The American Brexit

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 141, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Destroy wrote:

The people in these 'not my president' protests going on currently come across to me as very anti-American. We had a rather crappy but fair vote and there was bound to be a winner and loser.

They are basically throwing a tantrum, and to me, are behaving very childish. I feel like those protesting, if they don't like it they can and should leave the country.

Thankfully both candidates behaved with civility and respect over the results.

Well, after Obama was elected there were the same "not my president" and the losers then threw a tantrum for eight years...
I'd say it is a normal reaction.

And leaving one's country is not that easy. Well, leaving is but getting allowed to live in other countries isn't.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 101 of 141, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
snorg wrote:
Pepe, Trump and the 2016 election: […]
Show full quote

Pepe, Trump and the 2016 election:

https://pepethefrogfaith.wordpress.com/

Could it be so?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH1Q738UEsQ

Allow me to do my best Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Mantoya voice:
"Let me sum up: sh*t posts for the lulz > oh hey guys weird stuff
going on > oh snap, we summoned Cthulu > all the bad parts
of the bible/end of the 1st Ghostbusters movie"

Of course, this being 4chan this guys evidence could of course
be cleverly cherry picked or even manufactured to fit his
narrative.

But if this isn't a goof, and this guy is deadly serious, then stuff
is gonna get even weirder.

Reply 102 of 141, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Well, after Obama was elected there were the same "not my president" and the losers then threw a tantrum for eight years...

I don't remember anything quite on the same level, or even close. For example. And what do you mean "threw a tantrum for eight years"?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 104 of 141, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't remember riots against Obama either. There was popular grassroots opposition to him and his policies in the form of the Tea Party, but that was non-violent AFAIK.

We'll probably see a liberal equivalent of the Tea Party take form now.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 105 of 141, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking to Infowars for information is like going to Smith & Wesson for health care.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 106 of 141, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Looking to Infowars for information is like going to Smith & Wesson for health care.

These are strange times. We have President Trump. Is President Jones too far off?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 107 of 141, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

These are strange times. We have President Trump. Is President Jones too far off?

Kardashian will beat him in primaries.

Reply 108 of 141, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I've had enough experience with both local and global media to know that going to "mainstream" or "official" media sources is not any better. Everyone has an agenda, and everyone pushes their agenda first, reports later. There is no such thing as fair / unbiased reporting. The only reasonable way to get anything resembling a clear, objective picture (as much as such as thing can even exist) is to go to multiple sources, each with their own bias, and try to correlate these.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 109 of 141, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:
Well, after Obama was elected there were the same "not my president" and the losers then threw a tantrum for eight years... I'd […]
Show full quote
Destroy wrote:

The people in these 'not my president' protests going on currently come across to me as very anti-American. We had a rather crappy but fair vote and there was bound to be a winner and loser.

They are basically throwing a tantrum, and to me, are behaving very childish. I feel like those protesting, if they don't like it they can and should leave the country.

Thankfully both candidates behaved with civility and respect over the results.

And leaving one's country is not that easy. Well, leaving is but getting allowed to live in other countries isn't.

I wasn't happy about Obama, but i didn't go riot about it. I waited 2 years to see what he would do, then when he started to ignore the Constitution and appoint czars instead of a cabinet i realized he was a tyrant.

You can be assured that if trump acts the same way you will see the conservatives on the war path again calling for his head as we called for Obummers and Killarys

Reply 110 of 141, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I've had enough experience with both local and global media to know that going to "mainstream" or "official" media sources is not any better. Everyone has an agenda, and everyone pushes their agenda first, reports later. There is no such thing as fair / unbiased reporting. The only reasonable way to get anything resembling a clear, objective picture (as much as such as thing can even exist) is to go to multiple sources, each with their own bias, and try to correlate these.

I'm sorry. Anyone who devotes so much time to talking about FEMA death camps and shape shifting lizard people doesn't need a radio show, they need professional help.

