VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know i've seen a 320x240 image sequence of the ZG as the sole sample on some old CG-related magazines coverdisc (that pro artists would buy etc). Whether that had permissive licensing i'm not sure.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 21 of 25, by JPEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
s0ren wrote on 2023-09-27, 08:31:
leileilol wrote on 2022-05-24, 18:15:

Bumping this because I had forgotten to share some definite information about everyone's favorite fireball just to nail this mystery down for good.

Cheers ! I have updated the top post to include more info.

I still think it is a little intriguing why this particular explosion from the stock set was used so often in game production. I recognize some of the others from games as well, but the "ZG" one is just all over the place.

haha, we found this sprite a long time ago, I forgot to report it https://hlfx.ru/forum/showthread.php?s=&threa … 15&pagenumber=1

this year it finally became possible to download it
REMOVED

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-10-03, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 25, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2016-10-07, 22:54:
Indeed. there's loads of games in the era that used the same few professionally licensed mpeg clips as graphics. these explosion […]
Show full quote

Indeed. there's loads of games in the era that used the same few professionally licensed mpeg clips as graphics. these explosions are as ubiquitous as Sound Ideas 4000 / 6000 abuse

Hexen not only has used it once, but... twice!
hexen_008.png
hexen_018.png

Even Quake2 used it at one point
quake01.png

Well, reality abuses them even more ...

Attachments

Reply 25 of 25, by NickDickem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-05-24, 18:15:
Bumping this because I had forgotten to share some definite information about everyone's favorite fireball just to nail this mys […]
Show full quote

Bumping this because I had forgotten to share some definite information about everyone's favorite fireball just to nail this mystery down for good.

It comes out of Visual Concept Entertainment's Pyromania 1. Peter Kuran is the guy behind it.

VCE Films used to have the clips for sale until 2021. Only some of them went to Pond5 in a cropped altered form, THE explosion not present, but duke/CNC's nuke is, along with diablo's fires.

It would be really really cool if he unearthed and relicensed the original SD versions of the clips in a liberated/PD license for the sake of pop culture preservation as it's the VFX industry equivelant of the wilhelm scream, but that's probably wishful thinking. On the other hand, I haven't seen any recent commercial productions with the familiar Pyromania stuff for decades. ArtBeats sure. but not those.

I made an account just to point this out. You can, in fact, purchase THE explosion from Pond5. Dunno when it was added, but it's here:

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/item/2556 … sion-plus-matte