Topic actions

Reply 41 of 141, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:
ODwilly wrote:

I think badmojo was just concerned that rhetoric and phrasing such as that usually leads to flaming and threads getting locked, thus stopping short structured and civil conversation. Religion and politics are two of the worst subjects as far as tempers and feelings are concerned.

The things that I could say are much more aggressive than anything that I have posted thus far but we are all adults and there comes a point in life where we are expected to have thicker skin. People these days are so fragile and easily offended amazes me, the world isn't a nice place and people should wake up to that but dialog is important even when there is strong disagreements. If anything people are just still children just in aged middle age or older bodies, if ever the poop were to hit the fan like an economic collapse God help us.

On the side we are getting small riots by enraged Hillary supporters...

Not saying I disagree with you, for the most part I actually agree with some of what you have said. Dialogue is good and the exchanging of ideas peacefully is one of the most important things to society. It disgusts me how many people are breaking down and going crazy because their candidate did not win the election. Personally I think both candidates were garbage and was prepared to be disappointed whichever way things went. There are some negatives about Trump winning, but I am looking forward to seeing what positive changes may come about having someone different as President.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 42 of 141, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

The things that I could say are much more aggressive than anything that I have posted thus far but we are all adults and there comes a point in life where we are expected to have thicker skin. People these days are so fragile and easily offended amazes me, the world isn't a nice place and people should wake up to that but dialog is important even when there is strong disagreements. If anything people are just still children just in aged middle age or older bodies, if ever the poop were to hit the fan like an economic collapse God help us.

Dialog is important, yes.

"When people start blurting out about racism, hatred, and intolerance it is MSM programming more than anything else. Doesn't help that the education system in most western countries were taken over decades ago by the far left. Do people who believe this stuff even have their own values anymore... "

This is not dialog. This is rhetoric. Positing that any worldview contrary to your own is ipso facto a product of brainwashing or apathy, doesn't leave much room for discussion.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 44 of 141, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I for one voted trump to prevent late term abortion, tax payer funded abortion, the further erosion of religious freedom, and to get obamacare at least fixed if not repealed.

Reply 45 of 141, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thread reported, body shaming and other posts lead to deletion of the thread if the powers that be will have at it...
Political discussions are notpossible here, it seems

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 46 of 141, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Yep, no surprise.

Same reason Pauline Hanson got elected in Aus this year, too.

A lot of the people that voted for her probably weren't actually THAT far right, but the other options on offer left them feeling unrepresented.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 48 of 141, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Thread reported, body shaming and other posts lead to deletion of the thread if the powers that be will have at it...
Political discussions are notpossible here, it seems

I don't know who has been body shamed but lock/delete the thread if you must, I won't be posting any more politics.

Reply 49 of 141, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, even as the world goes crazy, I hope Vogons stays a nice safe place full of nothing but retro goodness!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 52 of 141, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snorg wrote:

I just watched that Japanese Trump Commercial.

Wow... I want whatever they are smoking.

Good luck forgetting what you had just seen 😵

Anyway I am looking forward to building a period accurate quad sli micro shuttering machine 😎

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 53 of 141, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Also: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons-trumps- … ne-talks-about/
(What, a decent, thoughtful article? on cracked.com? the world has truly ended.)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 54 of 141, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

May be slightly off-topic, but seeing maps of the US this morning made me realize that people from different regions deal with very different problems, realities and aspirations.
Would the US be better off divided in 3 separate megastates? The west-coast, the central zone, and the northeast coast?

I say that because the same pattern is noticeable in Canada. British Columbia (west) and Quebec (east) very liberal and socially oriented, and the middle more conservative and down to earth.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 55 of 141, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Beegle wrote:

May be slightly off-topic, but seeing maps of the US this morning made me realize that people from different regions deal with very different problems, realities and aspirations.
Would the US be better off divided in 3 separate megastates? The west-coast, the central zone, and the northeast coast?

I say that because the same pattern is noticeable in Canada. British Columbia (west) and Quebec (east) very liberal and socially oriented, and the middle more conservative and down to earth.

I've been talking about this very thing with a friend. I'm afraid that is ultimately what is going to happen. Hopefully they would just be megastates and not separate countries unto themselves.

Reply 56 of 141, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If we had that, the east and west coasts would always vote liberal while the middle would vote conservative. Result: Conservatives are screwed. They get really mad and start an armed revolution.

Naw, I would just let California secede.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 58 of 141, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Beegle wrote:

Won't work and it would cause so many more problems that it would end very badly. This country used to be much more cohesive but internal division has completely polarized some groups and this is very bad for the nation as a whole. Doesn't help that my generation has been lost and the future isn't good for what most people expect. The rest of the world has a lot to lose because of America, should it fall the flood gates for worse will be wide open and it is bleak. An American collapse would cripple the rest of the west in ways most can barely imagine let alone the east and set things in motion that would be apocalyptic.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 59 of 141, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

The majority of people only real reason to vote for him was to tear the system down.

I'd be a lot more likely to believe that if more than two incumbents in the Senate had lost. And both were Republican-to-Democrat switches in Democratic-majority states. No incumbents lost in the primary.

Only five incumbents lost their primaries for the House, one of which was due to redistricting causing two incumbents to now share one district; two more were related to redistricting changing their demographics.
In the general election, only twelve (of 435) seats switched parties, with only seven of those switches vs. an incumbent running for re-election. (And there was a raft of Florida switches in both directions, showing shifting district boundaries, only one Florida switch wasn't "to the new dominant party in the district.")

That's nine out of 421 incumbents who ran for reelection defeated.

If we had seen a sweep of incumbents defeated, especially at the primary level, I would buy the "tear the system down" argument. But most people are "happy with their representation, hate the system, not going to do anything about it."