By the way, I didn't say anything about mainstream media. MSM has done a horrible job this election cycle. Jumping in the clown car is no answer.

Reply 111 of 141, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

I'm sorry. Anyone who devotes so much time to talking about FEMA death camps and shape shifting lizard people doesn't need a radio show, they need professional help.

By the way, I didn't say anything about mainstream media. MSM has done a horrible job this election cycle. Jumping in the clown car is no answer.

That is completely true, but seeing that most such clowns don't really generate their own reports, but merely recycle what they see elsewhere, I would not ignore something just because it also appears on the website of such a clown. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make, not that you should actively go to them for information.

Reply 113 of 141, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

It's called millennials, they didn't get their way so now they want to throw a fit.

Hogwash.

It's a tiny subset of a group of people placed at the extreme end of the political spectrum.

"Millennials" is anyone born after like 1987 or something. That's a LOT of people.

Everybody since forever thinks "young people" are horrible. Socrates even complained about young people:

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

Edit: And as if people voicing their opinions somehow needed justification... Well... maybe some of them are right to be upset: http://imgur.com/gallery/Bleem

Edit2: All this said, Kanye West 2020!!!!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 114 of 141, by rkrenicki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PeterLI wrote:

Trust me! America will be GREAT AGAIN! 😀

You keep saying that.. but until I see some tangible improvement.. I highly doubt it. Besides.. if what we have right now is American being "Great".. then this sucks.

I agree that Trump never expected or desired the presidency. I think he took the opportunity to see how far he could push the envelope and make a few bucks on a "how I ran for president" book. Now he is stuck with it (unless some major upset in the Electoral vote come December occurs), and has no idea how to make actually his support base happy. Especially since a large portion of his claims and promises are next to impossible to enact, even with complete Republican control of the Senate.

Reply 115 of 141, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote:

That is completely true, but seeing that most such clowns don't really generate their own reports, but merely recycle what they see elsewhere, I would not ignore something just because it also appears on the website of such a clown. That's kind of the point I'm trying to make, not that you should actively go to them for information.

Even organizations which are more "mainstream", like Drudge or Breitbart, have a history of manufacturing stories from whole cloth.

Incidently, I didn't know the "Righteous Daughters of Jihadi Excellence" story line from "The Newsroom" was actually something which happened.

PeterLI wrote:

What I have seen, traveling the US, plus experience first hand is that an America that used to be a society based on European immigration and Christianity with an ability for people who were willing to work to make a decent living and raise a family has been replaced by aggressive immigration / Islamization, near full dependency on the federal government (section 8, food stamps, Obama-care, welfare, disability, extended unemployment) and replacement of white males in the workforce. Combined with international trade (e.g. moving jobs abroad, importing vast numbers of foreign workers to the US). Not a surprise that a totally destroyed heartland is fed up. Plus that many white voters in coastal states and urban areas are revolting as well. 😀 These are undisputed facts. Globalization and being open to the world and giving away $ to the rest of the world is a great Utopian / ethical bonanza for liberals but it destroys prosperity / stability for the people who built the USA. The same applies unequivocally to any other western society.

These are not undisputed facts.

I agree that international trade certainly has made it possible to exploit cheap labor and resulted in decimation of jobs in the industrial heartland. In some ways this is inevitable (unless you choose to be insular like North Korea), but neither the Dems or Repubs have done a very good job of ensuring free trade is also fair trade, nor has there been sufficient work done to promote new businesses and industries for those peoples and regions affected.

On the other hand, the belief that poor people have a sweet ride, that women and minorities participating in society at large have "stolen" the rights and opportunities of white men, and the fear of the great brown scourge are all useless distractions from more serious discussions that we need to be having as nations and societies.

I grew up in rural farming country and you will have to go far to find finer people. It makes me ashamed to see such toxic rhetoric being supported by people for whom I feel such kinship, rhetoric which they would so often be ashamed to use to a person's face.