VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been thinking about moving my retro PC collection and electronics tinkering gear to my garage.

The garage is sturdy and dry but not insulated and has huge swings in temperature, bitter cold in winter and blazing in summer. There is no condensing humidty but of course if it is humid outside the garage is hot and humid also.

Are there dangers to storing my stuff out there? Will it be nonfunctional after a while if I do? I've got a 19" CRT out there that I probably ought to bring in but haven't powered it up in years now. There are only some things I'm keeping out there currently, the bulk of my fairly modest collection is stored indoors at this point.

But as I've been thinking about converting my garage into a proper workshop and insulating and putting up drywall, I thought it might make a better space for my retro PCs. It is not attached to my house. If I were going to heat it at all it would probably only be when I'm out there in the winter months, with like a propane heater or something.

Reply 2 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

I did this for a short time. Besides the dangerous swings in temperature which I think should be avoided if possible I had huge issues with spiders and insects.

Same here. Storage in our attic was fine, though. We had a lot of old books and electronics stored there.
For many years, and in cardboard boxes..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 15, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. The thermal stresses alone are probably enough to do damage over even a short time frame (year or less).
Seeing as how it can get down to minus 40 F in the winter and up to 100 F in the summer in my area (and the 90% humidity this summer made it absolutely unbearable) I am probably safer storing everything inside and just narrowing down or selling/giving away some of the bulkier things from my collection.

I will have to leave the garage to wood-working and motorcycle repair I think.

Reply 4 of 15, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I stored a heap of floppies in a plastic container in my garage, and most of them were unusable after a couple of years. However I lived near the beach and we had some seriously hot and humid days in summer, which may have contributed.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 15, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Rhuwyn wrote:

Besides the dangerous swings in temperature which I think should be avoided if possible I had huge issues with spiders and insects.

Personally, I'd be concerned about rodents. I've found a nest or three in my own garage and those little buggers can chew through anything. Nothing quite like opening a computer case to find it's home to a family of mice. 😵

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 15, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I operated out of a garage for 2 years, but it was in great shape with an A/C unit and good rubber gaskets under the garage doors, proper drywall with tape and bedding. It worked quite well, but again it wasn't an average garage.

Have you considered a shed in the back yard, with power ran to it, with an AC unit for the summer, and a Smithfield Pentium D with an HD2900XT for heating in the winter.

Reply 7 of 15, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

I operated out of a garage for 2 years, but it was in great shape with an A/C unit and good rubber gaskets under the garage doors, proper drywall with tape and bedding. It worked quite well, but again it wasn't an average garage.

Have you considered a shed in the back yard, with power ran to it, with an AC unit for the summer, and a Smithfield Pentium D with an HD2900XT for heating in the winter.

If he lived were I do he would need 4 dual core netburst xeon's or 2 480 or 2 295. 🤣

Reply 8 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All of my consoles and most of my computers are in a non-climate-controlled storage unit right now...

...I've sort of been bracing myself for the fact that when I finally have access to all of it again, a lot of it might not work right or at all anymore, but given the really stupid things that went down around the end of 2014, there was no avoiding this and there's not enough space where I'm living now to bring any of it out. :(

From what I understand from the conversations I've had with techs in our local pinball league about storing things, the electronic aspect of these things should be fine, but anything of a mechanical nature is going to be hit or miss depending on how resilient it is to moisture/temperature. I'm expecting my older consoles and game carts will likely still work but that the ones with disc readers like my Wii or PS2 may not.

The thing is, I have to be capable of affording my own place before I'll have the space to pull all of my stuff from storage and while I'm definitely getting closer to that point, I'm not there quite yet. (About 1/3 of the way there.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 9 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I live in Colorado. Nothing rusts, things just dry out. UV damage is huge, but only if you leave things sitting in windows.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NE Denver, almost to Brighton. So rodents are a huge thing too. I use the "5-gallon bucket trap" to keep them at bay.

Reply 12 of 15, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im cuorious about his topic too. I recently had to buy an older mobile sales trailer thats approx 5x2m. Put up a lot of shelves inside for storing stuff including many of my computers and parts. We have a very dry climate here, but winters can be cold and sometimes down to -30c degrees. Im a little worried that maybe some can get damaged in the winter thats coming. The temperatures are not fluctuating a lot and are somewhat stabile during the winter. Should i have some heating inside the trailer? Walls, floor, roof etc are made of some sandwich compostion that maybe insulate a bit.

Reply 13 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In a perfect world, all stuff would be stored at room temperature, in the dark at some set humidity. Obviously thats not practical.

Keep the rare, expensive stuff inside, put the relativly common cheap stuff outside. That boxed video card stays inside, the spare desktop case, out.

Long story short, use common sense here.

Reply 14 of 15, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scraphoarder wrote:

Im cuorious about his topic too. I recently had to buy an older mobile sales trailer thats approx 5x2m. Put up a lot of shelves inside for storing stuff including many of my computers and parts. We have a very dry climate here, but winters can be cold and sometimes down to -30c degrees. Im a little worried that maybe some can get damaged in the winter thats coming. The temperatures are not fluctuating a lot and are somewhat stabile during the winter. Should i have some heating inside the trailer? Walls, floor, roof etc are made of some sandwich compostion that maybe insulate a bit.

Somewhat contrary to logic heating would be bad in the winter for your outdoors trailer. Heating produces vaporization which then produces condensation on your computer parts. It needs to be ventilated AND heated.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 15 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of my stuff spent 5+ years untouched in my parents garage in Australia, and just put in cardbox boxes, some stuff in anti static bags but mostly just loose, average temperatures ranges from 11 to 22 (roughly)
I was pleasantly surprised to find most things worked fine, bit of surface rust, a lot of dust and cob webs but otherwise fine