VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was sitting here, and suddenly I remembered that when I was 11 years old I had cajoled my dad into letting me start a blog on Wordpress.

Magically, I managed to remember the URL: https://ultimatedos.wordpress.com

There's almost nothing there; it seems I made one post and then forgot about it 🤣

I just thought this was kind of funny.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is.. well... it is an.. ..uhm.. it is a blog. It is a blog, yes.

A very clean and tidy looking little blog, not to say ! 😀

And it has a section about SRB2! Wow! I loved that game. I played it since Final Demo v1.08 or so! 😁
I wasn't a harcore sega fan, though, but that game was so cool. The only 3D Sonic game I played before was flacky
(or flucky ?) island for the Megadrive. Can't remember the name.. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 7, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

The only 3D Sonic game I played before was flacky
(or flucky ?) island for the Megadrive. Can't remember the name.. 😅

Flickies' Island, also known as 3D Blast.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well... are you offering pirated games over there?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Jo22: Yeah, SRB2! My sister and I still play this over the internet from time to time. She always beats me 😜 But we used to make levels together in the SRB2 Doom Builder.

@Dominus: Apparently, no. All the links I had put up there are to shareware/freeware stuff.

But anyway, this has got me thinking: I'd like to start a new blog (instead of reviving this one). We may see an update on that shortly.

P.S. I also remembered my username/password combination (another miracle, since it's one I haven't used since then 🤣).

Reply 5 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, now I started a new blog 🤣 Here it is: https://audaxeundum.wordpress.com
It's kind of silly. We'll see where it goes 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Okay, now I started a new blog 🤣 Here it is: https://audaxeundum.wordpress.com
It's kind of silly. We'll see where it goes 😀

Awesome StarFleet emblem you've go there! 😁

keenmaster486 wrote:

@Jo22: Yeah, SRB2! My sister and I still play this over the internet from time to time. She always beats me 😜 But we used to make levels together in the SRB2 Doom Builder.

Hey, that's cool! I had similar memories like you, I guess. About ten years ago me and my little sister played SRB2, too.
I installed it on the PC I built for her. It wasn't easy, though. She wasn't such a platform fan back then and often played on her GBA instead
(she loved Pokémon Emerald). But when she played SRB2, she often choosed Tails. Because "he's cute and can fly". Girls.. *sigh* 😉

So yeah, even though my childhood was more in the 90s I would say, it got quite streched into the 2000s, thanks to my sis.
It feels strange somwhow, if you consider having both Windows 3.1 and XP as part of your youth. 😕
Or beeing forced by your sister to watch Teletubbies instead of classics such as Garfield, Bugs Bunny or Duck Tales.
Or growing up with both music cassettes and smartphones, like my sister did.
Sometimes I think we were born by accident between the generations. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Anyway, it's just so confusing at times. When I was little, we still used telephones with cords and big buttons.
Heck, they didn't even have a display at all. And I was still familiar with those rotary phones, which my grandma used.
And when we moved, we also had a black and white portable in the living room for a short time. I often watched shows like
sesame street and other local programme on this thing. And when I got my first home computer, it was attached to a green monitor..

Just a few years later, I think it was ca. mid-90s, I went online with CompuServe the first time.
It was a dial-up connection and my father got us a new modem. It was a hi-speed FAX modem, 14.4k baud, I think.
I don't know if you can understand the thrill I felt when that wheater image slowely appeared on my 286.
Yup, this was before Internet was standard. We used WinCIM back then to go online (among others)..

Anyway, what I meant is that we may fit into a category called "digital natives", even though the Internet wasn't
a matter of course when we were little kids. In fact, I started out in an analogue world with building blocks, toy trains and r/c cars. 😉

I hope you don't mind that long post of mine. I got taken away again. 😅

Just a few more words about SRB2.. Did you know that SRB2 1.08 or 1.094 did have a hidden OpenGL mode ?
I think it was removed from later releases because it wasn't maintained anymore and considered to be unstable.
I never had any problems with it, though. If you want to try it, just run the (older) game with -opengl parameter.
And there's also a Mac port of SRB2. I think there was a link in some Sonic forum. I've attached a screenshot for you.

