VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding drivers and Windows 10 I had the following experiences:

With a common Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H mainboard that uses the VIA VT2021 codec the Line-In does not work with Windows 10 anymore. The behavior is that the driver does not detect any more if a device is plugged and from software side the input stays 'disabled'.
Windows 10 also pops up a Yes/No dialog for each Audio Playback device connected to the VIA driver that 'Audio Enhancement features may cause problems' whenever one opens the Playback Devices list.
This is the reference driver that comes with Windows 10.
Some research showed that I am not the only one with this problem and some recommend to install an older VIA driver that was distributed with the first Win8. Forcing this driver to install (as it is older) leads to a working Line-In once, however after some time it mutes again and changes to 'disabled'. On next Win10 restart it installs the newer Win10 reference driver again and is back in broken state.
The whole issue is not hardware related as everything VIA Audio works in Win7/WinXP.

With some multifunction USB devices I noticed that Windows 10 brings some default drivers that have no direct use with any program. In such cases it would be better to ask directly for some vendor specific driver. This happens e.g. with KryoFlux where Win10 installs by default some own driver that is not related to the actual hardware. A more annoying side effect is that replacing the Win10 driver with the KryoFlux driver applies permanently to the current USB port only. If one uses another USB port the next time the whole procedure has to be repeated.

Some versions of the latest NVIDIA graphics driver seem to have no HDMI audio device in Win10.

From my personal impression Win10 shows more driver quirks than Win7.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 21 of 24, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote:
Regarding drivers and Windows 10 I had the following experiences: […]
Show full quote

Regarding drivers and Windows 10 I had the following experiences:

With a common Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H mainboard that uses the VIA VT2021 codec the Line-In does not work with Windows 10 anymore. The behavior is that the driver does not detect any more if a device is plugged and from software side the input stays 'disabled'.
Windows 10 also pops up a Yes/No dialog for each Audio Playback device connected to the VIA driver that 'Audio Enhancement features may cause problems' whenever one opens the Playback Devices list.
This is the reference driver that comes with Windows 10.
Some research showed that I am not the only one with this problem and some recommend to install an older VIA driver that was distributed with the first Win8. Forcing this driver to install (as it is older) leads to a working Line-In once, however after some time it mutes again and changes to 'disabled'. On next Win10 restart it installs the newer Win10 reference driver again and is back in broken state.
The whole issue is not hardware related as everything VIA Audio works in Win7/WinXP.

With some multifunction USB devices I noticed that Windows 10 brings some default drivers that have no direct use with any program. In such cases it would be better to ask directly for some vendor specific driver. This happens e.g. with KryoFlux where Win10 installs by default some own driver that is not related to the actual hardware. A more annoying side effect is that replacing the Win10 driver with the KryoFlux driver applies permanently to the current USB port only. If one uses another USB port the next time the whole procedure has to be repeated.

Some versions of the latest NVIDIA graphics driver seem to have no HDMI audio device in Win10.

From my personal impression Win10 shows more driver quirks than Win7.

Sadly, these are just the kind of things I feared would happen when Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be a "rolling" release. The forced updates aren't really helping either, and taking out the group policy options to disable the automatic updates on Pro versions is the final nail in the cofin for me. I am keeping 10 on one of my laptops to play around with every now and then, but my main PC will have to do without 10 since I cannot really afford to have it start doing... things on it's own.

The rolling releases don't always work too well on Linux either, and those have all the programs updated, no wonder it doesn't work too well with Windows when there might be old incompatible versions of software installed, and not all software even now automatically checks for updates.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 22 of 24, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Took me three install attempts before I could finally get a stable system. On the last fresh install attempt I had the laptop on the dockstation and let Windows take care of the entire driver situation.
OOSU10, Spybot antibeacon and "defer upgrades" for me. Couldn't care less about the app ecosystem.

Two months of use and everything is working as great as back when I was using Win7.

Unless you want the App ecosystem, and all those useless features, stick to Win7 until the bitter end.

Reply 23 of 24, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While we're at it, I wonder if there has been a solution for this following problem. Yup, Windows 10 kills Dolby Digital Live and DTS. Good luck, HTPC owners.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 24 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did they do any QC before releasing this update? Rolling releases work, but you can't be indifferent to breakage.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder