VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since it uses a old EMU chipset, would it function properly under Linux? I had a X-Fi Titanium HD and it worked just fine under Linux except it was bare bone support. (just the sound output only, no hardware mixing or special effects or MIDI)

Would it be detected by the ALSA EMU10k1 drivers and properly function?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Audigy 2s and Live!s work fine, I've used them lots. The driver is mature & well supported.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know that but is the RX considered part of the Live and Audigy 2 family enough to work fine with the drivers under Linux?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most ALSA sound drivers seem to work by chipset & not card manufacturer ID or whatever. If it's not an obscure / incompatible / cynical Dell gimped version of the EMU10k1 I'm guessing it would work.

If you already have the card just boot from a LiveCD and try it; the drivers should be included on any live distro. KXStudio does not include PulseAudio if you want to try a strict ALSA-only implementation.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm going to keep my eye on the RX then, maybe snag one if there's ever a sale on those. Been wanting to get a EMU10k1 chipset on this system for a long time now.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 8, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I haven't tried it myself but linux-hardware-guide has this to say:

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX (model ID SB1550) is a PCI Express sound card, which is automatically recognized under Linu […]
Show full quote

The Creative Sound Blaster Audigy RX (model ID SB1550) is a PCI Express sound card, which is automatically recognized under Linux:

lspci -nnv
1 05:00.0 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value [1102:0008]
2 Subsystem: Creative Labs Device [1102:1024]
3 Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
4 I/O ports at dc00 [size=64]
5 Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
6 Kernel driver in use: snd_emu10k1
7 Kernel modules: snd_emu10k1

The card is fully supported by the snd_emu10k1 Linux driver, which loads automatically

...which seems to imply it behaves as an Audigy 2. I'm currently using an Audigy 2 in two different machines (one ZS, one standard) and can confirm the ALSA driver works fine.

(I did have one specific issue with the KDE/Gstreamer subsystem prioritizing the Intel HDA HDMI-audio over any of the analog outs on the Sound Blaster but you 'should' be able to solve that by disabling the onboard sound. I solved it by switching to a Cinnamon-based distro. Just a caveat.)

Reply 8 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonderful this is all the information I needed, thanks everyone!

I'm definitely going to pick up one of these in the future.

― Κυνικός Δράκων