Attachments

• srb2mac.JPG
    Filename
    srb2mac.JPG
    File size
    137.7 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Sonic Robo Blast 2 for Mac (Power PC)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, sorry Jo22, didn't see you'd replied until now 😊

Jo22 wrote:

Awesome StarFleet emblem you've go there!

Thanks! Starfleet Engineering, you know, and I'm an engineering major, so I guess that works 😀

Jo22 wrote:

But when she played SRB2, she often choosed Tails. Because "he's cute and can fly". Girls.. *sigh*

Oh, that's funny. My sister is a total tomboy so she always chooses either Sonic or Knuckles, depending on what kind of dirty tricks she wants play on me 🤣 Somehow she always stays one step ahead of me even when using the console... she'll do something amazing and I'll say "how did you do that?" and she'll show me some obscure console command she learned God knows where 😀 This makes me very happy because she's one of very, very few kids (especially girls, unfortunately) from her generation who have mastered the command prompt. She knows her way around DOS almost better than I do.

Jo22 wrote:

It feels strange somwhow, if you consider having both Windows 3.1 and XP as part of your youth.

Even though I was born in the late 90's, I had this exact same thing since I had all computers running Windows XP, and DOSBox running Windows 3.1 🤣 My sister and I would make games with Klik&Play in 3.1, which was always great fun.

Jo22 wrote:

Or beeing forced by your sister to watch Teletubbies instead of classics such as Garfield, Bugs Bunny or Duck Tales.

My sister used to make me watch stupid stuff too, but never Teletubbies thank God. We did have a lot of fun watching Tom & Jerry since those used to be on Saturday morning cartoons on the over-the-air channels. Not anymore. The Saturday cartoons went to hell about six or seven years ago, if I remember right. We ended up resorting to DVDs and YouTube.

Jo22 wrote:
Or growing up with both music cassettes and smartphones, like my sister did. ... When I was little, we still used telephones wit […]
Show full quote

Or growing up with both music cassettes and smartphones, like my sister did.
... When I was little, we still used telephones with cords and big buttons.
Heck, they didn't even have a display at all. And I was still familiar with those rotary phones, which my grandma used.
And when we moved, we also had a black and white portable in the living room for a short time. ...And when I got my first home computer, it was attached to a green monitor..

Our house is a veritable museum full of old technology. In the main kid's room we spent hours playing with old reel-to-reel tape recorders, phonographs and turntables (vinyl AND shellac, ha), old radios, AM radio transmitters, rotary phones (we still have a rotary phone in that room. It works perfectly, and I still make calls with it all the time)... we even had an expensive (in its time) VHS camcorder system that had been handed down from our grandparents, much to Mom's chagrin. Not to mention the vintage computers, although those came much later when we were in high school and I could afford that sort of thing.

EDIT: Ooh! I forgot to mention the typewriters. Dozens of typewriters, or so it seemed (we probably had about 6 or 7 tbh). The typewriter is still the writing instrument of choice for both me and my sister. Her favorite one sits on her desk right next to her Windows 98 laptop 🤣

I did know about OpenGL mode, I guess I thought it was still there. Wait, checking... well, in Linux the last supported version was 2.0.6. Starting with the command srb2 -opengl yields OpenGL mode!! No idea if it's supported in 2.1.xx though. Let's see: "wine srb2dd.exe -opengl" yields... Software mode!! It works! I guess you never know 🤣 Now let's try with "wine srb2win.exe -opengl": works for that too! Interesting, since "wine srb2win.exe" with no -opengl doesn't work at all. Well, that's nice to know, I don't have to restart into Windows any more to play multiplayer since they removed that functionality from the DirectX version.

Still eagerly awaiting the release of 2.2 😁

Wow, I knew there was a Mac port but I didn't know there was one for PowerPC! That's really cool.

Another edit: I wanted to mention, I did play Sonic 3D Blast (or Flickie's Island or whatever it was) on a friend's Sega Genesis once. I remember thinking "this is pretty boring, SRB2 is much better" 🤣