VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, hear me out on this.

I want to get my dad a Commodore 64 for Christmas or his birthday this year. He's told a lot of stories about playing with the C64 he had when he was a kid back in the late 70's/early 80's when Commodore was all the rage. If I recall correctly, he said he got it when it first came out, which would have been 1982. He's always enjoyed tinkering with things [programming too, as part of his job he writes modeling algorithms and doesn't do much code just for fun] and I think he'd get a big kick out of playing with a C64 again. He spends a lot of time playing with old HP calculators and buying them on eBay, so this is rather down his alley. Also I think my sister would enjoy tinkering with it once in a while as she's kind of a wizard with pixel art (likes old systems too, has a Win98 laptop she uses for DOS games and keeps hinting to me that she wants my 486 🤣)

How best to go about this? I could look around on eBay but there's a wide assortment of systems there, ranging from "in original box with manuals and peripherals for $150" and "old Comodooor [sic] 64 systim [sic], great workin [sic] conditoin [sic], no accereries [sic] for $6.50 or best offer" (I'm exaggerating but you get my drift 🤣). Is some other place better to get this sort of thing, for example Amibay? I have never seen C64 stuff at recycle centers but I guess you never know. What peripherals do I really need? I can't remember what my dad had. I seem to remember him telling me about having a tape deck, but I can't recall for sure. He may have had a floppy drive for all I know. I want him to be able to get the system out of the box, hook it up to the TV, and start playing around with minimal fuss. (side note: his original system doesn't exist any more as far as we know [got handed over to cousins and subsequently disappeared], but I still have the original TV/Computer RF adapter switch box thingimajig 🤣)

If I get a tape deck or a floppy drive, can I just use standard cassette tapes or 5 1/4" floppy disks, or do those require special mediums?

Also if I was to get some cartridges as well, what are some "classic" cartridge programs/games I could get him (also were there typically cartridges included in the box?).

I want it to be as close to his original machine as possible without having actually seen it. If I remember right, there were a few different versions of the C64 over the years. If he got his machine close to when it first came out (1982/83...) then what was it likely to be?

Is there any special cable or something to connect it to the TV or is it just a standard composite or RF system? Sorry for all the questions; I just know next to nothing about C64 systems and their peripherals.

Also, it would be nice if I didn't have to spend more than a hundred bucks on this since I'm a college student and not exactly wealthy 😜 Is that hard or can it be done with patience and luck?

Thanks!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off...brilliant idea and very thoughtful and loving. I'd be so happy if my son did something like that for me. 😀

Now, do you have any local places that might carry C64s? retro game shops, retro conventions, etc? I'm just thinking it would be ideal to see it in person before you buy. That's all I've got, but I'm sure the other members will have lots of awesome suggestions for you.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My advice would be to try to get a good deal on a combo w/ system, floppy, and maybe some software or manuals. The original C64 woukd be the old brown breadbox style one. The Floppy drive is 386k single sided so you would need some low capacity disks 720k IIRC. Also look into the powersupply issues/ solutions. They are notorious for killing C64's with no warning.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 9, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a great present. Speaking from personal experience, I would not buy a setup that is not fully guaranteed to work and that you can return if it doesn't. It's worth paying a premium to get this peace of mind.

You may already know about the C64 plug-and-play, but it might be a good backup plan (especially if your dad only wants to play games). It is different from other PNP sticks in that it uses the actual hardware from a C64 (including the SID) instead of emulating the original hardware. Here's a video of it:

https://youtu.be/R_kJOatGqyg

Reply 5 of 9, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

If I get a tape deck or a floppy drive, can I just use standard cassette tapes or 5 1/4" floppy disks, or do those require special mediums?

I've never owned a C64, but I remember an LGR video saying that you can basically connect any MP3 player or smartphone with an aux cable and simply "load" games by playing the audio files. Just my two cents.

Great idea for a gift!

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@clueless1: Thanks 😀 Well, I live in Boulder, CO, but searching around on Google doesn't turn up anything in the vein of what you're talking about... does anyone know of anything like that?
@ODwilly: OK... there were different colors for the function keys though, weren't there?
Peter: I am checking eBay and Craigslist. Maybe I will post on Amibay though. And no, I'm not going to get my dad an emulator for Christmas.
@boxpressed: Yeah, I think I agree with you, especially after watching LGR's review where he mentions buying one that was supposed to work but didn't. I don't think my dad is as interested in games as he is in the system itself as a whole experience.
@jheronimus: Oh wow, I did not know that! Makes sense though. That's something to think about.

Reply 7 of 9, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, double post, but I have another question:

How do I tell whether it's a NTSC or a PAL machine? All the eBay auctions I'm looking at are in America. Is that pretty much enough to know? Because it has to be NTSC; there's no way I'm getting a hold of a PAL monitor and then hauling it back home, hiding it from my dad until Christmas 🤣

Reply 8 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like the 1982 version has silver commodore badge, a silver 64 badge, and lacks s-video. From 83 to 87 it is the rainbow badged brown shelled model. After that they changed to the C64c model, which is white.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 9, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

How do I tell whether it's a NTSC or a PAL machine? All the eBay auctions I'm looking at are in America.

If it's from America, 99.999% of the time it's NTSC unless specified. Vice versa if from anywhere in Europe. There's no way to tell until you open it up and look at the model name on the VIC chip.

Many European games and demos, especially the later ones, have trouble running on NTSC models due to 50hz vs 60hz. But, many of those have also been patched to run properly on NTSC. Look up a game + "ntsc" on csdb.dk and you'll usually find a patched version.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus