they gained my respect.

Goths and emos and chavs, on the other hand... what's the point? What do they believe? What are they trying to change? The way I see it, they're just a bunch of pimpled teenagers hanging on malls trying to look different.

I even hesitate identifying myself as a part of less-superficial subcultures. Yes, I comfortably call myself a gamer, but I'm rather uncomfortable to identify myself as part of gamer sub-culture. Even before Gamergate scandal, I've been more at home in gaming enthusiast communities (Vogons, TechReport, Quest Studios, Sierra Music Central) than gaming subculture communities (Reddit, 4chan, 8chan). I mean, yes, Depression Quest is probably overrated (I mean come on, games should be fun instead of depressing, shouldn't they?), and Zoë Quinn is probably a real b**ch, but shouldn't we gamers be discussing Depression Quest on its own merit, instead of making ad hominem attacks against the designer? Are we gamers or Infotainment audiences? Aren't we supposed to talk about the latest nVidia GPU, or the best way to beat Civilization IV, instead of doxing some obscure game designer named Zoë Quinn? Who the hell is this 'Zoë Quinn' person anyway? I recognize (and respect) names like Chris Crawford, Sid Meier, Warren Spector, and Lori-Ann Cole, but if it wasn't for Gamergate, I would never heard about Zoë Quinn at all.

Well, but maybe that's the negative side effects of games becoming mainstream. I remember, when I was in highschool, some of my friends were avid gamers. Internet online walkthrough wasn't common that day, so we have to help each other to finish games like Ultima VI, Quest for Glory I (named Hero's Quest back then), and Star Control II. Heck, I remember one of our "gang members" diligently mapped Ultima V dungeons on checkered exercise book, and we enthusiastically photocopied the maps after he finished. But otherwise, we were normal people. We didn't wear itchy scarfs or trenchcoat during summer, or black lipsticks and other ridiculous things. "Gaming" subculture, on the other hand, seems to be a bunch of pimpled suburban teenagers who got depressed for no reason at all, desperately need to get laid, spending more time gossiping on 4chan instead of actually discussing games and/or gaming hardware on TechReport, all while believing themselves to be "hardcore gamers".

And that's probably why I frown upon most subcultures today.

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2016-07-18, 19:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 15 of 66, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It's your problem if you want subcultures to mean something. For those that are part of one it's mostly being different but still being part of something.

Reply 16 of 66, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok here's the thing. I don't go around punching everyone with a handlebar mustache and skinny jeans.
Because that's nuts. Honestly, if I could grow a handlebar mustache I'd run
around looking like Bronson all the time. Because wtf not?

I even drink PBR on occasion. I just drink it because it's cheap. Not ironically.

But I guess I share Kreshna's view. If the biggest thing you can say about your movement, subculture,
whatever the hell you want to call it, is that you all wear the same uniform---
what's actually the point? How are you really any different from all the squares
in their khakis and business casual? You both wear a uniform and participate in
groupthink.

The goofiest thing about humanity is that we segregate ourselves into tribes,
almost like its a brain stem reaction. But that's an artifact of our monkey brains
that didn't evolve to deal with groups of more than around 100-200 individuals.
But I'm not sure you can get rid of this bug/feature without becoming something
that's not quite human anymore.

It's difficult to articulate exactly what it is that bugs me, but I guess it's the degree to which
they take the posing/affectation. Yeah, we all do this to some degree but
Hipsters? They turn it up to 11.

Portlandia frequently pokes fun at hipster nonsense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXCPDAOzbpM

Last edited by snorg on 2016-07-18, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

It's your problem if you want subcultures to mean something. For those that are part of one it's mostly being different but still being part of something.

I just don't like shallow, kitschy, superficial people. An example is people who speaks bad things about vintage hardware and software, yet buying them anyway just for show, without using the said hardware at all, without understanding how they work at all. I just don't understand either why certain people would torture themselves with uncomfortable things like tight skinny jeans (hipster), itchy scarf (emo), safety pins and studs and spikes (punk), and thick make ups (goth). To me, polos and khakis and boat shoes all the way. The simpler, the better!

But hey, that's just me. Maybe I'm just getting old. 😉

I remember reading funny post about hipster somewhere on the net. So yes, hipsters prefer vinyl records than digital music. But I remember reading a story somewhere about a hipster who proudly said that a vinyl's popping and clicking noise is what makes it "sound better". Of course, it's ridiculous, because a properly cleaned and maintained vinyl sounds (almost) as clean as an audio CD, with more fluid midrange and warmer sound, and of course, without all the pops and clicks that the hipster believes to "sound better". 🤣 So why do they even bother stockpiling vinyl records, if they cannot appreciate, let alone maintain the medium anyway? Again, superficiality.

Nonetheless, that's nothing compared to Gamergate scandal, which is both shocking and appalling. I was also shocked to discover gamers are now represented by the denizens of 8chan and 4chan, instead of those of Vogons and TechReport. Perhaps there are gamers and there are "gamers", or perhaps the world is just getting crazier, I'm not sure.

snorg wrote:

How are you really any different from all the squares in their khakis and business casual?

At least khakis and polos and Sperry Top-siders are simple and comfortable. I don't understand why punks have to wear all those chains and studs and spikes! 🤣

snorg wrote:

But I guess I share Kreshna's view. If the biggest thing you can say about your movement, subculture, whatever the hell you want to call it, is that you all wear the same uniform--- what's actually the point?

The irony of the thing is true hobbyists/enthusiasts are too busy immersing themselves in their hobbies to worry about subculture at all. As Malik has said:

Malik wrote:
Precisely. […]
Show full quote
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
ADDiCT wrote:

Besides, completing a mission does not make me special in any way. It simply means i had the time and energy to complete that specific task. It's not a very big achievement.

And since when does hobby translate to "making someone special" or such? People write and/or read such thing for fun.

Precisely.

We come from all walks of life, from different professions, from different countries across the globe, and unite here for a common interest : Classic Gaming. And gaming is for fun. Our hobby here is having fun by playing (not only) classic games!! Or should I put it in another different way?

Though we talk about war in this thread, we're UNITED in sharing this fun, gaming experience.

Yup, that's what's most important --the fun of it, without worrying whether a retro gamer should wear a leather trench coat or heavy gold chains to the next party! 🤣 In fact, when the media mentioned about "gaming subculture" during Gamergate scandal, my first reaction was, like, "oh, we ARE subculture now?"

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2016-07-18, 20:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

Hey, if it's comfy you wear what's comfy. I have to wear khakis (or some type of dress pant and dress shirt) for work so I favor jeans and T-shirts when I'm not working.

Well I guess I'm lucky I'm living in the tropics, where suits and ties are not mandatory due to the hot climate. So I can always enjoy the comfort of polo shirts and khakis at work. I rarely wear socks either, and nobody has ever objected about it. 🤣