VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just installed it today. I found a few minor hiccups that I had to deal with immediately, but otherwise it was fairly smooth and the same. The issues are:

1. Cortana cannot easily be turned off anymore like it used to be.

If you're like me, you don't like having everything in your room recorded by your always-on microphone, sent across the internet to some Microsoft server, having it parsed into a command structure, then sent back to your PC all to do some kind of simple search. You ALSO don't like that this service ONLY uses the shitty BING search engine and NEVER opens any browser other than Edge. No, seriously, you can't get Cortana to open Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, OR Firefox. It simply won't do it. F*** you, Cortana.

How to fix:
- Open up regedt32.exe.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
- Add a new KEY here called "Windows Search" without the quotation marks.
- Now enter that key. You should now be in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
- Add a new REG_DWORD (32-bit) entry called "AllowCortana" without the quotation marks.
- Make sure this value is set to 0 (off).
- Log out and log back into your account....or restart your PC.

Voila, no more Cortana. Shut that useless Microsoft-centric piece of sh** off.

2. Windows 10 Anniversary update messed up my initial keyboard settings so that NumLock isn't automatically turned on anymore for me to put my security pin in.

How to fix:
- Do the same thing you did before to get the Num Lock to automatically turn on during system boot and the login screen. There are pages on how to do this. Just revisit the registry keys you had to set to 2 instead of 2328904714986 or whatever the hell garbage number it had/has. Here's the article I used: http://www.howtogeek.com/244606/how-to-enable … computer-boots/

I'll have to look around, but I had to go back to Settings > Privacy and turn off stuff again from running in the background.

3. It screwed up my Windows 7 games for Windows 10 install. None of the EXE files ported over and my old installer didn't work anymore. I had to re-download the updated installer to get it to work properly. Welcome back Freecell, Solitaire, Chess, Mahjongg. (Freecell is my JAM when I'm bored.) Here's the link: http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 1 of 5, by kikenovic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's amazing the amount of hoops and loops one has to go just to make it work. Testing (on my everyday work lap) build 1511 Pro and Office 2016 at the moment. Thanks to the likes of classic shell, oosu10, spybot it is usable. Creating system restores from time to time and imaging when there's time.

Reply 2 of 5, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

3. It screwed up my Windows 7 games for Windows 10 install. None of the EXE files ported over and my old installer didn't work anymore. I had to re-download the updated installer to get it to work properly. Welcome back Freecell, Solitaire, Chess, Mahjongg. (Freecell is my JAM when I'm bored.)

Why though? I started using the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, which I like a lot now, with its daily challenges, achievements and such.
I don't want to go back to the Windows 7 ones anymore.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Call me old fashioned but I am sticking with 7 for my daily driver, if this pattern continues Win10 is likely to be the os of perpetual updates and duck tape fixes more than any os before it. Looks nice and has lots of cool stuff but the frustration can boil things over at the drop of a hat should something go wrong at a critical time.

I don't like M$ trying to get their nose up my ass and I like my privacy 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kot2oe1xpQ (bonus content)

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 5, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Win10 is likely to be the os of perpetual updates

Yes, they want to go for a 'rolling release' model. Which seems to make more sense in this day and age: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

nforce4max wrote:

and duck tape fixes more than any os before it.

How so? If anything, issues get fixed in a better way now. Rather than just having to work inside the limitations of a current OS release ('duct tape it'), you can make fundamental updates to key components when necessary. So you can get better fixes, and get them sooner.
So quite the opposite.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 5, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:
FFXIhealer wrote:

3. It screwed up my Windows 7 games for Windows 10 install. None of the EXE files ported over and my old installer didn't work anymore. I had to re-download the updated installer to get it to work properly. Welcome back Freecell, Solitaire, Chess, Mahjongg. (Freecell is my JAM when I'm bored.)

Why though? I started using the Microsoft Solitaire Collection, which I like a lot now, with its daily challenges, achievements and such.
I don't want to go back to the Windows 7 ones anymore.

I hate all the "bling" that comes with that collection package. I had a short difficulty turning off the sounds and couldn't (at the time) figure out how to disable all the stupid animations that just take up time. On the older Windows 7 version, when you clicked New... BAM! In your face new game, ready to play. When I finished a game, BAM! In your face with a pop-up asking "want a new game?" And you click Yes and BAM! In your face, new game ready to play. Those are seconds I don't have to waste staring at stupid firework graphics popping....cards jumping around...blah blah.

You know that guy who HATES having to wait for a full two minutes to start a game because the game forces you to sit through interminably long Glory screens? Glory screens - the ones where every group/company/division that had any hand in making a game has to put a splash of their company logo on the screen for a full 15 seconds while the PS3/PS4/XBOX/whatever sits there and does absolutely nothing except pre-load the next stupid flash screen? Yeah, glory screens. "Ooh, look at me! I wrote some of the base code! My company is awesome." The guy that hates all this and thinks it's a tad unnecessary to make a gamer sit there and stare at pointless screens. Yeah, I'm that guy. Just give me the damned game already. From the time I put the disk in and hit Start to the time you actually get a game menu screen, I can get up, go stick some microwave meals in the microwave, cook them, stir the potatoes, cook them some more, peel the plastic cover off, get an aluminum tray to put it on, pour myself a glass of sweet tea, then go back to my room with the whole thing and STILL catch the tail end of the stupid splash screens. And I'm like "WTF, I just spent, like, 10 minutes in the damned kitchen! They're STILL not done?"

I also skip all movie previews on my DVD/Blu-Ray disks or fast-forward through them all if I'm "not allowed" to skip them, which I truly believe is asinine.

Wait, did I say all of that out loud?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png